Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Triumph Tigfer XC - need your advice and much appreciated experiences....  (Read 1566 times)

Offline grunty-motor

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XCA
Re: Triumph Tigfer XC - need your advice and much appreciated experiences....
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 10:08:16 PM »
Ebay is a good source - that is where i found mine and then contacted the Dealer direct, bought and delivered direct to my house without even seeing it (photos only). Plenty bikes out there.

good luck with search

Offline StretchToo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XC 2013
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 10:18:46 PM »
I think the XCx is worth the extra. I've seen nice low mileage examples with luggage for about 7500, and plenty of similar mint low mileage gen1 XCs going for 6500. Considering the extras that are standard on the XCx and also the cruise control and fuel economy, and just being a year or two younger for depreciation, I'd lean that way for the right deal.

That said, I bought a 2013 XC with all the extras you can ever imagine for 5800. I'm really happy with it. Amazing bike, I went through the same process of elimination you went through and kept getting tiger back as the answer. I actually wanted a KTM 990, but it was so uncomfortable I couldn't ride it for 5 minutes without getting back ache, and the gear box was terrible compared to a triumph gearbox, completely agricultural and intrusive, like a Harley. The tiger is a very easy bike to live with so far.

Offline StretchToo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XC 2013

Offline buddy13

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 10:03:57 PM »
Gents...I did it!!  :046: :046:

Took your advice and went for a low mileage Tiger XCx 2015 with some extras today!! Just sent the seller the deposit and am super excited. It is the first time I am buying from a private individual, but he looks really solid and honest. I normally buy from a dealer, leave all the paperwork to him and have a shipping company pick up the bike. So I now have some questions to get the bike here!!

- What paperwork is required to Transfer the bike to the new buyer (me)?
- Any additional paperork since it will be exported to Malta - EU (my location)
- I am thinking about picking up the bike in person mid to end January (cannot leave before due to work commitments :(). Driving it down South to Malta a Total of circa 1800 miles. This would make for a great adventure and also a chance to bond with the bike, but is it even possible to ride in UK during that time of year? I will also need to pass through France & Italy. I can wear plenty of layers but will snow/ice make it too dangerous? Last thing, I want is to drop this new bike :(
- Should you not reccomend the above, can I get a company to pick my bike up, do the paperwork and deliver to my shipping company Depot (circa 100 miles away)?

Many thanks in advance! Please help me get this bike home  :001: :001:

Offline walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 10:12:38 PM »
I would ride it back.....ive just come back from Germany/Switzerland running in my new XR, as long as there's no deep snow its fine, motorways will probably be cleared quickly anyway, some mornings it was down to 2 degs, I usually waited until it had warmed up a bit, say 10am before leaving hotel if I thought there was any chance of ice, ride short days and its fine, bearing in mind it will be a few degs warmer South of the Alps.... plenty of layers if you have no heated gear, stop regular for coffee and its enjoyable...a great way to get to know a new bike..... :028:

and it is an adventure bike after all..... :015:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 10:18:20 PM by walt »

Offline grunty-motor

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XCA
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 07:45:56 AM »
Hey, Congrats!

From a private buyer, i would always collect it - but that is some journey!

Just a thought - If you decide not to, then how about paying for an inspection? I've done this with cars, but not bikes.
https://www.hoopers.org.uk/private-customer-services.php

Offline buddy13

• Tiger Member
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2018, 08:03:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by walt [+]
I would ride it back.....ive just come back from Germany/Switzerland running in my new XR, as long as there's no deep snow its fine, motorways will probably be cleared quickly anyway, some mornings it was down to 2 degs, I usually waited until it had warmed up a bit, say 10am before leaving hotel if I thought there was any chance of ice, ride short days and its fine, bearing in mind it will be a few degs warmer South of the Alps.... plenty of layers if you have no heated gear, stop regular for coffee and its enjoyable...a great way to get to know a new bike..... :028:

and it is an adventure bike after all..... :015:

Thanks for reply!

That is what half my brain is saying  :001:...the other half is telling me to have it shipped home and wait for April to go for an adventure  :190:  :008:

Thanks for the tips! Black ice is what scares me. With all the work commitments, I cant be away for more than 6-7 days max, so I dont afford to take many off days due to inclement weather. I'll certainly let you all know how I got on!!

In the meantime can someone help me with what paperwork is required for export? I have a friend of mine who told me that supposedly I would just need to get to the post office.

Offline buddy13

• Tiger Member
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2018, 08:05:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by grunty-motor [+]
Hey, Congrats!

From a private buyer, i would always collect it - but that is some journey!

Just a thought - If you decide not to, then how about paying for an inspection? I've done this with cars, but not bikes.
https://www.hoopers.org.uk/private-customer-services.php

True! The seller seems like a very decent man, but sending that kind of money, to seomone I never met is still bonkers...

Thnaks a lot for the link! Have you used this company? Can they also get funds over to the seller and fix paperwork for you? I'll have a good look....

Offline buddy13

• Tiger Member
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2018, 08:12:09 AM »

Thanks so much for taking the time. Some great examples there. Never looked at MCN before...

I am lucky to have found a low mileage example for a fair price, with some extras which I really like, and that sooner or later I would still have invested in...

Can't wait to post some photos for you guys here :). Now next mission....to get it home safely...  :155: :009:

Offline walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2018, 04:14:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by buddy13 [+]
Thanks for reply!

That is what half my brain is saying  :001:...the other half is telling me to have it shipped home and wait for April to go for an adventure  :190:  :008:

Thanks for the tips! Black ice is what scares me. With all the work commitments, I cant be away for more than 6-7 days max, so I dont afford to take many off days due to inclement weather. I'll certainly let you all know how I got on!!

In the meantime can someone help me with what paperwork is required for export? I have a friend of mine who told me that supposedly I would just need to get to the post office.

the seller will have to deal with most of the paperwork in the UK, your responsibility in EU, luckily you'll probably get it all sorted before Brexit...have a look here

https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk

Recent Topics