Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: TPMS red light & new batteries  (Read 334 times)

Offline phatmanace

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2015 800 XRX
TPMS red light & new batteries
« on: December 30, 2018, 03:42:54 PM »
Folks,

I had a few questions about the tyre pressure sensors on my 800, I noticed that the light is coming on, but I think the tyre pressures are fine.

- is there a separate indicator for low battery/lost connection vs low pressure?
- if it is a low battery,  could anyone offer any guidance on approx cost to replace, I assume the labour is reasonably chunky as they have to take the tyres off to get at the unit?

Thanks in advance

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
Re: TPMS red light & new batteries
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 04:49:06 PM »
Check the tyre pressures via the instrument menu to check if the light is being caused by a low pressure.

A low sensor battery voltage will be reported on the instruments for several seconds after you start the engine and ride above a set speed. Should all be documented in the owner's manual.

There are 2 types of sensor used. The older type can easily be taken apart and the battery replaced. The newer type are potted making battery replacement much more tricky, but not impossible. There should be several threads on here covering TPMS battery replacement.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: TPMS red light & new batteries
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 05:59:33 PM »
Typically, loss of signal triggers the red TPMS light, you then need to toggle to the front and rear info screen and the one with loss of signal normally displays 2 dashes instead of a pressure reading. My rear sensor often did this reconnecting about 45 seconds later. In the end it became so frequent I insisted it be renewed under warranty. Thankfully since then (12k service Aug 16) no further comms loss.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Recent Topics