Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Magura hydraulic clutch kit  (Read 623 times)

Offline Dirtbag

• Tiger Member
  • Your motorcycle is more important.
  • Bike: tiger 800 xcx
Magura hydraulic clutch kit
« on: December 30, 2018, 11:34:47 PM »
Installed this kit , the mount hardware was to loose to work , built custom bracket and the two wire switch was wrong . Call magura USA and was sent a 3 wire switch instead .  So far seems ok , easier to pull in .

Offline Dirtbag

• Tiger Member
Re: Magura hydraulic clutch kit
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 01:20:33 AM »

application Tiger 800 2013 - on
Installed on a 2015 tiger 800xcx
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 01:22:44 AM by Dirtbag »

Offline SOHUTAA

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Xcx
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 08:25:43 PM »
Why go to hydraulics ?

The photo of your editing is blurry, it looks like you had to adapt a room.

What gain did you get compared to the cable ?

Offline Dirtbag

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 10:26:12 PM »
Actually I did notice the blurry upload , but I just wanted to post something basic , for any one that was interested , because I have found very little info on this up grade on the internet. The gain is 30 - 50 percent, easier operation and pull strength . I opened the line a few times trying to use the bolt and nut that came in the kit to bolt up to stock cable mount . And getting it set up , that design was useless . I measured it so I only have a couple milimeters of play so the mount I made would give the longest throw . Ordered 4 ounces magura blood , and used a siringe to push and pull the air out from the bottom bleeder . Just did a ride today after bleeding yesterday and the clutch is light and smooth . It take several hours to get it all setup .I will add better picks and some more wiring info in the next day or so. Also going list price is around 300 us I found it on eBay for a 211 $ then I pulled the trigger .Thx
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 10:33:47 PM by Dirtbag »

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC,XCX, CB1300,
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 03:53:47 AM »
I had the same question as SOHUTAA. My Tiger cable clutch is the easiest pull of any bike I ever had, including a hydraulic, so I don't understand the need for a hydraulic clutch but I'm willing to be enlightened. The force required to pull the clutch is the same regardless of the connection, and the lever distance is also the same. There in no  mechanical advantage. The only improvement I can think of is possibly a slight reduction in friction, which I would think could not be much. On the other hand, having just replaced a worn cable, I can see a maintenance advantage, except that you now have to change the fluid occasionally.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 03:58:25 AM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline Dirtbag

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 04:48:37 AM »
The magura switch in the supplied kit is a two wire switch that is a normally open switch and is closed when the clutch is pulled  , the factory 2 wire is normally closed when clutch is released . The 3 wire switch can be wired two ways , I soldered the blk and wht wires to the factory wiring with battery disconnected and left red wire unattached

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 05:07:55 AM by Dirtbag »

Offline Dirtbag

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 11:46:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
I had the same question as SOHUTAA. My Tiger cable clutch is the easiest pull of any bike I ever had, including a hydraulic, so I don't understand the need for a hydraulic clutch but I'm willing to be enlightened. The force required to pull the clutch is the same regardless of the connection, and the lever distance is also the same. There in no  mechanical advantage. The only improvement I can think of is possibly a slight reduction in friction, which I would think could not be much. On the other hand, having just replaced a worn cable, I can see a maintenance advantage, except that you now have to change the fluid occasionally.
I could not agree with you more .I guess that's why everybody I know that buys a new BMW can't wait to yank that awful hydraulic Clutch actuator and put in old fashion cable design . I guess they miss that stiff scratchy feel  :492:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 11:48:36 PM by Dirtbag »

Recent Topics