Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Ferry tie down straps  (Read 1853 times)

Offline kempy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: MK1 800XC 2010
Re: Ferry tie down straps
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 09:54:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
Ratchets or ropes dependent on boat/deck like I said last few times I went that route. Stopped doing that a few years ago with the traffic & 50 limits on M'ways it became a pita. Hull/Zeebrugge is less stressful.

Cheers bud, do they suppl them or do I need to take my own?

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 10:00:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by kempy [+]
Cheers bud, do they suppl them or do I need to take my own?

The ratchets are usually hanging on the handrails, the ropes in the girders above. I've always found enough ropes, I go ott with the tie down.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline kempy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: MK1 800XC 2010
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 10:03:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
The ratchets are usually hanging on the handrails, the ropes in the girders above. I've always found enough ropes, I go ott with the tie down.

Cheers  :028:  saves me carrying unnecessary stuff  :001:

Offline walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 11:42:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
That NCL>AMS ferry is the only one that I can think of that still has the rider tying theirs bikes down.

They all used to do it but has moved to letting the salty seadogs do it in recent years. You used to have to either take your own tie downs or use lengths of rope provided.

I came back on P&O Ferries, Zeebrugge to Hull, they gave me a strap when I got on board, but I had to tie it down myself, their straps are old/manky, with just a clasp rather than a ratchet, so I used my own ratchet strap, ive always had to tie down myself on Zee/Hull. :027:...i always carry 1 tie down with me as you never really know who provides what, and i'm never sure until the day which ferry route i'm coming home on

as has been said, sometimes there are wheel chocks sometimes not, although over the years ive never had a problem with only using one strap despite some really rough sea's, i try and get it through the frame somewhere behind the engine rather than over the seat, then you can pull it down harder...

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 01:28:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by walt [+]

I came back on P&O Ferries, Zeebrugge to Hull, they gave me a strap when I got on board, but I had to tie it down myself, their straps are old/manky, with just a clasp rather than a ratchet, so I used my own ratchet strap, ive always had to tie down myself on Zee/Hull. :027:...i always carry 1 tie down with me as you never really know who provides what, and i'm never sure until the day which ferry route i'm coming home on

as has been said, sometimes there are wheel chocks sometimes not, although over the years ive never had a problem with only using one strap despite some really rough sea's, i try and get it through the frame somewhere behind the engine rather than over the seat, then you can pull it down harder...

Spot on, in gear , on sidestand, one strap looped throught the frame to stop any potential slippage over seat, lean on the bike when compress the suspension when ratcheting down,, jobs a good un..

Offline fastnfat

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2018, 04:38:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by kempy [+]
I'm off next year using P&O Dover-Calais next year, can anyone confirm what the crack is with them please?

Cheers

Paul
Dover/Calais. Use the tunnel, no faffing around with straps etc.😉
Tiger 800 XRT
Ducati Monster 1100 EVO

Online petesear

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRT
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2018, 04:42:33 PM »
+1 for the tunnel.. so convenient.

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2018, 10:11:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by petesear [+]
+1 for the tunnel.. so convenient.

Not for us folk oop norf it aint. Much easier to pop over to Hull & wake up in Belgium.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Cumbria_Paul

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCX
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 04:47:46 PM »
Anyone know what the score is with Brittany Ferries to Spain (Pont Aven Ship) with regards to securing your precious Tiger? Cheers
Mid life crisis? Nah just the usual lifelong one :)

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 04:56:26 PM »
Same as the rest afaik, tie down straps put on by yourself...

Recent Topics