Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How to break-in your new motorcycle.  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Zaphod

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC, Fazer 600
Re: How to break-in your new motorcycle.
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 09:49:25 PM »
On two occasions, I have bought a pair of identical bikes, (2 Triumph Trophies, then 2 Pan Europeans) - each time, the first bike I ran in I did according to the book, took it to the dealer for the first service and rode away on the second. As I'd been used to more freedom on the first bike, I found it very difficult to restrict myself to "the book", and therefore the second bike was worked more from the off. Still respected, but with more throttle and higher revs.

Sure, it's not scientific - but in both cases, the second of the pairs ended up being a much better bike. Should I buy a new bike again in the future, it'll not be getting the full kid gloves treatment. :152:

Offline Monterey10

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRT
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 10:28:39 PM »
From new, I ride the bike normally, but stop every 10 minutes for a complete cool down.  You can see the heat shimmering around the motor.   Later on, I might run 15 minutes, then 20 with a cool down. After about 300 miles, Ill ride for 30~40 minutes with a cool off.  I prefer the stop and go of a large Blvd.   I avoid prolonged single speeds.   By Allowing cooling I hope to prevent hot spots from burning in the engine.

I've had one new bike that needed rings because they never seated.   So, these days,  I will open the bike up trying to seat the rings. Never letting the RPMs get too high. Also,  I've had better luck
breaking a motor using GN4 as compared to the Synthetic oils.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 10:35:37 PM by Monterey10 »

Offline 3bangin

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 800xca
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 11:02:25 PM »
Modern water cooled motorcycle engine aren't much different than car engines other than the clutch and transmission sharing the same oil. That said, why dont car manufacturers have the same requirements.
I just added a new 2018 tiger 800 xca to the stable and I was originally going out of state to do a fly and ride.
I would have loaded it and rode it the 700 miles home.
Live life! Live long and ride like hell!

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 01:15:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by 3bangin [+]
That said, why dont car manufacturers have the same requirements.

They do. It's just that nobody reads the manual. At least a small proportion of motorcycle riders do.
My car manual talks about driving for the first 1000km and then up to 1500km to run the vehicle in properly. Never read it at the time but your post made me go back and look.
Like a lot of things in any user manual the info is there as much to cover the butt of the manufacturer as it is to offer useful consumer advice.

Offline 3bangin

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 800xca
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 01:19:58 AM »
Well hell your probably right. Now I have to check my manuals.
I've probably never run in a car correctly either lol!

Lol, never had a problem either...    ........
Live life! Live long and ride like hell!

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 10:54:34 AM »
Most people look to be running them in.  :492:
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch