Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Scrambler 1200 - 21" Front Wheel  (Read 1272 times)

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: New Scrambler 1200 - 21" Front Wheel
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 04:57:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
Scrambler is 36 spoke front, 32 spoke rear, same as the XC. Rim transplant?

Looks like hub nipples rather than rim so that'll be a ... no
They're a bugger to true up too.

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 11:16:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]

Thanks KM but I have already contacted Alpina, they don't make them for the T800 :(  Kineo do but cost the earth shipped to the land down under!

https://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Kineo-Wire-Spoked-Wheels-Triumph-Tiger-800XC-XCX-XCA-2011-onwards.html
Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 05:24:14 PM »
The engine is from a Thruxton I believe.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 06:27:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by fac191 [+]
The engine is from a Thruxton I believe.
Correct. Retuned for more torque.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Online Bikerjimbob

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800xca
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 08:16:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bladerunner99 [+]
Thanks KM but I have already contacted Alpina, they don't make them for the T800 :(  Kineo do but cost the earth shipped to the land down under!

Wow you are right approx $5500 by the time they land in Australia thats a third of the cost of what I paid for the whole bike :156:
Pleased I went down the aluminium wheel route only paid $800 for a complete set including discs, sprocket, and tyres all off a 2016 XRT.
Makes for a quick swop over aluminium for long distance road work and spoked wheels to be able to enjoy the massive amount of dirt roads here.
Still don't understand why Triumph haven't fitted tubeless rims to the 800 even if they only fitted them to the top of the range model XCA with optional extra on lesser models.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:22:21 PM by Bikerjimbob »

Offline bluesman

• Tiger Master
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 11:26:15 AM »
I am going to feel like a traitor now. I just sold my Tiger to get Scrambler 1200xc.
I now have...had '12 800xc with about 60 000 on the clock (brilliant bike and love it so much I only sold it to close friend) and for pure fun of it '17 Bobber.
I have actually seen and sat on Scrambler 1200. If you think it is any less capable than Tiger - you kidding yoursef. It is not heavier and cg lower. The suspension is lot better. Brakes are damn top shelf radial monoblock Brembos on 320 disks. And while seat on XE with monster 250 mm suspension travel is much too high for me - the XC with 200 mm travel felt totally identical to my Tiger with low seat. And I fully fully agree they should have put 19" on XC model for sake of 2 component rubber and lowering seat more. I am shortarse, so I am very sensitive to seat height. But I absolutely would not scuff at this bike abilities. I see a lot of tought in it. And 110 nm of torque can get you long way. Obviously its going to lose to Tiger in wind protection thou. But that motor is brilliant and makes me laugh each time I ride bobber. Which has much lower hp version of it.
I think it is perfect compliment to current line. Go practical and contemporary - Tiger. Go retro and fun - Scrambler.

Sit on one before you judge it.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 11:57:30 AM »
I'm also liking the XC version.  Your wait now begins!   :031:

Also liking the new street scrambler and Norton Atlas Nomad.  Decisions, decisions
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 07:54:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by bluesman [+]

Maybe I'm old school but I have always found it is better to actually ride a bike to assess its suitability rather than simply sitting on one.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 10:11:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by bluesman [+]
I have actually seen and sat on Scrambler 1200. If you think it is any less capable than Tiger - you kidding yoursef. It is not heavier and cg lower. The suspension is lot better. Brakes are damn top shelf radial monoblock Brembos on 320 disks. And while seat on XE with monster 250 mm suspension travel is much too high for me - the XC with 200 mm travel felt totally identical to my Tiger with low seat. And I fully fully agree they should have put 19" on XC model for sake of 2 component rubber and lowering seat more.
Go practical and contemporary - Tiger. Go retro and fun - Scrambler.

Sounds brilliant, good on ya pal. The XC or the new Speed Twin I rec'n for me, have to see both in the flesh first. The best bike I've ever owned I ordered from seeing a mag pic, never even sat on it. The fantastic Gen1 ST955i, imo still the best bike to come out of the Triumph factory by a long shot.

Now arthritis has set in following a huge high side I need comfort so will need a sit on the new 1200 models. Don't matter what they ride like if I'm not comfy but even more so, if they aint eye sweet.

Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Online StretchToo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XC 2013
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 10:36:25 AM »
Having just sold a 790 bonnie I'd say a 1200 bonnie with a few mods is a great choice if you're after a 19" wheel twin for light off-roading I took the bonnie up bumpy forestry trails and similar with no difficulty - modifications consisted of skid plate, engine bars and standing up. I agree 19" wheels are adequate for most off-road duty.

However I'm 6'3" and really like the idea of the new "extra tall" 1200 - too expensive for me at the moment but it looks very much like 800 Tiger XC geometry with the 1200 engine, and as mentioned above very similar weight.

The other option for a higher performance scrambler with a 19" front wheel and a lot less money would be the 900 scrambler with a 200 tec camshaft fitted, good for 80+bhp IIRC and a lot less guess work than swapping rims and sorting out suspension - I considered one before my Tiger landed in my lap.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch