Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How to break-in your new motorcycle.  (Read 1821 times)

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
How to break-in your new motorcycle.
« on: October 18, 2018, 09:28:50 PM »
A topic we all need to know at some point:

https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/how-to-break-in-your-motorcycle

Chico

Offline grunty-motor

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XCA
Re: How to break-in your new motorcycle.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 08:27:10 PM »
some good advice in there.

I doubt though, that the bikes are dyno run in factory.

Offline RoadWarrior

• Ex Member
  • Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 01:57:59 PM »
Certainly Suzuki do a dyno run on every single one that comes off line.  The series Twist the Throttle IIRC goes into detail on a number of manufacturers and their history,  this one thing stuck in my head.

For anyone who's interested Youtube has it.

Offline JMc

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger800
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 01:07:45 PM »
All triumph bikes go on a dyno/rolling road at the factory, speaking to one of the testers, engineering sometimes deliberately send a bike through with the timing off to see if the the tester picks it up.....they can tell mainly by sound if the engine has not been put together properly.

Jmc

Online Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 01:31:15 PM »
Yep, as JMc, they make a big point of the machining tolerances they achieve, the 100% inspection and the full testing malarkey, they recheck any of the ex-factory/ directors/ press bikes as well before shipping them out to dealers
Now available in "Batman"

Online Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 01:38:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
A topic we all need to know at some point:

https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/how-to-break-in-your-motorcycle

Chico

A lot better than much of the garbage talked on the subject, largely a matter of common sense, you'll need to take it fairly steady to start with anyhow, so you get used to the bike, I like the comment about doing some commuting and using all the gears, too often people go out on a long run in 5th or 6th and neglect all the other gears.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 09:28:35 PM »
The old chestnut: "Break 'em in fast and they'll be fast."
But, the article above is spot-on about being too kind (probably seems odd to some that that might be the case..?).
Nowadays, too, with bikes' performance capabilities so great (from the article): "If you havent made any full-throttle runs up to redline yet, now is the time to do it" may become an issue..?
Some folks may be choosing a bit of a wrong bike..?
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Online Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 01:06:22 PM »
I don't hold with the idea that you need to rev the nuts off a bike to get the rings to seat in properly, just because you can get away with this sort of thing doesn't mean you should.

This is often the race bike mantra and "Motorman" has a lot to say on this subject, for me, if you want your engine to last only 5,000 miles, then go ahead  :138:

I also agree that pootling around at low revs does no good either and can lead to glazed bores and problems later, you need to be varying the revs and using all the gears, blips over the suggested revs will do no harm and gradually increasing the revs from about half the break-in period onwards, just don't be an idiot and blast away from the dealership with a cold engine, they'll be rubbing their little hands and totting up your first service bills  :016:

A couple of longer weekend runs and some commuting, or short weekdays rides and you should be done, it's not like you need to spend a month, or two running any bike, or car in any more, and don't forget you're also bedding in all the bearings and bushes, etc, it's not just the engine parts  :028:

Offline 3bangin

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 800xca
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 07:21:43 PM »
I generally give a new bike a break for the first 50 miles then it business as unusual.
In 2002, I purchased a new Speed triple. I left the dealership in a power wheelie to the rev limiter.
The next weekend a track day.
First oil change was at 1000 miles.
I put 50,000 miles on it before selling it to a guy that is still riding it.
It was the best running 955 I had ever ridden.

I'm not advocating doing this but it sure didn't hurt it. A good engine builder friend always reminded me, besides seating the rings, the engine is at optimal spec when new.
Food for thought.
Live life! Live long and ride like hell!

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 08:28:43 PM »
Over the years I have noticed that it is invariably those who describe a bike as my baby and who talk about running the bike in as per the user manual and never exceeding the rev limits that are asking about excessive oil consumption.
I have never ever read a post from anybody saying that they rode it like they stole it and have oil burning or any long term engine issues.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch