Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tight chain,  (Read 3308 times)

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
Re: Tight chain,
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2019, 10:07:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dick [+]
Sorry did not mean to open a bag of worms
Prolly OK? -- folks got an education on metals/corrosion.

But...
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
The markings on the swinging arm can be inaccurate
Are they or aren't they?
Can the Triumph factory mark the swingarm correctly?  :187:
"I've a fine felt hat and a strong pair of brogues
and I've rosin in my pocket for my bow.
My fiddle strings are new and I've learned a tune or two
and I'm well prepared to ramble I must go."
Tommy Makem

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2019, 10:03:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
Can the Triumph factory mark the swingarm correctly?  :187:

It'll be done & checked in a fixture, Triumph adhere to their 1 in 10 check on all operations, any fail & the previous 10 are pulled for thorough inspection. Their q/c is excellent, standard automotive procedure.

Dicks issue would more likely be caused by a PO or dealer oik.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline skinneroo

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger road
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2019, 06:02:27 AM »
Swing arm marks are within 0.5mm. It's what I expected as the arms will be cnc machined.
My measuring equipment was rudimentary, but i'm happy to trust the marks when adjusting the chain. :002:

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2019, 11:02:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by skinneroo [+]
Swing arm marks are within 0.5mm. It's what I expected as the arms will be cnc machined.
My measuring equipment was rudimentary, but i'm happy to trust the marks when adjusting the chain. :002:

:0461: With the way todays bikes are machined and assembled (including the frame) I would expect the swingarm adjuster indicator marks to be accurate enough for the bikes design use. On the other hand I freely joke that my, manufactured lots by hand on knackered old machinary, Meriden Bonneville was made to +/- 1/4".  :008:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Sandal farm

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2019, 11:03:43 PM »
A good idea to keep the adjuster  free as it's just cost me 60 to have the broken bolt spark eroded out of the swing in arm,  on the upside after rerouting the brake line wrongly I can now do the job really quickly

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2019, 01:05:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
Probably be ok, they aren't tightened as such. You may have noticed Triumph do not fit St/St screws into alloy, there is good reason.
https://www.essentracomponents.com/en-gb/news/product-resources/how-to-prevent-galling-on-stainless-steel-bolts

Triumph are using whirry tool things to screw in their fasteners at high speed, I'm not. And I use copper grease too. This might explain why, in 40 years of screwing stainless fasteners into aluminium, I've never had a problem.
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2019, 03:45:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
Triumph are using whirry tool things to screw in their fasteners at high speed, I'm not. And I use copper grease too. This might explain why, in 40 years of screwing stainless fasteners into aluminium, I've never had a problem.

:0461:  My 40yr old Meriden Bonnie has S/S screws fitting direct into alloy threads cut in the covers/casings (they didn't fit steel thread inserts back then, just used course pitch thread) and Copaslip and correct application of torque/tightness means I've never had to repair one yet.  :002:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2019, 05:28:33 PM »
Interesting discussion.

A story: I was in the nut & bolt section of a local hardware store and met a m/c buddy who's a machinist/founder (he makes re-pop items for collector bikes) and I said, "Hey Mike, look - they've got stainless steel fasteners." He said: "Why would you want those? (his reply was actually more colorful...) They'll just cause galling of the threads."
It caused me to re-think things -- as all may not be as simple as perceived at first blush...

Another story -- an automotive machinist once gave me these words of wisdom: "Never let metal know you're in a hurry."
"I've a fine felt hat and a strong pair of brogues
and I've rosin in my pocket for my bow.
My fiddle strings are new and I've learned a tune or two
and I'm well prepared to ramble I must go."
Tommy Makem

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2019, 06:38:06 PM »
I don't recall Meriden Triumph using St/St fasteners into alloy, can't imagine where. It's against all engineering principals. And far too costly to ever get past the accountants.

Boys in the club who've done a proper restoration job, had all the undamaged original fasteners re-plated.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2019, 03:03:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
I don't recall Meriden Triumph using St/St fasteners into alloy, can't imagine where. It's against all engineering principals. And far too costly to ever get past the accountants.

They didn't. I, and many others, did. I've never had, or heard of, any problems. Not just with Meriden Triumphs, with any bikes. I've had to use extreme violence on many a non-stainless fastener, though.
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900

Recent Topics