Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Aux Spotlights to high beam wiring...  (Read 2151 times)

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: Aux Spotlights to high beam wiring...
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 12:08:32 AM »
You guys are assuming the lights are wired like most older bikes but they're not.
The Tiger 800 and 900, at least since 2018, use CAN-bus instructions sent to the headlight assembly. That assembly has circuitry to read the CAN-bus and switch the lights internally. Unless you are wiling to go inside the assembly to pick up the switched 12v line connected directly to the light, you won't be able to do what you want using straightforward wiring.
That's why I used the existing OEM fog light relay and switch.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 12:12:54 AM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Online Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 12:26:16 AM »
So theres no way to run aux driving lights connected to high beam? I can see the wires running into the back of the headlight assembly plug and was hoping I could tap into the one powering high beam. I dont want to use the fog light switch for 2 reasons. Im using it for the fog lights and they work on low beam and high beam. And no one wants spot lights running in thick fog anyway. I certainly dont want to damage the light or circuit, so is my only option to have them running a seperate switch, which is illegal? Or just forget about it.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2020, 01:43:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by Aussie Tiger [+]
So theres no way to run aux driving lights connected to high beam? I can see the wires running into the back of the headlight assembly plug and was hoping I could tap into the one powering high beam. I dont want to use the fog light switch for 2 reasons. Im using it for the fog lights and they work on low beam and high beam. And no one wants spot lights running in thick fog anyway. I certainly dont want to damage the light or circuit, so is my only option to have them running a seperate switch, which is illegal? Or just forget about it.

As often happens spending big dollars might be the answer.
Several third party light vendors like for example Denali or D2D have Can bus compatible modules that allow all sorts of things to happen like the spot lights going onto full power when the horn is activated. If you want to stay legal and spend a heap of money they may be worth investigating but I think I would just go with the separate switch option. Here in Vic we have no annual vehicle safely checks so as about 50% of the vehicles on the road appear to have at least one faulty headlight with no repercussions I think a person would be real unlucky to get pinged for a switch.

Online Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2020, 02:43:48 AM »
Im not overly worried about the strict legality of it. I think I might have nudged a km or 2 over the speed limit once or twice, accidentally of course. And my old Scrambler might have been a tiny bit loud.....
It really is more the convenience of it and wanting to avoid the need to hit 2 switches when Im suddenly confronted by a car coming towards me. I actually have a separate switch on there as a temp solution, which may need to become permanent. Ill see how I go, but not convinced its worth spending lots on it. I really only fitted the lights because the mounts were there anyway.
Thanks for the replies.

Online Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 02:45:02 AM »
Theres some pics in my gallery if anyones interested.

Offline sjme

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XCA
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2020, 10:07:49 AM »
Trust me, I researched this to death and spoke to Triumph Australia about it.... Can't be done. Well, not easily I expect. Correct on the Can bus comment. It all works in frequency signal and not actual voltage inputs unfortunately. Basically, we'd require triumph to supply a fix for this somehow for it to ever work.
Oh, and I ended up removing entire headlight assembly and checked voltage etc on each individual wire going in there and nothing. No change to any voltage on any wire in any way. That's just the way it is

Online Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2020, 10:23:29 AM »
Really appreciate that update. Thanks sjme.  Oh well.

Might remove the lights and put the nice plastic caps back on the mounts, although the temporary  set up I have allows for a Fast side to side flashing mode that looks just like the red and blue we all hate to see behind us - except without the red and blue colours. Looks a bit menacing anyway

Recent Topics

winded-staunch