Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Removing pannier racks  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Pockets

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XRX
Removing pannier racks
« on: December 12, 2018, 09:54:22 PM »
Just a quick one, I've decided to remove the pannier racks from my bike but it looks like I need a special tool to remove the fixings. It appears to be a sort of triangular socket, I cannot find anything in my tool box that I can use to remove the bolts.
Any suggestions 

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger XRt
Re: Removing pannier racks
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 10:11:54 PM »
Adventure or Expedition frames? Pics would help. :084:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Plodder

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Black XR
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 11:36:10 PM »
Hi - Try searching ebay for "laser 3688" - it should bring up an oil sump drain plug key with a triangular bit. If its the pannier rack I think it is (Givi or Kappa) this should fit nicely. It needs to be the 10mm one. I bought one a few months ago, but the listing is no longer available. It had the title "Renault Drain Plug Sump Key Triangular 3/8 Drive Triangle - 10mm Megane , Item # 112631320151" and cost 4.30. You can also buy the proper tool from Givi/Kappa.

....and here's the official tool: https://www.bargainbikerbrands.com/givi-z2711r-quick-release-pannier-rail-removal-tool.html This link may not be the cheapest - just the first one that popped up in a search, so shop around.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 11:43:09 PM by Plodder »

Offline Tigermainia

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRt
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 09:35:15 AM »
+1  :0461: Had the Givi QD 6401 frame kit for my XRx and this is the tool. :152: :031:
From '61 to present - BSA C12, Royal Enfield Crusader Sports, Tiger 110, T120R Bonnie, BMW R50, Suzuki GT185, T120 Bonnie, KE 175, BMW R75, GSX750, FJ1200, XJR1300, FZ1000, Sprint1050 & Street Triple, Sprint1050, Speedtriple, Sprint1050, Sprint GT, Trophy 1215, Speedtriple & Bonneville, XRx, XRt

Offline Pockets

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 08:04:38 PM »
OK Lads Thanks for the replies. I've now removed the panniers I borrowed a sump plug tool from my local garage (He's a mate of mine) and they came away no problem. The reason I've taken them off is because I'm fitting a Givi plate so I can have a top box, but it's not quite as straightforward as I was led to believe. Managed to fit the brackets under the plastic tray, drill holes through the plastic tray but I'm having a hell of a job making everything line up. If I remove the plastic tray and the four small tubes the holes line up perfectly, if I put the plastic tray on top of the plate they also line up, but as soon as I try to line all the tubes and holes everything goes out of line. I may need to make the holes in the tray bigger to allow for a bit of play.
Anyway plenty of time, its going to snow this weekend.
Thanks again.     

Offline Pockets

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 04:26:05 PM »
So now I've removed the pannier rails and fitted the Kappa Monakey base plate, what I need now is advise on how big a top box should I go for?. I only need room for one helmet and the usual day by day essentials, the 40L Givi looks about right, I just don't want to get one that looks to big, then again too small would not be a good idea.
Again your advise will be very much appreciated.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 11:23:49 AM »
There's the obvious, of course - if you're going to be carrying something rigid, eg. a laptop, make sure of the dimensions.

I've got a 58l on mine - it looks like this:
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900

Offline philgm

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRX
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 03:22:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Pockets [+]
So now I've removed the pannier rails and fitted the Kappa Monakey base plate, what I need now is advise on how big a top box should I go for?. I only need room for one helmet and the usual day by day essentials, the 40L Givi looks about right, I just don't want to get one that looks to big, then again too small would not be a good idea.
Again your advise will be very much appreciated.

I've got a Givi 52ltr Trekker with the Triumph expedition panniers. The left pannier lid only just clears the top box when opened upwards normally.  Base plate heights vary by type so a foul condition could occur. The pannier lids detach from the front of course so it's not a big deal. A mate has this problem with his bike and is now looking to move the left pannier out a bit, not sure of the set up he has though.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 03:42:20 PM by philgm »

Offline Pockets

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 04:06:29 PM »
I haven't bought a top box yet, thought their may be a sale on somewhere so I'm holding back. I've also been looking at monokey side panniers, there are some small ones on ebay, they are Givi about 20lts each side not the biggest but I only want overnight hotel luggage. They come out at about 115 for the pair, So together with a top box (40lts) they should be ample. There is a bike warehouse just outside Boston (Lincolnshire) that has a good range of luggage options, may have a ride out to them to see what they have got.
Anyway thanks for replying, I'm pretty sure I'll be buying something before the end of January sale or no sale.

Recent Topics