Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Smaller Master Cylinder on Tiger  (Read 8505 times)

Offline walt

• Tiger Master
Re: Smaller Master Cylinder on Tiger
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2018, 03:37:21 PM »
coming off a Tracer 900 (4 pot calipers) to the Tiger, (18 XR) I felt a big difference, however my main issue isn't actual stopping power, the Tiger is fine although it takes a harder pull, (which I don't mind, I don't want 1 finger brakes) I think they just lack any sensitivity at lower pressure applications.....quite wooden in feel...not the end of the world though...

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2018, 04:19:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by walt [+]
coming off a Tracer 900 (4 pot calipers) to the Tiger, (18 XR) I felt a big difference, however my main issue isn't actual stopping power, the Tiger is fine although it takes a harder pull, (which I don't mind, I don't want 1 finger brakes) I think they just lack any sensitivity at lower pressure applications.....quite wooden in feel...not the end of the world though...

the wooden feeling is because the mc is too big.

Offline walt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2018, 04:58:02 PM »
yeah, that's how it feels, ive moved the lever as far left/inward as it will go, this means i'm using the tip of the brake lever, extra leverage...., feels like more sensitivity

Offline bucksfizz

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2018, 02:19:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kris [+]
the wooden feeling is because the mc is too big.

This problem seems to be endemic with motor cycles.
It's a well-known problem, and my stone-age Norton Commando suffered similarly.
It had a 5/8" (~ 16 mm) master cylinder, and a popular fix is to fit one 13 - 14 mm.
I've got a Street Triple m/c (14 mm) on it now, and the brake is sooooo much better.
I don't have too much of a problem with the Tiger, but it's good to hear feedback from others.

Offline walt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2018, 02:37:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by bucksfizz [+]
This problem seems to be endemic with motor cycles.
It's a well-known problem, and my stone-age Norton Commando suffered similarly.
It had a 5/8" (~ 16 mm) master cylinder, and a popular fix is to fit one 13 - 14 mm.
I've got a Street Triple m/c (14 mm) on it now, and the brake is sooooo much better.
I don't have too much of a problem with the Tiger, but it's good to hear feedback from others.

yep, I suppose on bikes makers are maybe more concerned about locking front wheel, designing in sensitivity at low pressure without easy wheel locking with harder braking is the issue , and the answer is probably extra expense, so we get duller brakes at the cheaper end

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2018, 04:02:30 PM »
I don't get why Triumph wouldn't fit the smaller m/c if it would improve what a good many of us regard as inadequate brakes. They wouldn't lock the wheel with abs & neither would they be as good as 4 piston callipers as fitted to other similar bikes. Triumphs designers must have good reason for what they have done, those boys aren't fools.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline walt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2018, 05:23:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
I don't get why Triumph wouldn't fit the smaller m/c if it would improve what a good many of us regard as inadequate brakes. They wouldn't lock the wheel with abs & neither would they be as good as 4 piston callipers as fitted to other similar bikes. Triumphs designers must have good reason for what they have done, those boys aren't fools.

i'm quite happy with the power of the brakes, just would like a bit more sensitivity at lower operating pressure, the XRT I had a demo ride on with the Brembo calipers felt a bit better, but still a bit  wooden...

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2018, 03:06:02 PM »
Fitting smaller cylinder transformed my brakes. It is a no brainer. I just fitted the Vulcan S MC, which I got cheap from ebay second hand, and it has similar size reservoir as the stock one.  Now, i can brake the bike with one finger and there is much increased sensitivity to from brakes.  I do not buy that 'trusting' into 'manufacturer fitted bigger MC for a reason'.  With smaller MC, it is like the difference between night and day.  but if some bikers like to suffer hard brakes, this is their choice.

Offline walt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2018, 05:11:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kris [+]
Fitting smaller cylinder transformed my brakes. It is a no brainer. I just fitted the Vulcan S MC, which I got cheap from ebay second hand, and it has similar size reservoir as the stock one.  Now, i can brake the bike with one finger and there is much increased sensitivity to from brakes.  I do not buy that 'trusting' into 'manufacturer fitted bigger MC for a reason'.  With smaller MC, it is like the difference between night and day.  but if some bikers like to suffer hard brakes, this is their choice.

not particularly wanting hard brakes, but don't want 1 finger brakes either, that just swings things the other way,  just more sensitivity at low pressure and a decent harder pull after that.....middle way grasshopper... :015:

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2018, 11:59:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by walt [+]

not particularly wanting hard brakes, but don't want 1 finger brakes either, that just swings things the other way,  just more sensitivity at low pressure and a decent harder pull after that.....middle way grasshopper... :015:

I usually cover the brake lever with 2 or 3 fingers.  the idea is that you do not need to fight for life when you brake and with little force you can bring the bike to stop.  with the oem set up, 5 fingers or pressing the lever with 10 fingers can save your life in emergency situation :)

Recent Topics

winded-staunch