Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Ferry tie down straps  (Read 1854 times)

Offline walt

• Tiger Pro
Ferry tie down straps
« on: December 06, 2018, 09:04:06 PM »
just came back from Switzerland on bike, went out on the Newcastle to Amsterdam ferry, upon arrival at check in was given 2 free tie downs, apparently this is DFDS ferries new procedure....presumably this absolves them of any blame should a mishap occur to your bike while sailing

if you go 3-4 times a year, (return sailing) you'll soon have a nice collection... :015:

Offline PapaTom

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Blue XRx (Gen2)
Re: Ferry tie down straps
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 10:01:03 PM »
 :152:

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 10:35:20 PM »
 And what happens if the person next to you does not properly secure their bike and yours ends up getting damaged? Who is responsible then?

Offline walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 10:48:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
And what happens if the person next to you does not properly secure their bike and yours ends up getting damaged? Who is responsible then?

yep, had crossed my mind too, ive had that argument once with a chaps bike next to mine, secured with only one thin strap of his own....I assume the ferry company will say its up to the individuals to sort out between themselves, other ferry companies (Dover to Dunkirk) which is oddly owned by DFDS too, have the deck hands strap the bike down using the ships own straps, others provide straps but no assistance...I check mine myself, make sure its secure, and would have to deal with any arguments later, not much else you can do really :027:

I suppose the best option would be to have one deck hand check all bikes after owners have secured them, sort of 50/50 responsibility

i'd imagine over the years all possible scenario's/mishaps have occurred, DFDS must view this as their best option.....who knows
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 10:51:33 PM by walt »

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 02:35:25 AM »
It would be intersting to read the T's and C's on the ticket regarding damage to vehicles on board.

Here is Oz there is only one ferry trip where vehicles have to be secured the ferry from Melbourne in Vivtoria to Devonport in Tasmania which is about 8 hours and it can be incredibly rough (like 4 -6 story high waves) or dead smooth. The ferry company tie everything down themselves when you ride on.

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 05:56:17 AM »
That NCL>AMS ferry is the only one that I can think of that still has the rider tying theirs bikes down.

They all used to do it but has moved to letting the salty seadogs do it in recent years. You used to have to either take your own tie downs or use lengths of rope provided.
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 09:02:45 AM »
Seems to change all the time & whichever line/boat you're on. I been on the; Dover/Calais, Dover/Dunkirk, Dover/Folkstone, Portsmouth/StMalo, Roscoff/Plymouth, Hull/Rotterdam, Hull/Zeebrugge, Heysham/Douglas, Holyhead/Dun-Loaighaire, Livorno/Bastia, Ullapool/Stornaway, Portsmouth/Ryde & several small hang onto your bike Scottish ferries.

Sea France were best with special bike bays, 2 boys one each side strapped us down by pillion hangers in one minute.
Mobyline took bikes & lashed to bulkhead, scary.
DFDS sometimes ratchets sometimes ropes, diy. The deck hands used to do it.
P&O Hull/Rott gave us big ratchet straps before we got on boat, had to stuff the heavy dirty things inside jackets to ride on.
Recently P&O have ropes or ratchets hanging about, depending on deck & boat, all diy.

Sometimes there are wheel chocks knocking about. Otherwise tie sidestand to front wheel spindle.

A bit worrying when you get somebody next to you who doesn't know how to do it.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 09:16:56 AM »
Stena & Irish Ferries - Hollyhead and Rosslare to whereever both tie down themselves.  I usually have some cardboard to go over the seat but usually not needed as the deckhands have foam padding for that.  And by tie down I mean TIE down  rock solid tie down.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline kempy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: MK1 800XC 2010
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 09:21:19 AM »
I'm off next year using P&O Dover-Calais next year, can anyone confirm what the crack is with them please?

Cheers

Paul

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 09:51:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by kempy [+]
I'm off next year using P&O Dover-Calais next year, can anyone confirm what the crack is with them please?

Cheers

Paul

Ratchets or ropes dependent on boat/deck like I said last few times I went that route. Stopped doing that a few years ago with the traffic & 50 limits on M'ways it became a pita. Hull/Zeebrugge is less stressful.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Recent Topics