Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: bike wouldnt start  (Read 798 times)

Offline grizzlybear

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger 800 ABS
bike wouldnt start
« on: November 17, 2018, 08:39:14 PM »
Hi guys

Just asking advise

Hadn`t rode my Tiger for 3 weeks and seen the forecast  so I thought I would start her just to make sure I was ok for this Sunday, but she wouldn`t start :161: . Battery was fully charged  and bike was turning over but no joy :191:
Tried again a hour later and she `caught ` for a second  :157:
Tried again later and she `caught ` for a few seconds.
Tried again later and she started :156:

It ain`t a problem , just wondered why  :084:

When I bought my GPZ750 in 1983 if I bipped the throttle when starting it wouldn`t, so I had to change the plugs.

Just wondered if I might have `bipped` the throttle and `wetted` the plugs, dunno if that possible with fuel injection :084:

Anyway she started so I off round the  Peak District on Sunday for ,probably my last run of the year( waiting for the sh*t about riding all year :015: ) ending up at Matlock Bath for fish and chips, it the rule  :152:

Safe riding
Dave
Safe Riding
Dave( Grizzlybear) honda 125T,  Z650C2, GPZ750, GTR1000, VX800, VN1500 ,tiger800 and loads of C90`s  :)

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC,XCX, CB1300,
Re: bike wouldnt start
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 02:58:24 AM »
Two possibilities come to mind.....
1) if it sat for 3 weeKS and there was water in the fuel it would have settled to the bottom near the fuel pump.
2 ) sometimes the stepper motor doesn't reset after it was last shut down. Turning it off, waiting about a minute for the reset and then another try it should go.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline Trhendo

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger800
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 07:08:37 AM »
Gbear-  I got some wet gas this summer that cause my Tiger to run rough for several hours.  After reaching home, 4000 miles later, I parked the bike for 3 weeks.  It was very difficult to start, I had to play with the throttle while operating the starter.  When I parked the bike a second time for about 6 weeks, same problem.  I needed a lot of throttle to get it running.   It seems to be ok now.  I've parked it for a week or more with no hesitation on start up.  So my guess is, you had some wet gas.

Offline grizzlybear

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 04:46:18 PM »
Cheers guys,  sounds feasible  :001:

She started straight away today and I had a cracking 120 mile blast to Montgomery Castle
Safe Riding
Dave( Grizzlybear) honda 125T,  Z650C2, GPZ750, GTR1000, VX800, VN1500 ,tiger800 and loads of C90`s  :)

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 06:33:10 PM »
Nowt to do with too good a wash after a big ride....then mebbe not thoroughly dried off after. Been there.  :087:
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline AMGS

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2018 XrX
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 09:57:11 AM »
it hapened to me twice, after a 3 week stop.
The solution was hit the starter and slowly open the throtle until the engine start.
It may take a few seconds but the fuel arrives and we have the engine running.

Offline napoleon

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: tiger 800 xrt
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 06:35:00 PM »
Had the same problem. Rode it around Hungary and Romania. Stated fine.  Got it back home. Filled it up with UK fuel. Parked it in the garage for three weeks. Tried to start it. It wouldn't catch. Eventually it did. Loads of black smoke. Started fine the rest of the day. I haven't tried it for two weeks. I'll test it tomorrow. I wonder if it's something to do with the programming of the ignition system when starting?

Recent Topics

winded-staunch