Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sinnis Motorcycles  (Read 1253 times)

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
Sinnis Motorcycles
« on: November 26, 2018, 03:08:42 PM »
Does anyone have experience with Sinnis Motorcycles  :261:

I'm looking for a cheap fun bike to thrash around locally and have come across a Sinnis Retrostar 250. It's Chinese and I've read quite a lot, some good some not so good points, but from what I can make out these Chinese imports have come a long way in the last few year's  :187:

I believe this bike is loosely based on a Suzuli GN250 and a lot of the parts (engine wise) are interchangeable, if you look at some of the images it's a bit of a street scrambler with 21hp.

For a year old bike that's less than 1500 I thought it might be worth a punt, but not a lot to go on re feedback on reliability / longevity. Can't find much for sale for this kind of wonga that will be cheap to run / fix and will be a bit of a hoot around the lanes.

Any info appreciated  :028:

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Sinnis Motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 03:30:38 PM »
You could try a Serow. Pick up a 20 year old one for similar money to a 12 month old Sinnis but possibly last longer.

Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 03:51:47 PM »
The Serrow is a nice bike, I rode one a few yeas ago, nice and light and a lot of fun.

Unfortunately they seem to be pretty rare to find and trying to find anything for about 1500 is virtually impossible, for the type of thing I'm looking for anyway :157:

Plus I don't intend to scour the whole country, it needs to be fairly local (Kent / Sussex / Surrey) so I can at least go and see it.

Offline Earl

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xc
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 05:22:32 PM »
I just wouldnt buy a Chinese bike Ive bought mylad a honda cbr125r  for 500 quid ok its an old bike but still better than a chinese one

When I was looking a suzuki dr350 was around that kind of money

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 10:34:47 PM »
I'm not convinced that the anti-Chinese sentiment is valid.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2015/07/22/chinese-motorcycle-quality-a-matter-of-choice/

https://www.bikesure.co.uk/bikesureblog/2016/06/best-chinese-125cc-motorcycles.html

We're looking at Chinese bikes at the moment, possibly for Mrs Zero and also for Sub Zero.
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 07:19:21 AM »
From what I'm reading and what tauzero has posted the Chinese bikes seem to have come on in leaps and bounds over the last few years, unfortunately it's difficult to find any actual owners who have first hand experience.

Certainly for the price point these bikes do offer a lot, I think if you look after them and do some maintenance and servicing they'll last, I don't expect a good return as I'm sure they will devalue quite a bit, but with a low starting price that's not going to be any worse than a more expensive bike.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/sinnis-retrostar-250-is-a-budget-chinese-scrambler-with-decent-looks-photo-gallery-91139.html

Online Mav

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRx
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 07:37:20 AM »
For what I have seen from a few YouTubes I watch, they are perfectly good reliable machines now. Give them a little TLC and they will last years. Most big manufacturers bikes a made there now anyway.

spicy110 is one to look at on YouTube.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 08:06:14 AM »
The Chinese are more than capable of building anything to the same quality as any other nation. Problem they have is building bikes down to a price that are affordable by the poor people of the their country to get to work.

When those vastly cheaper machines get imported into the modern world & compared to bikes produced in Japan they don't stack up too well. Unfortunately all Chinese bikes get tarred with the same brush even though some may be of a higher standard.

BMW have some of their engines assembled in China. Any bad reviews on them?
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline ZenDog

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XCX
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 11:23:44 AM »
I would add that a lot of motorbikes are made in China so the have the knowledge. https://www.statista.com/statistics/314752/china-annual-motorcycle-sales/

Each brand will produce at different rates so going for one that is producing a lot will be a safer bet.

I have brought a couple of mobiles from Chinese manufactures who make more phones than Apple.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 06:07:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by ZenDog [+]
I have brought a couple of mobiles from Chinese manufactures who make more phones than Apple.

Apple's phones are made in China.
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Recent Topics

winded-staunch