Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: XRt cuts out  (Read 8952 times)

Offline ws888

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: black 800 XCx
Re: XRt cuts out
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2019, 03:32:17 AM »
I have had this happen a few times on 2015 XCX. Thought it may have been me but now see it is a common issue.  It's only happened about half a dozen times since new and always when changing down and coming to a stop (ie. throttle mostly closed).  Last time it happened the bike had 15000+ k's so it's not just new bikes.   
'11 black  XC ABS > '15 black XCx

"I've always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific"

Offline Tigermainia

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRt
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2019, 04:51:04 PM »
Had this problem for the third time last week (took it to the dealers end of '18 happened twice) took it back to the dealers yesterday and they contacted Triumph who authorised the dealer to change the fuel induction seal/gasket, picked it up today and on the short ride home was okay, testing it over the next few days with a few hundred miles and will update.
From '61 to present - BSA C12, Royal Enfield Crusader Sports, Tiger 110, T120R Bonnie, BMW R50, Suzuki GT185, T120 Bonnie, KE 175, BMW R75, GSX750, FJ1200, XJR1300, FZ1000, Sprint1050 & Street Triple, Sprint1050, Speedtriple, Sprint1050, Sprint GT, Trophy 1215, Speedtriple & Bonneville, XRx, XRt

Offline SOHUTAA

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Xcx
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2019, 05:11:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tigermainia [+]
Had this problem for the third time last week (took it to the dealers end of '18 happened twice) took it back to the dealers yesterday and they contacted Triumph who authorised the dealer to change the fuel induction seal/gasket, picked it up today and on the short ride home was okay, testing it over the next few days with a few hundred miles and will update.

Which seal are you talking about?
Where is it situated ?
An illustration with image would be welcome.

Offline walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2019, 05:56:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by SOHUTAA [+]
Which seal are you talking about?
Where is it situated ?
An illustration with image would be welcome.

apparently there is no seal between throttle bodies and cylinder head, its face to face,  this looks to be causing problems, mine was just sealed up with sealant (by Triumph), looks like its only a problem with MK3 models, maybe they changed something from the previous model

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2019, 11:09:28 PM »
The throttle bodies are attached and sealed to the cylinder head using circular clamps and plastic adaptors as in this pic. A tight clamp ensures a good seal.
I don't understand why Triumph would use sealant here. Any insight into sohutaa's response from the Triumph  dealer?
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2019, 04:33:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
I don't understand why Triumph would use sealant here.
They must be advising sealant between the plastic adapters and the cyl. head?
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Offline walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2019, 01:08:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
They must be advising sealant between the plastic adapters and the cyl. head?

that is what I assumed they meant....

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2019, 02:08:32 PM »
 Yes, but my point is, a tight clamp is all the seal that is needed. I've never heard of using a sealant on clamped throttle bodies. They are as tight as a...(censored).
I wonder whether the dealer is prescribing a placebo.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2019, 02:43:30 PM »
...  I've never heard of using a sealant on clamped throttle bodies. They are as tight as a...(censored).

AIUI ... Not the throttle body to adapter clamped joint, the other end, the adapter to cylinder head faces, the adapters being screwed on with the screws shown.  :084:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2019, 06:14:42 PM »
Yes, but my point is, a tight clamp is all the seal that is needed. I've never heard of using a sealant on clamped throttle bodies. They are as tight as a...(censored).
I wonder whether the dealer is prescribing a placebo.

ive never had a clamp need sealing either, but its the seal at the other end, facing cylinder head that was sealed as I see it

a placebo means only your mind changed....mine definitely stopped cutting out, and hasn't done it again.....but I agree, if it didn't happen on the 17 models, what has changed

Recent Topics

winded-staunch