Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Smaller Master Cylinder on Tiger  (Read 5153 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline KildareMan

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 8007
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
  • Location: Naas Ireland
Re: Smaller Master Cylinder on Tiger
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 01:37:59 PM »
Are you referring to the rear caliper?  Front's are solidly mounted to fork legs.  No floating there.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline Paulhere

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 1242
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • Location: High Peak
Re: Smaller Master Cylinder on Tiger
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 01:51:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
Are you referring to the rear caliper?  Front's are solidly mounted to fork legs.  No floating there.

They are sliding callipers all round on the T800, many refer to them as floating. Still crappy & more suited to a 250 traillie.

https://www.superstreetbike.com/brake-calipers-explained-braking-rules
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline KildareMan

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 8007
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
  • Location: Naas Ireland
Re: Smaller Master Cylinder on Tiger
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 01:59:47 PM »
Every day is a school day.   :300:
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline Cats

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 419
  • Bike: 800XC
Re: Smaller Master Cylinder on Tiger
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 05:09:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
Still crappy & more suited to a 250 traillie.

They're not that bad.
You want to try stopping at speed an old XS1100 weighing 568 pounds plus carrying a pillion with twin single pot calipers on the front and one rear.
The Tiger is 473 pounds and like the proverbial piece of....
Probably preaching to the converted but using a combination of front and rear brakes and engine braking down through the box works wonders.

Offline KildareMan

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 8007
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
  • Location: Naas Ireland
Re: Smaller Master Cylinder on Tiger
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 05:30:48 PM »
I really don't have an issue with the brakes.  I clean them every few months and pull some fresh fluid through every year.  They work for me.  OK not as good as the 1050 radials but then again nothing else I've ridden is/was as good as those.  Which is just as well considering the fecking original lights on the 1050.   :015:
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline Paulhere

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 1242
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • Location: High Peak
Re: Smaller Master Cylinder on Tiger
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 05:47:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by Cats [+]
They're not that bad.
You want to try stopping at speed an old XS1100 weighing 568 pounds plus carrying a pillion with twin single pot calipers on the front and one rear.

Yes, they're probably better than a '70's XS1100 brakes, they were only just on a par with the SLS drums on old Brits from the 60's.


*Originally Posted by Cats [+]
The Tiger is 473 pounds and like the proverbial piece of....
Probably preaching to the converted but using a combination of front and rear brakes and engine braking down through the box works wonders.

Meanwhile you've just been T boned by white van man.


You really should not have to compare the brakes of a modern 130mph bike with that of a 40'odd year old gargantuan with historic braking & the steering of the Torrey canyon. Or make such allowances that result in you being overtaken by Lambrettas.

Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Cats

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 419
  • Bike: 800XC
Re: Smaller Master Cylinder on Tiger
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 05:52:04 PM »
Aye, well that's funny 'cos the old XS was/is 95hp and 130mph.

Offline Paulhere

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 1242
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • Location: High Peak
Re: Smaller Master Cylinder on Tiger
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 06:46:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Cats [+]
Aye, well that's funny 'cos the old XS was/is 95hp and 130mph.


Sooner you than me with those brakes & steering.  :005:

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_xs1100%2079.htm
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Paulhere

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 1242
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • Location: High Peak
Re: Smaller Master Cylinder on Tiger
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 06:57:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
I really don't have an issue with the brakes.  I clean them every few months and pull some fresh fluid through every year.  They work for me.  OK not as good as the 1050 radials but then again nothing else I've ridden is/was as good as those.  Which is just as well considering the fecking original lights on the 1050.   :015:

The brakes are better than the single disc single pot slider on my Yam Serow, all depends what we compare them with.
The lights on the 1050's were sorted 5 years ago when they introduced the Tiger Sport. They were pretty bad on the old 955's anorl. But nowt like the old 6volt stuff. Things do move on, if slowly. Hard to keep up innit.  :110:
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline T-Rever

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 106
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
  • Location: Felixstowe
Re: Smaller Master Cylinder on Tiger
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 07:09:22 PM »
I find the Tiger brakes more than adequate,but I am used to old 'Brit' iron (Drum brakes) I had to do an emergency stop the other day and I found myself with the rear wheel in the air, a stoppie I think you call it. It's really a case of what you are used to..

 


Recent Topics