Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dash Cam or Head Cam  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Dustybin

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XRT 2016
Dash Cam or Head Cam
« on: December 16, 2018, 09:06:33 AM »
Hi after being knocked of my moped by a driver turning in front of me, and very kindly driving off without exchanging details etc, mind you I accused him of being drunk and the police not having the resources to go round his house to check, I now have a written off 5 week moped. Anyway only good thing to come out of this is that I wasn't riding my Tiger XRT! Does anyone use a camera fixed or on there helmet etc and if so do they have any recommendations? If they have one on there bike are they easy to hard wire in?
Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to you all!

Offline petesear

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRT
Re: Dash Cam or Head Cam
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 10:50:25 AM »
Hi... I have a Drift Stealth 2. A nice size camera which does what it should at a reasonable price.
As good as a Gopro is I don't like the shape, hence the Stealth.
I use it mounted to a mirror or engine bar and control it with its remote control.
The only negative with this model it the mic, it is positioned at the front of the cam and pics up lots of wind noise. I have attempted various ways of reducing this but now just record without sound.

Offline freeware

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 11:48:07 AM »
I went for helmet (bullet) cam a few years ago. Camcorder is always with me (on the helmet) when off the bike. It's a Controur Roam - aged now. You always record where your head points to. For safety footage seems fine. For 'adventure' shots becomes boring as it's always the same POV.

I added pic how it looks like on the lid.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 12:02:25 PM by freeware »

Offline nigelw6

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: tiger 800 xrt
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 06:06:15 PM »
I have a Tomtom bandit camera currently mounted to my helmet with a 360 degree mount. I have also fitted it with a 360 on top of the offside fog light.
As Freeware said mounting on the helmet means that the camera sees what you are looking at rather than just straight ahead. The video quality is good enough in HD although it is capable of 2.7k and 4k but this resolution ruins the battery. In HD you get about 3 hours recording time. The bandit also has a front mount mic and wind noise is also a problem although there are mic kits you can get to convert it to a helmet mic.   

I did see a comment possibly on this forum that new legislation may ban cameras fitted to helmets on safety grounds. this has already been adopted by some countries.

Offline Andrew Sharp

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 08:35:19 PM »
Hi have you considered one of the permanently mounted systems, A small camera mounted on front and recorder tucked away under seat. My mate has one on his BMW and it seams to work well.

Offline NORTY

• Tiger Master
  • RiderCoach
  • Bike: 2012 800XC
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 03:26:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by Andrew Sharp [+]
Hi have you considered one of the permanently mounted systems, A small camera mounted on front and recorder tucked away under seat. My mate has one on his BMW and it seams to work well.
What brand are they using?
MSF RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!) :)

Offline Andrew Sharp

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 04:57:53 PM »
Got mate to send me a link to company. https://innovv.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8pGpzcqm3wIVVuh3Ch2fsgDxEAAYASAAEgJQPvD_BwE. These are pricey but a UK company should anything go wrong. I've seen similar on Amazon for around 50

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 05:25:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Andrew Sharp [+]
Got mate to send me a link to company. https://innovv.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8pGpzcqm3wIVVuh3Ch2fsgDxEAAYASAAEgJQPvD_BwE. These are pricey but a UK company should anything go wrong. I've seen similar on Amazon for around 50

The place in the link is just the UK importer, any support etc will be routed to the company's Chinese HQ
I had the C3, which produced great results, in comparison, the C5 I replaced it with suffered with poor quality images.
It was quite a bit of toing and froing to get a refund but I got it OK
I would have rather tried a new lens first but they wouldn't accept there was an issue.
I know the C5 is a good unit as I've tried one since but I couldn't get them to work through the issue with me.

They were prompt and polite and did refund me in the end but I got the feeling I was getting formulaic replies to my emails as some of them didn't really relate to the email they were sent in response to.
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline NORTY

• Tiger Master
  • RiderCoach
  • Bike: 2012 800XC
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 06:59:36 PM »
Ok, so the difference in bike mount and helmet mount-
Bike mount is lower. This gives the sensation of speed.
Bike mount may also transfer vibration to the camera. Cameras dont like vibration.
Bike mount may also be more vulnerable to road debris.

Helmet mount moves around a lot. Everytime you move your eyes, the camera moves.
The helmet mount is also insulated from mechanical vibrations. Thus making the video smoother.
MSF RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!) :)

Offline JonesTheBass

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRx
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 02:20:17 PM »
I have a Drift HD, a 32gb card will record >5 hours at 720p, 3 hours at 1080p. The batteries however only record from ~45-90 mins so I have 4 and replace each time I take a break. I have a mount on the bike and mirror mount, I use these when group riding as I can also point towards me and be in the video, but when solo its always the helmet mount.
The Drifts can use an external mic (Amazon etc) which I clip inside the helmet....less noise and picks up my commentary.

YouTube channel is mjcbf1000, and here is a Tiger incident I had.

Recent Topics