Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Triumph Tigfer XC - need your advice and much appreciated experiences....  (Read 1855 times)

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Triumph Tigfer XC - need your advice and much appreciated experiences....
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2018, 05:54:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by buddy13 [+]
In the meantime can someone help me with what paperwork is required for export? I have a friend of mine who told me that supposedly I would just need to get to the post office.

I think your main work will be the importing side rather than the exporting. You'll get a V5C registration document along with the bike, which allows you to notify the DVLA in the UK that it has been permanently exported. Make sure the seller has the V5C.

Will your insurance company be able to cover the bike while it has UK registration?
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900

Offline buddy13

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2018, 07:33:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
I think your main work will be the importing side rather than the exporting. You'll get a V5C registration document along with the bike, which allows you to notify the DVLA in the UK that it has been permanently exported. Make sure the seller has the V5C.

Will your insurance company be able to cover the bike while it has UK registration?

Yes the bike has V5C document, in fact I have seen the section relating to 'Permanent Export'.

In Malta all I need is the signed V5C. Insurance can cover the bike and myself, as it covers the vehicle no matter who the owner is. But I am thinking whether the seller will agree to have me drive it while still 'appearing' in his name.

I am also having secdon thoughts about driving it over in this weather...I don't afford delays due to snow/rain and must do the trip in no more than 5-6 days Total due to work commitments  :155:

Offline StretchToo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XC 2013
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2018, 10:34:01 AM »
Hi, you can complete the V5 transfer of ownership online instantly now, so there's no need to drive with it listed as owned by someone else. The problem with that is the VED "vehicle tax" is cancelled, which you need to drive a UK registered vehicle on UK roads, so it would be better to do the paper forms, post them and then leave the country before they reach the DVLA and are processed. The previous owner sends this usually, I doubt they'd have a problem if you were insured.

Offline buddy13

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2018, 04:54:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by StretchToo [+]
Hi, you can complete the V5 transfer of ownership online instantly now, so there's no need to drive with it listed as owned by someone else. The problem with that is the VED "vehicle tax" is cancelled, which you need to drive a UK registered vehicle on UK roads, so it would be better to do the paper forms, post them and then leave the country before they reach the DVLA and are processed. The previous owner sends this usually, I doubt they'd have a problem if you were insured.

Super stuff. Many thanls for your help  :001:

Will heed your advice.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch