Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Any disadvantages with a front 100/90 19” tire?  (Read 663 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Rorut

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 195
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
Any disadvantages with a front 100/90 19” tire?
« on: December 26, 2018, 09:42:47 PM »
Planning on buying the mitas e07.
Reason I want a 100/90 19” front tire instead of recommended 110/80
is that Im using the roadie wheels on my XC and the 100/90 compensates some for the 21”

Offline Bikerjimbob

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 119
  • Bike: Tiger 800xca
  • Location: NSW Australia
Re: Any disadvantages with a front 100/90 19” tire?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 10:16:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rorut [+]
Planning on buying the mitas e07.
Reason I want a 100/90 19” front tire instead of recommended 110/80
is that Im using the roadie wheels on my XC and the 100/90 compensates some for the 21”

I am using roadie wheels on my 2016 xca and went for the 100/90 for the same reason as you and can confirm it handles very well and the twisties are now amazing at speed much better than the 21" front (imho)
Go for it
Cheers Jim

Offline Rorut

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 195
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
Re: Any disadvantages with a front 100/90 19” tire?
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 10:26:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bikerjimbob [+]
I am using roadie wheels on my 2016 xca and went for the 100/90 for the same reason as you and can confirm it handles very well and the twisties are now amazing at speed much better than the 21" front (imho)
Go for it
Cheers Jim
Thanks!
I really like how it handles as well! Both high and low speed.
What tires are you using?


Offline Bikerjimbob

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 119
  • Bike: Tiger 800xca
  • Location: NSW Australia
Re: Any disadvantages with a front 100/90 19” tire?
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 10:44:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rorut [+]
Thanks!
I really like how it handles as well! Both high and low speed.
What tires are you using?

Pirelli scorpion trail ll, seem to be wearing well and good in the wet and dry, some people have had problems with them on here but for me they have been great.

Offline K1W1

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 3834
  • Bike: XRX
  • Location: SE Australia
Re: Any disadvantages with a front 100/90 19” tire?
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 12:15:13 AM »
110/80 x 19 are radials and 100/90 x 19 are cross ply tyres.
Radials are slightly more susceptible to sidewall punctures which is why manufacturers usually spec cross plies for the front of ADV bikes. If you are using the tyres only on the road or in some sort of 90/10 road/dirt type combo the radial 110/80 x 19 will give you better turn in and more stable cornering. The difference is immediately noticeable if you ride bikes with both sorts of tyers one after the other.
The actual outer diameter of the tyres is only a fraction of an inch different and even putting them one on top of the other on the ground you would be hard pressed to see it.

Offline Bikerjimbob

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 119
  • Bike: Tiger 800xca
  • Location: NSW Australia
Re: Any disadvantages with a front 100/90 19” tire?
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 04:02:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
110/80 x 19 are radials and 100/90 x 19 are cross ply tyres.
Radials are slightly more susceptible to sidewall punctures which is why manufacturers usually spec cross plies for the front of ADV bikes. If you are using the tyres only on the road or in some sort of 90/10 road/dirt type combo the radial 110/80 x 19 will give you better turn in and more stable cornering. The difference is immediately noticeable if you ride bikes with both sorts of tyers one after the other.
The actual outer diameter of the tyres is only a fraction of an inch different and even putting them one on top of the other on the ground you would be hard pressed to see it.

That's interesting the other reason for going down the Pirelli scorpion trail ll tyres was when I bought the wheels they came complete with discs tyres etc, the rear tyre was as new the front close to being worn out so bought a new front one to match the rear, maybe the next set of tyres I will try the 110/80 if the hight difference is really very minimal.
Cheers Jim

Offline Rorut

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 195
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
Re: Any disadvantages with a front 100/90 19” tire?
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 01:25:45 PM »
It seems like the Tiger 800 between 2011-2015 has 110/80 as recommendation and later models with 19” has 100/90. Wonder why triumph changed? The rims exactly the same?

Thank you guys!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 02:02:49 PM by Rorut »

 


Recent Topics


winded-staunch