Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Top box  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Thundercat

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Triumph tiger 80
Top box
« on: November 10, 2018, 04:27:20 PM »
Evening all, just a quick one. Having g just purchased my 63 plate 800 roadie, has got the triumph top box, I have got but never used givi maxia 3 55ltr top box. Which one would be the best option  ?? I know will need the adapter plate for the givi box. Dom  :465:

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
Re: Top box
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 05:09:06 PM »
if you have the OEM topbox + sliding rail kit + original lock barrel, then  id suggest stick with that. why because it works its keyed to the ignition switch so one less key to cart around

if you feel you need to cart around a humungous amount of low weight but high volume crap then the givi 55ltr

if the OEM box is currently working, then in my books use it. why mess around

Offline Thundercat

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 05:15:31 PM »
That was my kind of thinking  :152:

Offline Tigermainia

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRt
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 09:41:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by Thundercat [+]
Evening all, just a quick one. Having g just purchased my 63 plate 800 roadie, has got the triumph top box, I have got but never used givi maxia 3 55ltr top box. Which one would be the best option  ?? I know will need the adapter plate for the givi box. Dom  :465:

Wait until spring and put the Givi top box on eBay (if you decide to stick with OEM) they always sell like hotcakes with the touring season coming up!!!!!  :046: :152:
From '61 to present - BSA C12, Royal Enfield Crusader Sports, Tiger 110, T120R Bonnie, BMW R50, Suzuki GT185, T120 Bonnie, KE 175, BMW R75, GSX750, FJ1200, XJR1300, FZ1000, Sprint1050 & Street Triple, Sprint1050, Speedtriple, Sprint1050, Sprint GT, Trophy 1215, Speedtriple & Bonneville, XRx, XRt

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 10:18:26 AM »
I'd bung that heavyweight inside out tardis of a Triumph topbox on ebay. Or stick it in the loft until you sell the bike. My Triumph panniers are in the loft, I fitted Trax panniers that I can get my camping gear in, I have a Givi trekker 52L topbox that comfortably fits both our Aria hats & gloves.

Your 55L Givi will take 2 helmets or one & coat at a push. When empty it won't be bouncing up & down like the Triumph one does, it'll likely be only half the weight.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 01:00:05 PM »
With a Givi plate fitted, you have the option of a range of Givi and Kappa topboxes. If you were starting from scratch, that's what I'd recommend. However, that would cost you extra money, whereas staying with what you have and selling the topbox will net you money.
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900

Offline steve@lincs

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 01:30:54 PM »
+1 what Paulhere said.  Ok you have to buy a new plate, but that cost would be offset by increased versitility of a decent sized topbox.  Really depends what you use a topbox for.   If you use the oem and find you can live with it, then youve lost nothing.    More choice is always harder than less choice!

Offline Thundercat

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 07:31:31 PM »
Also less weight, as oem one bit on heavy side ? Would it be possible to fit triumph lock into my givi box ? Just to save having another key on keyring   :187:

Offline johntee

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 xca red
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 07:45:34 PM »
If anyone has fitted the triumph barrel into a Givi box I would also be very interested. When the tiger 800 first came out I bought a roadie and it came with the Triumph box. I always thought I looked like a pizza delivery rider with that on and hated it. Probably one of the reasons I sold the bike after under a year, never really got on with it. However tried a new xca A couple of months ago and loved it enough to buy one, a vast improvement on the original version, the only negative was a very large increase in the price!
But then you dont get owt for nowt!

Offline Pockets

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XRX
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 05:47:47 PM »
Hope this doesnt sound daft but why does it cost so much for the plate that goes between the bike and your top box fitting plate? I took delivery o my 2015 Tiger XRX today and thought it would be a two minute job to fit my 20 ebay top box, I removed the plastic tray expecting to be able to line up three of four fixing points to screw my one size fits all adapter plate to the bike, but no it will need a good deal of thought to work out a workable solution.
Unless someone already knows.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch