Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: XRt cuts out  (Read 10404 times)

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
Re: XRt cuts out
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2019, 05:22:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by walt [+]
in my experience a leak on the intake side...generally makes the bike run lean/weak....more pronounced usually at idle when its most susceptible to cutting out as you have no throttle on...
My experience is just the opposite -- altho, not Tiger800 related.
An air leak at the throttle bodies / inlet manifold will tell the oxygen sensor (lambda) to send a signal to the ECM to enrich the mixture. The result is way too rich running at idle -- even with an air leak (false air).
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Offline walt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2019, 08:55:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
My experience is just the opposite -- altho, not Tiger800 related.
An air leak at the throttle bodies / inlet manifold will tell the oxygen sensor (lambda) to send a signal to the ECM to enrich the mixture. The result is way too rich running at idle -- even with an air leak (false air).

fair point...I was thinking back over 45 years of experience, speaking of weak mixture on inlet side in general.... long before Lambda sensors... :015: obviously on modern bikes this changes things, I wondered if this constant oscillation/correction by the ECU caused the fluffy response/hesitation just off idle, but as I said, sealing the intakes has settled it all down, feels more responsive now....perhaps anyone with lots of knowledge on it could enlighten....

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2019, 02:15:12 PM »
Unfortunately I have little to know knowledge if modern FI engines but on previous carb fueled bikes, any air leak at the inlet manifold always resulted in high revving at idle, rather than cutting out.

I would be interested to know how other owners have managed to arrange with Triumph to have their throttle bodies re seated, or are they DIY.???
Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline walt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2019, 06:16:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bladerunner99 [+]
Unfortunately I have little to know knowledge if modern FI engines but on previous carb fueled bikes, any air leak at the inlet manifold always resulted in high revving at idle, rather than cutting out.

I would be interested to know how other owners have managed to arrange with Triumph to have their throttle bodies re seated, or are they DIY.???

ive seen that effect too at idle, at different speeds different effects

I presume others have complained, as I did, direct to Triumph, theres a Tel no and name in this thread for UK, or through their dealers, i don't know for your country, there will probably be a head of customer services name on their website

Offline xc dave

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800XC + 2 OTHERS
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2019, 08:41:08 PM »
Last week my Gen3 Tiger went in to have the intakes resealed just as Walts bike has had done after suffering with engine cut outs.

The work was authorised by Triumph.

Up to now it hasnt cut out, so fingers crossed.

Occasionally its still fluffy when you blip the throttle on downward gear changes.

So if anyone is experiencing this type of problem get back to your dealer.

Offline walt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2019, 08:44:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by xc dave [+]
Last week my Gen3 Tiger went in to have the intakes resealed just as Walts bike has had done after suffering with engine cut outs.

The work was authorised by Triumph.

Up to now it hasnt cut out, so fingers crossed.

Occasionally its still fluffy when you blip the throttle on downward gear changes.

So if anyone is experiencing this type of problem get back to your dealer.

:028: :028: :028:  maybe we'll get a software update for the fluffy throttle sometime...

Offline walt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2019, 01:07:12 PM »
update

over 1000 miles now and no cut outs or hesitations pulling away, seems as though its solved, still a horrible fluffy throttle response at idle though, sometimes no response when blipping to change down, having tried a 2019 model too, there didn't seem to be a huge difference, maybe that's how the new digital throttle feels/acts.....annoying....lovely engine spoilt by small issue  :027:

Offline LionelM

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: XRT
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2019, 04:45:44 PM »
I eventually got round to taking my 2018 Tiger to the dealer for occasional stalls. To recap: First 1500 miles no problems but from then on I had several instances of the bike stalling when pulling away from stationary in first gear. This seemed to be because the engine revs dipped when I first opened the throttle and released the clutch. A bit like a flat spot or a dead spot.  I also noticed that the tick-over was a bit erratic when the bike was stationary, especially when the throttle had just been closed the rev counter oscillated around 1250 rpm for a second or two before settling down to a constant speed. On blipping the throttle ever so slightly when stationary there was also a definite lag before the engine speed picked up. Sounded like the engine was going to die on me. Certainly not a continuous and smooth engine pick up as the throttle was opened. The problem didn't seem to be present when the bike was cold. Otherwise the bike was running fine: no hint of misfiring at all other engine speeds, or when accelerating hard.

Anyway - took it to the dealer and as expected "couldn't find anything wrong" was the response. They re-installed the fuel map and did some other throttle/idling test and/or adjustment. I did however find an improvement in slow speed pull-aways in first gear......  very gentle, minimal revs.... there hasn't been the loss of revs or "dead spot" I experienced before leading to an occasional stall. So maybe the reinstallation of fuel mapping software has helped (they didn't say it was a new version). The bike still seems to run a bit erratically when the throttle is first shut off but maybe that's just "how it is".

The mistake I made was not insisting the dealer sales guy and workshop technician took it for a decent ride beforehand. They only rode it after the investigation. I know I wasn't imagining the problem and I haven't had any stalls now in ~1000 miles.

Triumph should definitely look at smoothing out the throttle/fuelling around tickover.

Offline walt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2019, 04:55:53 PM »
yep, I still don't trust mine around tickover, never quite sure if its going to die pulling away..throttle response is poor/weak..and to add to that, if you have an insensitive technician take it for a test ride, they may think there's nothing wrong.... :027:

Offline Tigermainia

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRt
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2019, 08:56:08 AM »
Happened again yesterday whilst changing down to make a left turn!!!!! With the wife on the back!!!!!!! The engine just cut dead as I pulled the clutch in the process of changing down, it started again immediately when I pressed the starter..........a near miss for a stall turn :084:

I have arranged to get the dealer to check it out next week especially as we'll be heading off fully loaded shortly.

Will update findings..............if any?
From '61 to present - BSA C12, Royal Enfield Crusader Sports, Tiger 110, T120R Bonnie, BMW R50, Suzuki GT185, T120 Bonnie, KE 175, BMW R75, GSX750, FJ1200, XJR1300, FZ1000, Sprint1050 & Street Triple, Sprint1050, Speedtriple, Sprint1050, Sprint GT, Trophy 1215, Speedtriple & Bonneville, XRx, XRt

Recent Topics