Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: XRt cuts out  (Read 8953 times)

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: XRt cuts out
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 09:16:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by walt [+]
update on this

dealer picked my bike up yesterday, rang me later in the day to say they found faulty Inlet air temperature sensor, they fitted new one and delivered bike back to me today, will try it out over next couple of days and report back....
Thanks for the update.

Would have thought if the IAT sensor was faulty an error code would have come up on the engine fault light indicator. But maybe it was just reporting incorrect temperatures. If so, that  wouldn't necessarily show as an error code.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 10:02:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
Thanks for the update.

Would have thought if the IAT sensor was faulty an error code would have come up on the engine fault light indicator. But maybe it was just reporting incorrect temperatures. If so, that  wouldn't necessarily show as an error code.

exactly, dealer gave me a print out of before and after new sensor fitted, no fault codes, but different/incorrect temps showing....
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:46:54 PM by walt »

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 12:59:38 AM »
Please excuse my ignorance.  Could someone please explain how the IAT sensor would cause the bike to cut out intermittently, would it not cut our or at least fail to start on a regular basis if it was faulty?

:465:
Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 09:15:03 AM »
Does sound a bit "ifffy" to me, my Xrx is show what looks like correct temps on the dash so not sure how it would effect fuelling unless it was miles off and causing poor fuelling  :003: :003:

Offline walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 04:59:34 PM »
well, i'm not 100% convinced yet....until ive had a decent ride on it....the other symptom was rough throttle response just off tickover, depending which way the faulty IAT sensor readings differed, it could have been running weak.....that's how it felt at the throttle, it usually cut out on a closed throttle at slowish speed, coming up to a roundabout while dropping down from 3rd to 2nd....of course it could have been cutting out between 6-5 and 5-4, but the bike was carrying enough speed for it to bump start without me noticing...I suppose if it was running weak, it would be most vulnerable to cutting out on small throttle openings, probably run ok rest of time (which it did)

and of course, i'm not saying its fixed, havn't had a decent ride on it yet, so it may have the same problem, but changing the IAT sensor has made the low throttle response less erratic (in the garage at least)

and also, does that mean that the people who have the same identical symptoms as my bike all have a faulty IAT sensor....I doubt it.. :015:

*Originally Posted by mcinlb [+]
Does sound a bit "ifffy" to me, my Xrx is show what looks like correct temps on the dash so not sure how it would effect fuelling unless it was miles off and causing poor fuelling  :003: :003:

engine temp gauge reads coolant temp, not the same as Inlet air temp, ECU probably uses IAT signal as one of a number of signals  to calculate fuelling...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 05:02:52 PM by walt »

Offline midnight

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 05:29:01 PM »
Hello from Denmark. Had my 2018 xrt cutting out about 15-20 times during the first 10.000 km. After service 10k there has been 0. Therefore I think the 10.000 map has dealt with the problem. Has pt. 16.500 km on the clock, and no cut outs since last service!!!

Offline walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 07:44:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by midnight [+]
Hello from Denmark. Had my 2018 xrt cutting out about 15-20 times during the first 10.000 km. After service 10k there has been 0. Therefore I think the 10.000 map has dealt with the problem. Has pt. 16.500 km on the clock, and no cut outs since last service!!!

thanks for info....hope mine is ok now... :028:

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2018, 10:42:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by walt [+]
, does that mean that the people who have the same identical symptoms as my bike all have a faulty IAT sensor....I doubt it.

If it is the IAT sensor then yes it is highly likely others have the same problem with the same sensor because it is likely to be a batch issue with a bunch of sensors made by whoever supplies them to Triumph.

Offline walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2018, 02:01:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
If it is the IAT sensor then yes it is highly likely others have the same problem with the same sensor because it is likely to be a batch issue with a bunch of sensors made by whoever supplies them to Triumph.

be interesting to see if that's the case......i'll try a hundred miles or so on mine and see if its cured....

Offline pme

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: xrx lrh 2018
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 03:56:11 PM »
Midnight, did they carry out a remap or was a part  changed, otherwise why has it stopped being an issue?????

thanks
pme

Recent Topics