Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Firmware upgrade coming for all TFT screen Tigers  (Read 6620 times)

Offline Moz from Oz

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: '19 Tiger 800XRT
Re: Firmware upgrade coming for all TFT screen Tigers
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2019, 10:37:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by ozrob [+]
I wonder if Triumph UK will notify the dealers in Australia that the TFT upgrade will be available, as I am keen to have it on my XCA 800 due to being able to connect the phone to the screen and use the toggle buttons to accept or reject calls.

I just picked up my new 2019 Tiger 800XRT and ask the salesman about the upgrade,
he said they are expecting to launch it in November this year, you will need to buy a bluetooth module worth about $250.
It basically will work like the Android Auto I have in my new Pajero Sport where it uses all the function of your mobile phone,
eg: receiving and making calls all hands free, Google maps, will read out and send your messages for your, play your music, all this is done with voice commands.
If it works as good as my Pajero I will be very happy.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2019, 12:17:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by Moz from Oz [+]
eg: receiving and making calls all hands free, Google maps, will read out and send your messages for your, play your music, all this is done with voice commands.

First of all you need to be careful about Maps. The Triumph system will not actually display a map. It will simply display an arrow indicating what to do. Say turn left in 2 km sort of thing.
Secondly to access the things like phones or music you need an in helmet BT system like a Sena or Cardo or other brand and those systems already do virtually all the functions the Triumph (or any other current motorcycle brand) version of the software can so so effectively you will be paying $250 plus probably another $100 fitting charge to Peter Stevens to basically duplicate what your headset already does by connecting directly to a phone.. If you spend $150 on a cheap Android based motorcycle GPS from eBay and another $50-$70 on an eBay headset you will not only have everything the Triumph system has but you will also have a 5 display proper map for routes plus effectively a 5 Android tablet to use for things like email and web browsing if you want.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 12:19:52 AM by K1W1 »

Offline Q

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2019 800 XCA
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2019, 06:44:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
First of all, you need to be careful about Maps. The Triumph system will not actually display a map.

Agree - looked at the PR blurb about the update and went "so what" - already have all of that (and more) including a Sena BT interface for the two-way radios we use when marshalling. All that this additional BT unit will do, is to compete for primacy with the other BT kit I already have - seems that only one BT unit can be the primary transceiver in any setup - the other units all act as secondary units? Guess that's why you have to connect your phone to the GPS first and then connect the GPS to the headset - the GPS is the primary and relays your phone to the headset.

So the upgrade now probably wants to make the TFT the primary BT transceiver and it will simply regurgitate whatever directions Google Maps on your phone wants to send to you. It theoretically negates the need for a separate GPS on the bike, but it will cost you a fortune in mobile data costs. Besides, where I usually ride on the backroads in South Africa, there is neither cellphone reception and Google Maps goes "HUH?" because according to them, there is no road where I've been riding for the past few hours.

At the point now where, unless I need to connect/switch kit on for marshalling duties, I leave all of it off/at home and simply pipe some decent music from my ancient Ipod into my headset via an aux cable - if I missed your call, well that is just toughski shitski as they say in the Russian Marines.

What I will do with the Triumph BT unit, is to see if it hooks up with the TigerTools kit that this forum so kindly provided - if it works, that might justify the purchase.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 06:57:09 AM by Q »
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2019, 11:19:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by Q [+]
Guess that's why you have to connect your phone to the GPS first and then connect the GPS to the headset - the GPS is the primary and relays your phone to the headset.

I don't do that with my Sena 20S on my Shoei X2 helmet or my Sena SRL on my Neotec. Both connect independently to the phone and to the GPS. That way when I am riding the Tiger if the GPS is fitted I get both phone and GPS and if it is not I get phone only. When I'm riding my Ducati with no GPS I get phone only.
Generally I turn audio instructions off from the GPS anyway unless I am leading a ride that goes somewhere I am not too sure about. I find that the GPS audio instructions always interrupt discussions with SWMBO.

but it will cost you a fortune in mobile data costs. Besides, where I usually ride on the backroads in South Africa,

Maps do not generally use much if any mobile data on a ride. Sections of map are downloaded to the phone and all the GPS calculations and instructions are done from within the phone using its own GPS chip to figure out where it is independent of the mobile network. That is how your Google Maps think you are not on a road. If you have the ability to download and use topo maps that situation would be removed. There is a company here in Australia that does topo maps for phones there may be one in SA.

