Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Smaller Master Cylinder on Tiger  (Read 6027 times)

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
Re: Smaller Master Cylinder on Tiger
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2018, 01:33:29 PM »
oh, you guys get too easily offended.  at least i got some response :)

smaller MC transforms the braking in the Tiger.  the OEM MC is just way too big. 

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2018, 01:36:27 PM »
Where's your quantifiable testing results.  Beause saying your set up is better than mine is just your opinion of your own bike, which could lets face it have had faulty brakes to start with.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2018, 01:37:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
Personnally I don't see them as crappy.  They are no different than say the brakes on my DL650.  As with all systems some care and choice of replacement components - pads, sees an improvement.  In this regard the same is true of any braking system.

If you're not happy then continue as you are doing.  I've tried a smaller master cylinder and didn't like it one bit.  And the testing I did before and after the change didn't really show any improvement.

Oh and passive aggresive questioning everyone's intelligence is not an endearing trait.

May I know in which way you did not like the smaller MC?  What size Mc did you fit in? 

I have 12.7 MC piston, and the lever is not even moving more than stock, while the effort to stop the bike is like many times less that stock. what is there not to like?

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2018, 01:41:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
Where's your quantifiable testing results.  Beause saying your set up is better than mine is just your opinion of your own bike, which could lets face it have had faulty brakes to start with.

I don't think so.  My bike had done only 6k km so far.  the oem set up is just plain wrong, causing the brakes to be wooden. 

I have done this modification on 5 bikes, so I have gathered some experience.  if, in order to stop the bike, you use less effort with greater efficiency, what is there to debate? 

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2018, 02:04:34 PM »
In the link below states the best way to improve braking is to increase disc radius or increase calliper piston area. That makes sense to me. if you want better brakes you need 4 piston callipers, this tallies with the braking performance of the T800's 2 pots compared to the T1050's 4 pots. Reducing m/c size will result in greater travel. If it was this simple, why didn't triumph do it.

http://stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/brake-system-and-upgrade-selection
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:14:43 PM by Paulhere »
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2018, 02:14:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
In the link below states the only way to improve braking is to increase disc radius or increase calliper piston area. That makes sense to me. if you want better brakes you need 4 piston callipers, this tallies with the braking performance of the T800's 2 pots compared to the T1050's 4 pots.

http://stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/brake-system-and-upgrade-selection

but how can you fit 4  pistons brake calliper for Tiger???   i searched a lot, I could not find one???  The spacing calliper bolts in Tiger or unique (75mm): the usual are 100 or 108mm.  I did not find anyone that has done it....

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2018, 02:17:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kris [+]
but how can you fit 4  pistons brake calliper for Tiger???   i searched a lot, I could not find one???  The spacing calliper bolts in Tiger or unique (75mm): the usual are 100 or 108mm.  I did not find anyone that has done it....

Dunno m8, without doing a lot of searching. I recently saw a T120 fitted with 6 pot Protech callipers. Got a pic of it somewhere. it was done by a guy who built a 1200 Scram from his T120.

Maybe we just have to accept it has crap brakes. This stopped me buying one back in 2011, by 2016 I thought I'd slowed down enough to accept them.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:20:07 PM by Paulhere »

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2018, 03:00:45 PM »
All talked about 6 years ago to no avail. Wouldn't we think the after market boys would have come up with some 4 pots by now.

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,5302.0.html

And 7 years ago

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,2732.0.html
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 03:03:45 PM by Paulhere »

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2018, 03:16:49 PM »
still, 12.7 MC brings such a bit improvement! how can people not see it? the MC/calliper ratio is just plain wrong in Tiger!   I can stop the bike immediately with one finger!  In fact, considering that the lever is not even moving more than in OEM 14mm calliper, the 11mm Mc could work even better!?

The problem is that all these smaller MC's have too small reservoirs, hence I opted for Vulcan S MC . 

Something that I did not share before, I filled the brake fluid in the Honda MC (crf25L) according to specifications and my callipers'  seized, because there was not enough space/air for the pistons to return.  it was rather scary. as my bike just dead stopped, so i needed some of the brake fluid to take out.  The Vulcan S has even bigger reservoir than Tiger, so there should be no problem.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 03:32:37 PM by Kris »

Recent Topics

winded-staunch