Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Probable rear wheel bearing failure  (Read 1132 times)

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Probable rear wheel bearing failure
« on: December 15, 2018, 12:52:51 AM »
This evening, riding home, I noticed a slight wobble. It got steadily worse. I wondered if it might be a puncture but my TPMS showed a steady 36/42, so I thought perhaps it was rear wheel bearings. After three or four miles it felt as if the rear tyre was deflated, so I abandoned my planned detour for fuel and a parcel pickup and headed straight home. A check on tyre pressure showed it was fine front and rear, trying to spin the rear wheel to look for runout or defects on the tyre it was like pushing it in treacle, and there were faint signs of iron (well, steel) filings on the RHS of the wheel around the spindle. Bearings and seals ordered on the assumption that that is the problem, using specs posted on this very forum. More news next weekend, I should think, when the bits arrive.

It does make me wonder if the bearings on mine were made out of cheese, as the headstock bearings were notched quite badly by 18k miles (replaced by taper bearings), and it's only another 2k miles on from that now.
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900

Offline Johnjo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 xrt
Re: Probable rear wheel bearing failure
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 08:39:41 AM »
Bad luck tauzero. That's surely premature wear of the bearings. You haven't hastened the wear with a pressure washer ?

Have you spoke to triumph yet ? Wouldn't surprise me if they say bearing wear at that mileage is within tolerance though.

Let us know how you get on.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 11:30:12 AM »
I have used a pressure washer on it, but kept clear of wheel bearings and chain. I don't know what happened to it in the 9000 miles before I got it though. Just hoping for decent weather at the weekend as the bearings and seals should be here by then.
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 01:02:10 PM »
I had one go on a Versys 650 and the symptoms were exactly the same, worth a complaint to your dealer, but generally seen as a wearing part and almost always down to some sort of seal failure, mine was probably caused by the dealer being over enthusiastic with the jet wash, others I've heard of due to ingress of grit, failure of the RH side seal, which is more exposed seems most prevalent.

In strict engineering terms they aren't "seals", they're "shields", but arguing the toss is unlikely to get you anywhere.

Easy enough job to do, deep groove ball bearings, worth checking the cost of OEM ones before ordering the same size from a bearing supplier, make sure if you do that you get the right class of fit, the shaft should be ok, but if the hub is scored then use a smear of Loctite Bearing Fit to hold it firmly in place.

The two outer bearings (item 3) will need to be replaced and it may be as well to replace the one under the cush drive (item 8) and any oil seals, circlips should be Ok, but check they are before re-using them.

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator?block_01=&block_02=100057548-1-2&block_03=560031
Now available in "Batman"

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 01:34:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
Just hoping for decent weather at the weekend as the bearings and seals should be here by then.

Once you strip out the wheel don't be surprised to find badly fitting, worn and scored alloy spacers. The poor fit of these certainly doesn't aid keeping the dirt and water away from the bearings. They are so weak the seal face wears grooves in them and they barely create any pressure against the seal lip.

I totally packed out the space between bearing and spacer with grease to help keep out as much crap as possible. If I had the time I'd like to have some hobbyist type machinist make me steel spacers with possibly 0.5-1.0mm more outer diameter to ensure better seal contact.

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,21433.0.html
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 08:00:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
Once you strip out the wheel don't be surprised to find badly fitting, worn and scored alloy spacers. The poor fit of these certainly doesn't aid keeping the dirt and water away from the bearings. They are so weak the seal face wears grooves in them and they barely create any pressure against the seal lip.

I totally packed out the space between bearing and spacer with grease to help keep out as much crap as possible. If I had the time I'd like to have some hobbyist type machinist make me steel spacers with possibly 0.5-1.0mm more outer diameter to ensure better seal contact.

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,21433.0.html

I was going to ask about packing the space with grease - that's my question answered. I've ordered all three bearings and both seals, thought I might as well do the job completely.

As I bought it privately and the original dealer is a couple of hundred miles away, I don't think there's much point in me raising it with them.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 08:12:33 AM »
 :480:
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
I totally packed out the space between bearing and spacer with grease to help keep out as much crap as possible.

Both front and rear. Obviously ensure that once the wheel is refitted to wipe clean any external grease that has squeezed outside of the spacer and check a few times after riding until any excess stops coming out so nothing gets near your brakes. :028:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 08:19:31 AM by Stevie.P »
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 01:13:51 PM »
Lack of grease in bearings is a common complaint amongst those who've stripped them down, they say it's to reduce drag in the bearing, but that's bollux, I reckon it's to speed up bearing mass manufacture.

some take the inside seals out of the bearings at each side and fully pack the gap between, works well on a lot of bikes and what we would do at work, but you have to be careful with modern mag alloy wheels as they have holes through from the inner hub providing leak paths, back in the day they would have been assembled like this and had a grease nipple so you can pump grease in and fully fill the void, "greased for life" bearings work fine until you get any sort of seal damage, then it all washes out and there's no clues that it's happened.
Now available in "Batman"

Offline JMc

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger800
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 01:26:12 PM »
I change the rear wheel bearings every 2-3 to the front on my KTM enduro but its still done at least twice a year and that's only a couple of thousand miles at most, much less this time of year....but i do like it dirty!!  :418:

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 05:29:28 PM »
Captain Cataclysm strikes again. Got bearing puller, but the inner race pulled out leaving the outer race in place. I will be consulting my local bike shop to see if he can extract it.

Incidentally, the R/H bearing appeared to be unsealed and unshielded, only the outer seal would have offered any protection. The parts list shows a sealed bearing on both sides (and the L/H one is).

Recent Topics