I doubt very much that you will be able to use the Triumph BT module with Tiger Tools. It would be nice if you could but I suspect Triumph would lock that down fairly hard otherwise it opens up a Pandoras box of people being potentially able to access their bikes remotely maybe even without the owners knowledge and do nasty things to them.

The other thing to consider with this feature is that here in Australia at least it will cost something in the $300+ range fitted and it will add exactly $0 to the resale value of the bike and will not be able to be transferred to another bike (at least not without cost I'm sure). Buying a BT headset and a separate motorcycle specific GPS can be done for the same or less money and that equipment can be transferred to another bike or sold separately if required plus offers more functionality.

Offline Q

• Tiger Member
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2019, 01:28:07 PM »
I don't do that with my Sena 20S on my Shoei X2 helmet or my Sena SRL on my Neotec. Both connect independently to the phone and to the GPS.

Have BT in the SRC system collar in a Schuberth E1 and the instructions to connect are as per the manual. Has been a total pain in the ar$& especially since I unnecessarily over-complicated my own life by introducing a further BT transceiver for two-way radio comms. Glad to hear that you seem to have good results with a all-Sena setup.

Think the BT protocols might well be different but frankly I've just given up with the whole comms thing - interferes with the sound of the Akropovic pipe on the bike anyway :-)

Apropos the roads, have dedicated dirt track/back road maps from a local mapping co (Tracks4Africa) loaded on the GPS - Google Maps on a TFT screen are never going to be able to match that.

Agree with you that the kit will add zero value to the bike - both from a re-sale and, in my particular case, a functionality point-of-view.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 01:29:44 PM by Q »
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2019, 02:08:31 PM »
AFAIK the Schubeth SRC system is made by Sena.
I have mates who have recently switched to Schubeth C4 helmets with the SRC and neither of them like it. That is one of the reasons I stayed with Shoei and purchased the Neotec. The only issue I have with the Neotec SRL is that there is no way to plug an aux source in like you can on the 20S.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2019, 03:42:18 PM »
AFAIK the Schubeth SRC system is made by Sena.
I have mates who have recently switched to Schubeth C4 helmets with the SRC and neither of them like it. That is one of the reasons I stayed with Shoei and purchased the Neotec. The only issue I have with the Neotec SRL is that there is no way to plug an aux source in like you can on the 20S.

It used to be Cardo so there's likely to be a mix out there
I prefer the Sena 10U in a Schuberth
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Q

• Tiger Member
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2019, 04:55:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
It used to be Cardo so there's likely to be a mix out there
I prefer the Sena 10U in a Schuberth

My SRC is quite old - took it out of my C3 when I got the E1 and must admit that apart from the fact that it is very picky about which BT devices it wants to pair with, I've had good service out of it and can't complain.

The E1 is good while I'm marshalling as you often have to speak to cagers/pedestrians/cyclists and the modular works well for that. As an adv helmet, it sucks - not enough airflow when riding dirt tracks with too many nooks and crannies to clean and get the dust out of. It is actually just a C2 with a peak and I bought an Arai X4 for the dirty road riding - louder than the E1 on the road but an absolute pleasure in terms of fit and airflow. Stuck an old Sena first gen BT unit on that just for the sake of listening to music.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2019, 12:51:53 AM »
The E1 is good while I'm marshalling as you often have to speak to cagers/pedestrians/cyclists and the modular works well for that.

Same reason I relented and purchased the Neotec. I have 4 cycling events to do between now and Christmas then more in the new year through till mid March.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch