Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Smaller Master Cylinder on Tiger  (Read 5155 times)

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
Re: Smaller Master Cylinder on Tiger
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 02:57:18 AM »
how many variables are there to make the brakes good?  the way I see, not so many.  fixed callipers are much better than floating ones.  radial callipers make insignificant difference compared to axial in terms of braking power.  radial MC is better than axial but it should not make a huge difference.  good brake pads play important role but these are easy to change.  good rotors are important too, but I would think that the ones on Tiger are adequate.  since fitting monoblocks on Tiger would be challenging, and costly, there is no other way but staying with the oem ones.  I still believe that what is wrong with the Tiger set up is wrong MC/callipers ratio.  I experienced such great improvement in other bikes changing that ratio, that I find it the cheapest and more effective way to radically transform the braking experience.  After changing MC, my Vulcan S brakes much better than Tiger; true, it is a lighter bike, but not that light, and it does have only single disc.

I did invest much in Versys 1000.  I changed it to Brembo Radial callipers and Radial RCS MC.  But it was only when I went against Brembo recommendations and replaced the 19 RCS MC with 17 RCS, that the real magic happened.  It is not the same bike anymore.  The braking is several times more effective than in the OEM system. 

Also, I do not personally think that Brembo callipers are better than the Japanese ones.  The design of callipers is pretty simple and I am sure Japanese are clever enough to make it right.  In fact, I have two enflields, bullets, that I fitted with front disc brakes.  The one with calliper made by an obscure Indian company performs actually better than the other made by a company affiliated to Brembo, which incidentally looks the same as the one fitted on the new Tiger.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 03:38:36 AM by Kris »

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 09:15:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by T-Rever [+]
I find the Tiger brakes more than adequate,but I am used to old 'Brit' iron (Drum brakes) I had to do an emergency stop the other day and I found myself with the rear wheel in the air, a stoppie I think you call it. It's really a case of what you are used to..

..after a sub 10 sec qtr.  :020:
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 10:17:59 AM »
I got impatient waiting for Vulcan MC, and made an experiment with smaller reservoir Honda Mc which has the same piston.  I had to fit an adaptor to connect it.  The reservoir is too small, not on account of the amount of brake fluid i can contain, but the empty space for the Calliper pistons to return, so I had to put very little brake fluid.

Anyway, as I expected the results are amazing.  I would not be far off if I said that the bike brakes 10 times better!  Absolutely no effort is needed to stop the bike.  I have short levers, and even then I need to use my single finger sensitively in braking, even with high speed.

However, I have a problem.  The brake switch cable in Tiger has 4 wires.  Why they have to do everything different in UK?? The connector in both Honda and Kawasaki is made for two wires, so I have no idea how to connect it.  Does anyone has some idea?

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 10:20:01 AM »
here is the picture.

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 02:40:45 PM »
ok, so i managed to squeeze the OEM brake switch adaptor.   

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2018, 12:27:01 PM »
Considering lack of any response I assume that that most members here are minimalistic, or conservative.. as long as the bike stops, they are happy?? using front and rare brakes together with engine braking, so at last it stops?  come on!!   paying so much money for a such a powerful bike  with crappy brakes and being happy with the situation is not a very intelligent approach.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 12:29:14 PM by Kris »

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2018, 01:02:09 PM »
I agree ^^^in that the brakes are crap. I was out on my Tiger 1050 on Monday after the last couple of rides on my XRx T800, No comparison in the braking, only needs the front & not a tug. That bike has adequate not great brakes vs the T800's totally inadequate set up. IMO 4 pistons has got to work better than two in brake callipers.
My '94 900 Sprint had twin front discs with 4 piston callipers.

Seeing as the 2 bikes were very similar in price & top end speed, I don't see why Triumph cost cut by fitting poor brakes to the T800. People saying to use front, back & drop cogs to slow down is the best way of sliding down the road on your ass. Sliding calliper 2 piston brakes are for tiddlers & trail bikes. More often seen on budget bikes. The T800 is hardly a cheap bike, it should have decent brakes from the off.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline D6864

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2018, 01:08:25 PM »
Which of these two scenarios is most likely?
  • You have a better understanding of motorcycle brake systems than Triumph's engineers and your modification is better under all riding scenarios and operating conditions for the life of the vehicle than the standard system
  • You're unaware of important design considerations that will cause your modified brakes to fail at some time in the future e.g. you run out of lever travel if a little air gets in the system
I'm glad you're happy with your modification and thank you for sharing it with the forum, but I won't be following your suggestion no matter how 'unintelligent' that makes me in your opinion.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2018, 01:11:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kris [+]
Considering lack of any response I assume that that most members here are minimalistic, or conservative.. as long as the bike stops, they are happy?? using front and rare brakes together with engine braking, so at last it stops?  come on!!   paying so much money for a such a powerful bike  with crappy brakes and being happy with the situation is not a very intelligent approach.

Personnally I don't see them as crappy.  They are no different than say the brakes on my DL650.  As with all systems some care and choice of replacement components - pads, sees an improvement.  In this regard the same is true of any braking system.

If you're not happy then continue as you are doing.  I've tried a smaller master cylinder and didn't like it one bit.  And the testing I did before and after the change didn't really show any improvement.

Oh and passive aggresive questioning everyone's intelligence is not an endearing trait.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2018, 01:25:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by D6864 [+]
I'm glad you're happy with your modification and thank you for sharing it with the forum, but I won't be following your suggestion no matter how 'unintelligent' that makes me in your opinion.

*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
Oh and passive aggresive questioning everyone's intelligence is not an endearing trait.

:0461:
It's bad enough (irrelevant of vote) that the UK is currently so split with it is being thrown around by media, etc. that all Brexit voters are uneducated, thicko, morons without sarcastic insults of being "unintelligent" being thrown around on a normally sociable mature Tiger forum, just because we didn't all rush to praise your mod and rush out to buy secondhand master cylinders.  :151:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Recent Topics