Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: XRt cuts out  (Read 4418 times)

Offline midnight

• Tiger Cub
Re: XRt cuts out
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 04:33:29 PM »
No. Nothing changed. Only a regular service and a new mapping, which was scheduled acording to my mecanik. He said, he would report back to Triumph, that it probably solvede the issue. I have had no "hickups" since.

Offline ColinXCX

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2017 Tiger XCX
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 07:16:06 PM »
With regards to the remap, is that normal procedure after certain mileage of is it just for the 2018 models? Thanks

Offline grizzlybear

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 01:37:20 PM »
It normal for all car and bike manufacturers to update the ECU.
Safe Riding
Dave( Grizzlybear) honda 125T,  Z650C2, GPZ750, GTR1000, VX800, VN1500 ,tiger800 and loads of C90`s  :)

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger XRt
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 02:47:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by ColinXCX [+]
With regards to the remap, is that normal procedure after certain mileage of is it just for the 2018 models? Thanks

*Originally Posted by grizzlybear [+]
It normal for all car and bike manufacturers to update the ECU.

Updates are effectively correcting errors and/or adding improvements to the ECU programming. If there are no current reported issues, like cutting out, or a flat spot in fuelling, etc. that have been rectified then there would be no update. I know my XRt ECU was updated as part of 6k service and rectified the occasional stalling on downchange to 2nd gear.

This Tigertool pic showed 'Tune' date recorded as loaded (not when released) on 6k service date (17/10/16) and as this was taken 18/05/18, diagnosing a fault, also indicates no update was applied at the 12k service 29/08/17:

I have just been out and quickly run Tigertool and the details are the same as above, so based on the fact that the dealer is supposed to plug in and check (and update if applicable) chassis ECM and engine ECM on every service then, provided they did do it, then there has been no ECU update (unless post 11/09/18 18k service) since pre-Oct 16 (unless someone with a 2nd gen Tiger has a, presumably, higher numbered 'Tune No.' than above.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline midnight

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 03:29:32 PM »
 Just too be sure, we are talking about the same bike, mine is the new 2018 xrt. Maybe the mapping is different??

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2019, 04:17:37 PM »
The mapping for the 'gen 3 2018 on' Tiger is probably different to mine (2015-2017 gen 2) but the same criteria as I described would apply regarding updates. When you put your bike in for 'official' servicing Triumph will update your bike if there is an update applicable. It is quite likely at the 12month/6k service of most 'new' models that there will be an initial update to correct any minor issues, but given that the 'gen 3' mechanically is only a tweaked 'gen 2' I wouldn't expect too many issues to update.

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline xc dave

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800XC + 3 OTHERS
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2019, 06:14:30 PM »
I spoke to Triumphs Peter Clarke at the NEC and he knew very little about the problem, so I have to ask are dealers contacting Triumph to report the fault.

If anyone is not happy and their bike is still suffering from this stalling problem then contact Peter Clarke on: 0116 215 1150.
This is not a direct line to Peter so you will have to ask to speak to him.

Offline roy.c

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800XC
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 04:59:12 PM »
Not sure if I had the same problem but my 2013 XC suddenly started cutting out when on the over-run, eg approaching a junction and throttling back. Sometimes even cutting out between gear changes.
I spoke to my dealer who suggested it was caused by having turned off the engine while still having the throttle open.
The cure was to force the ecu to re-set - this involved simply starting the engine from cold but with absolutely no throttle and leaving it to warm up and tick over for more than 12 minutes. This resolved the problem which never re-occurred.
Worth a try?
Yamaha RD200, Sachs 125, Ossa 350, Bonneville 650, Honda CB750, BMW R100RS, Honda Fireblade, Harley Hardtail, Kawa Ninja900, Tiger 800xc (won't mention the scooter)

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2019, 05:18:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by roy.c [+]
... this involved simply starting the engine from cold but with absolutely no throttle and leaving it to warm up and tick over for more than 12 minutes. This resolved the problem which never re-occurred. Worth a try?

Known as the '12 minute reset' . it resets any 'adaptive' parameters back to base factory setting. Did it on my Street Triple after fitting a SC Projects Conic exhaust. Takes longer than 12 minutes to do though (as I was instructed) as the 12 minutes is taken from when engine fully hot and the radiator fan first cuts in and important not to touch the throttle, even when starting it up. Not sure how it would help with cutting out issue but can't harm anything trying it, the relevant 'adaptive' systems will adapt again with riding. :028:

Offline roy.c

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800XC
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2019, 05:24:28 PM »
Yes, I should have clarified that the engine needs to be fully hot before timing the tickover period. I was advised to cover the rad with foil to help it warm up faster (it was rather cold weather at the time) :0461:
Yamaha RD200, Sachs 125, Ossa 350, Bonneville 650, Honda CB750, BMW R100RS, Honda Fireblade, Harley Hardtail, Kawa Ninja900, Tiger 800xc (won't mention the scooter)

Recent Topics