Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Triumph Tigfer XC - need your advice and much appreciated experiences....  (Read 1589 times)

Offline buddy13

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger
My second post on this forum  :047:.

For those bothered to read my first - https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php?topic=25433.msg280770#msg280770

I have finally, after months of trying, offloaded my sportsbike and managed to scrape enoguh money together to buy my first real 'Adventure' Bike.

I have read many reviews, test driven many bikes, changed million opinions, but in the end I know well what I want. In the process, I scrapped many potential candidates such as the F800GS, XT600, Versys, V-strom etc. for one or more reasons. For probably the first time in my life I took my time and did not jump into a purchase head first  :492:. I will not be spoken into any of them. This being a Tiger forum might make matters easier  :001:

A solid, quality, middle sized ADV bike that wont break the bank, with a max power of 100hp, weight of 220kg and capable of offorad riding (21 inch wheel) is what I am after, enter the Tiger 800 XC (or XCx)

Next year there will be other potential candidates in the shape of the new Tenere 700 or KTM 790 Adventure. However, I am not willing to wait till November of 2019 (confirmed with my Yamaha AD), for a bike which might ultimately prove too compromised for my needs. The KTM 790 Adventure (at around 4K Euros more than the T7) is too expensive for me.

So I am now set on used, but genuine, MINT condition Tiger XC or XCx form 2012-16.

Obviously the cheapest route would be a 2012, which I would worry the least should I drop it or dang the tank, break a lever etc.

On the other hand, I would like to have a good bike which would give me much prdie of ownership & that I would not outgrow too soon and that lead me to the Gen2 XC from 2015 on.

I value good body protection, switchable ABS and decent suspension for riding 2up with some luggage, anyday over riding modes or cruise control.

What is your experiences with these bikes? Moreover, knowing what you know today, if you were in my shoes, which would you go for?

Is the Gen 2 worth the extra over the Gen 1? Is the XC worth the premium over the XCx?

Finally, I have in the past, bought three bikes from the UK and have them shipped over to Malta (cheaper and better avilability than buying local). I normally buy from a Dealer (for peace of mind) and search religiously on Biketrader. Can you reccomend other sources where I can open my search?

Many thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 10:46:03 AM by buddy13 »

Offline ZenDog

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XCX
Re: Triumph Tigfer XC - need your advice and much appreciated experiences....
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 11:13:43 AM »
Hi, the Tiger 800 XCX sounds like it meets your requirements and as you are on this forum I think most would agree.

The new bikes you mention (790/T7) will cost a lot more than a good second hand bike. I personally went for a second gen as I thought some issues with the first gen would be resolved and the fuel economy is supposedly better. I appreciate a good engine and the Tigers is much better than the F800GS I tested - though it might be a little under powered 2-up with luggage, but then again all middle weights would be. Another bike I would consider is the Africa Twin.

Offline kbar800

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2012 800 Road
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 12:27:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by ZenDog [+]

- though it might be a little under powered 2-up with luggage,

2 up  ( 2x 12stone )   full hard luggage is what our bike is predominently used for  - on our many trips to the  Scottish Highland and Islands over the last 6 years of ownership.

This mith of middleweights being underpowered  needs to then be countered with the 1200 having far to much power - hence rider modes instead of Human skills.

No modes , no ABS   & the XR Version ( 2012 )   - is a difficult bike  to find anything on the market at that value to compare  - hence its a keeper for many more years  :123:
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Offline ZenDog

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XCX
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 02:33:07 PM »
Point taken, especially as I don't personally have experience of a fully loaded bike. I mentioned it because this is what people have told me is the reason they changed from a Tiger 800.

Offline buddy13

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 02:41:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by ZenDog [+]
Point taken, especially as I don't personally have experience of a fully loaded bike. I mentioned it because this is what people have told me is the reason they changed from a Tiger 800.

kbar 800 is right. Any 2-3 cylinder mid sized bike, with over 70hp can chug along at a very nice rate with passengers and luggage.

People invent all sort of excuses for upgrading  to a bigger bike I believe!

We ride 2 up regularly on my girlfrend's MT-07 and it really thrills :).

Offline Nick_2112

• Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 07:08:09 PM »
I've got a gen 1 XC and you see some cracking low mileage ones for sale for 4.5 - 5 k.

For that price you won't lose much should you wish to change. I get between 53 & 56 mpg which is ok for me.

Offline buddy13

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 08:27:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Nick_2112 [+]
I've got a gen 1 XC and you see some cracking low mileage ones for sale for 4.5 - 5 k.

For that price you won't lose much should you wish to change. I get between 53 & 56 mpg which is ok for me.

I'd like a Gen 2...but where do you find them for that price? Can you give me some sources/sites for buying from EU? Thanks!

Offline Nick_2112

• Tiger Master
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 11:45:07 PM »

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 05:21:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Nick_2112 [+]
Hi, in my experience the best bargains are usually seen when you're not looking for one. i've seen some great bikes for sale on this forum for really good prices.
Here's some on ebay to get an idea, if it's from a dealer you can usually negotiate a bit off.
Good luck. All gen 1's BTW, obviously more for gen 2's. As for exporting, i've no clue on that one.

If you're exporting, get it done ASAP as there may be complications and extra costs post-Brexit.
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900

Offline herdygerdy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 17 White XRT
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 07:42:58 PM »
There was a fellow in the Algarve on here a while back selling a very sweet fully loaded Gen 2 XC (x IIRC).  Might be of interest? 

(At least that journey home would be mostly overland, except for the Malta ferry bit.)

Have a trawl through the For Sale section and good luck with your search for 'the one'.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch