Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Aux Spotlights to high beam wiring...  (Read 2152 times)

Offline sjme

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XCA
Aux Spotlights to high beam wiring...
« on: January 04, 2019, 01:26:39 AM »
Hi All
I have the new 2018 XCA and want to remove the factory aux light and replace with my LED driving / spotlights that I had on my previous tiger. On the previous tiger it was easy to wire the relay via the wiring from the bulb but the new tiger has LED lighting and I'm reluctant to pull headlight assembly apart to source a connection. So....., Has anyone here achieved anything similar on the '18 model with LED headlights? Alternatively, how can I source a wiring diagram so as to locate the correct wiring, or even headlight relay to splice into? I've spoken to my local triumph dealer and seems there is no workshop manual available thus far (so as to source wiring diagrams) and although he can bring up relevant diagrams from the factory, it doesn't allow downloading or emailing!! He took a screenshot for  me but quality is not good enough to zoom into etc.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: Aux Spotlights to high beam wiring...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 02:27:28 AM »
I did what you are trying to do on my 2018 XCX. But I didn't have OEM installed.  Assuming the two bikes are configured the same, you will find the switched fog/aux lights connector under the right fairing near the top of the radiator. Since I didn't have the Triumph connector I replaced the triumph connector with a generic waterproof 2 pin connector. You could use the existing connector. From there you can run wires directly to your new lights. It switches as before and the relay is under the seat. Easy.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 02:29:55 AM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline sjme

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 03:16:02 AM »
Yeh.... Nah. I only want the new SPOTLIGHTS to switch off and on with the high beam, not the existing OEM switch. Other motorists tend to get upset if you dip to your low beam but you still have daylight happening on the front, and rightly so.

Offline Blitzy

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800 XCa
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 05:11:55 AM »
sjme, did you have any luck figuring the high beam wiring out? I am in the same situation at the moment.

Offline Silverstripes

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xrt
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 10:22:53 AM »
OK its not the factory way, But.

You could use a relay. Wire the Spots to the relay and the other connection to the battery. Hook up a neg feed to the relay and then splice into the main beam wire.

That way the main beam is only supplying a trigger for the relay (little drain and impact) and the spots will switch with main beam. You may need to use a meter to find main beam wire.

Spots +
                                                     Main Beam                              Earth
                                                                            Battery +
It wasn't me !!

Offline Blitzy

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800 XCa
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 10:29:13 AM »
Yeah that was the plan. Had the headlight out today and was testing with a multimeter however i wasnt getting a result on any wire at the headlight plug reading 12 volts or changing voltage when turning high beams on and off. Other than the drl and low beam. These registered 12 volts. But no other changed. Was quite strange really. Might have to chat with the dealer and see if i can get a look at the wiring diagram.

Offline pme

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: xrx lrh 2018
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 10:51:13 AM »
Try searching the forum for tritun manual download, I used the mozilla addon as described and downloaded the whole service manual for my 2018 xrx for about 6. Its not briliant but for 6 its not bad, there are wiring diagrams and wiring routes, again not briliant but probably as much as dealer would have.

just my two penneth

pme

Offline sjme

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 03:44:50 AM »
Okay update time.....
Unfortunately I've not had the chance to delve further into this as yet but all in good time.
Now, to help a few understand the issue..... THERE IS NO "BULB" AND NO LAMP CONNECTION.
There, I've said it.
The issue is that it has LED lighting and this will no doubt all be done via circuitry etc within the headlight assebly.
As for relays...., I'm an electrician. I know about relays and wiring them and if I had a H4 bulb as a headlight I could achieve this with my eyes closed.
PLEASE read the initial post to fully understand the issue here.
I'm just trying to avoid pulling the headlight assembly to bits if possible.
My best chance I believe is to try and find the headlight relay, possibly under the seat is my guess but there are a few and they are solid state so no clicking sound.
Cheers for the heads up for the owner manual etc. Will take a look at the that

Offline pme

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: xrx lrh 2018
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 07:27:29 AM »
PLEASE>>>as per my post, tritun.net and you can get a model specific service manual by selecting the correct dropdowns which has the wiring diagram that you wanted in your original post. Its small but it can be zoomed out and is readable, with colours of cables connections and modlues, try it, only six quid!!!!!
If you look at the relays you will see thay have a part number on them, google.... they are mostly standard omron (G8VA-1A4T) coil and contact type with a 120 ohm resistor (-R_)across the coil so the elelctronic management unit can see them.
The running light led unit is almost certainly a sealed assembly and  recieves "instructions" from the emu and solid state switches the appropriate led.

Online Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 02:16:53 PM »
I realise this is an old thread but while searching for an answer I came across this and it is pretty much exactly about what I want to know.

When I fitted the tank protection bars to my 900 Rally Pro and relocated the fog lights I was able to retain the original fog light mounts with only a minor mod needed. I've mounted some spot lights there now and want to connect them to their own switch and to the high beam. In order to do that I need to splice into the wire to the high beam and the easiest place would seem to be at the headlight. This is pretty straight forward with H4 headlights but the LED headlight has me confused, or at least cautious.

There is a single plug connecting the headlight and I presume this runs wires to power the three lights - low beam, high beam and the DRL. Does anyone know which wire is which or have any suggestions on a better approach? I only need to splice in one +ve wire and want the spot lights to operate independently to the fog lights and only on high beam.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch