Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Wonky fuel gauge  (Read 1116 times)

Offline stevedo

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC
Re: Wonky fuel gauge
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 12:19:24 AM »
Mine went through a short spell of being possessed. After filling up the gauge wouldn't show full. Then, after maybe 100 miles it would show empty! After a few days it just sorted itself out.

I'm currently travelling on Tigger in South America. The issue first arose in Ecuador and I'm now in Peru. For a full record of my maintenance log (approaching 60,000 miles) take a look at this link http://www.tiger800rtw.com/tigger-maintenance-repair/

In researching my issue I came across a handful of other instances of the issue. All seemed to just fix themsleves after a short time. As did mine. I guess yours will sort itself out as well.

Saludos
Steve
Orange 800xc ABS

Offline herdygerdy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 17 White XRT
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 06:49:44 AM »
And while on the topic of fuel gauges, I've always wondered why it takes our trusty steeds a little while to decide that it really does in fact now have a full tank of fuel and for it to update the instrument gauge after a refill. 

I think I may have found a clue in the workshop manual.

According to the FSM , the various modules 'talking' via the CANBUS system (CAN = Controller Area Networking) are able to prioritise the messages being sent between the various control modules, based on importance and frequency.

So to me, it makes good sense that any real time engine/TPS/air/fuel/ABS / traction control etc related messages would need to be sent more often and be responded far sooner than a much less important fuel level message. 

And extending this  logic further, I would therefore suggest it also makes sense for the ECU to only send out a message to 'interrogate' the status of the fuel level sender unit every x seconds or minutes (as opposed to x gazillion times per second for engine, ABS, traction control stuff), so as to reduce the amount low priority data traffic traversing the CANBUS 'network'.

So IMHO only, I think that could be the reason why a freshly filled tank is not updated instantly on the fuel gauge.  Does that make sense or am I dreamin'?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 06:52:13 AM by herdygerdy »

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 09:16:57 AM »
Ehhh, my BMW R1200GS(canbus) registers a full tank as soon as I switch the ignition back on, my 2013(no canbus) / 2018 Tigers did/do not ........... :087:

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 09:37:15 AM »
To Clarify.

CANBUS on the Tiger is only between ECU and instrument cluster.

Fuel gauge is not on the canbus.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline steveg

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2012 T800 roadie
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 06:21:25 PM »
Fuel gauge did sort itself out eventually and now shows all bars when full

Cheers Steve
Tiger 800 roadie 2012

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 09:07:54 PM »
The gauges on both my Tigers have been vague at best. I fill to the same level every time and sometimes the gauge shows full and others it shows one bar missing. On Sunday it showed full when I filled it and after I ride 500 metres to where I was staying then on Monday morning it showed one bar missing.
Recently my low light cane on saying I had 90km to go then I went down a hill and the distance to empty went up to 125km and then on the flat started counting down from there.
Treat Triumph fuel gauges as a guide at best.

Recent Topics