Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Firmware upgrade coming for all TFT screen Tigers  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Firmware upgrade coming for all TFT screen Tigers
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 04:14:28 PM »
They could have built it in like many other manufacturers do, seems to be a failing at the design stage IMO
Now it'll be more expensive to do on new bikes coming off the line, which I bet the upgraders will have to pay for royally

We'll see - but as a benchmark, the similarly named KTM MyRide was 8 for the app and a free software update to enable it.

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline NeoHurricane

• Tiger Member
  • Live, Love & Respect
  • Bike: '18 Tiger 800XRT
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 06:34:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by NeoHurricane [+]
I was discussing the new Scrambler with Pidcocks but they didn't mention an upgrade being available, didn't specifically ask about it to be fair...
Update:  Today Pidcocks posted something on Facebook that the new connectivity will be available late Spring...

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 06:16:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
They could have built it in like many other manufacturers do, seems to be a failing at the design stage IMO
Now it'll be more expensive to do on new bikes coming off the line, which I bet the upgraders will have to pay for royally

We'll see - but as a benchmark, the similarly named KTM MyRide was 8 for the app and a free software update to enable it.
My reading of what is being said is that device IS being fitted at no extra cost to all bikes  with the TFT screen from spring. Its an optional retrofit on all TFT bikes sold BEFORE then.

I don't know when the TFT screens were first introduced, but it feels to me tgat this is something they always intended to introduce but ran out of time or possibly, whoever builds their display module had always had this in mind from first design.

There is no comment on costs. Will it will be significantly more expensive on new bikes remains to be seen, whether upgrades will pay royally likewise. Auto electronics can be a harsh world which a USB dongle may not fit.

It may not be of any use on Scrambler or the mist of the traditional range as those are appealing to the hipster range, and we all know hipsters like Apple, and this is powered by Google  :492:

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC & Explorer
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 07:32:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
I wonder where the dongle will plug in?
Possibly here...?
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,24111.0.html

Unused switched supply with CAN bus signals (read through the pages of the link).

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 11:10:48 AM »
My thoughts exactly the same. 
Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline bucksfizz

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 10:26:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
Possibly here...?
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,24111.0.html

Unused switched supply with CAN bus signals (read through the pages of the link).

Drat! If that's the case, then some of us will have to find a new power supply for our sat navs.
Why doesn't Triumph give us a switched power supply for accessories?
I have one on my cheap KTM 390 Duke, and BMW supplies a special sat nav power supply under the headstock on the R1200 GS.

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 10:38:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by bucksfizz [+]
Drat! If that's the case, then some of us will have to find a new power supply for our sat navs.
I have one on my cheap KTM 390 Duke, and BMW supplies a special sat nav power supply under the headstock on the R1200 GS.

so use a self powered USB hib, say one with two outputs.
or knock up a Y cable
All you want is power on one socket and data + power on the other.

but check the power demand of your GPS to see if its not already at or near maximum

of course the other approach is to ditch your GPS and use the alternative nav service offered by this mooted device. as to what the costs for the service weill be I don't know.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a subscription service

Offline bucksfizz

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2018, 10:52:07 AM »
Some good suggestions there, healdem.
From what I've seen of the sat nav on the TFT, it's going to be a simple turn by turn display at the bottom right; it won't be a full map.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2018, 11:08:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by bucksfizz [+]

Buy a 3 fuse solution from Eastern Beaver. 
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Recent Topics

winded-staunch