Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Aux Spotlights to high beam wiring...  (Read 5735 times)

Offline frognuts

• Tiger Member
  • Never try to have the last word. You might get it.
  • Bike: Tiger 900 RP
Re: Aux Spotlights to high beam wiring...
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2021, 05:49:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonjak [+]

I have just purchased these cheapos from flea bay. Any idea what amp fuse I should use. I wired them with 5 amp wire which incidentally looks a larger scale than the wires from the light. I ran a fused wire from battery to switch, then to both + on light. Then the blacks to ground. The lights work for around 3-5 seconds then blow my 7.5 A fuse. I didnt have a 5A. There is no short with my wires, but guess it could be in the light units. I am reluctant to put a higher fuse in as yet, as that would involve replacing the supply cables for something beefier.

I think you'll need a 15A fuse

Assuming that they are 60W each which is stated on the advert screenshot then each light will draw 5A (Amps = Watts / Volts = 60/12) so for the two it would be 10A. You'll need a slightly higher rated fuse to account for fluctuations and spikes when switching - 15A is the next available size up from 10A in most automotive type fuses.

Offline Jonjak

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT Pro
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2021, 08:15:57 PM »
Thanks Frignuts, am I right to renew the cable to a higher amp, maybe 20A ?

Offline frognuts

• Tiger Member
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2021, 10:06:48 PM »
Yes, 20A would be safe. Remember to upgrade your earth wire to the same rating as well.

Offline Jonjak

• Tiger Member
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2021, 01:53:55 PM »
What on earth am I doing. I went out to get a higher gauge wire with the intention of replacing it all. Then I just looked up at my bike. FFS, this beauty has cost me in excess of 14K, and Im trying to fit a pair of 20 eBay special lights to it !!  What was I thinking. I decided to remove them. Sure the beam was great, and with a little fettling, I probably could have waterproofed them.  It as far as the quality of the diodes, and the onboard circuitry, you never know what your getting until it goes wrong.  O disrespect for those who have gone that route,  it for me, I was feeling more uncomfortable minute by minute.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 02:52:07 PM by Jonjak »

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 02:03:39 PM »
... FFS, this beauty has cost me in excess of 14, and Im trying to fit a pair of 20 eBay special lights ....

:005: .... hell, spill the beans, which dealer ... at that price even I could get interested in the 900 Tiger.  :492:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline frognuts

• Tiger Member
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2021, 04:32:36 PM »
What on earth am I doing. I went out to get a higher gauge wire with the intention of replacing it all. Then I just looked up at my bike. FFS, this beauty has cost me in excess of 14K, and Im trying to fit a pair of 20 eBay special lights to it !!  What was I thinking. I decided to remove them. Sure the beam was great, and with a little fettling, I probably could have waterproofed them.  It as far as the quality of the diodes, and the onboard circuitry, you never know what your getting until it goes wrong.  O disrespect for those who have gone that route,  it for me, I was feeling more uncomfortable minute by minute.

I hear you ...... I just seem to be attracted to the most expensive accessories no matter how hard I try not to!!!!  Anyhow - the Denali's are superb .... not cheap but worthy of your baby!!!

For interest Steve at "A Bike Thing" has produced a few interesting videos, one showing the different lights:
/> and one showing a bit about installation without cansmart:

BE WARNED .... watch them and you will buy !!!!

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2021, 05:14:26 PM »
60W LED lights seem a bit OTT. If you have a multimeter, you could check the current draw simply by wiring one up to a battery via the multimeter on the Amps range and see what it says. I'd have thought 6W would be more likely than 60 (which would be then half an amp, ie. 1A in total).
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2021, 05:31:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
60W LED lights seem a bit OTT.  ... I'd have thought 6W would be more likely than 60 (which would be then half an amp, ie. 1A in total).

That's what I thought also .... more likely bad/misleading advertising. I would have thought it more likely the LED light unit puts out the 'equivalent' of a conventional 60w light (like main beam), which as said is usually achieved by around roughly a 5 or 6w LED bulb.  :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Jonjak

• Tiger Member
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2021, 07:27:53 PM »
Frog its, I have seen these in a bike thing, and have also had a reply to an email that I sent him. He stated that the lights would not function the same as they do on the BMW. I cant remember what the unit is called for the BMs canbus, but it doesnt work on the Triumph. He did mention that they could be wired to run 50%power whilst on dipped beam, then switch over to 100% for high beam.
I did not continue as I thought it was overpriced.
It is now back on my radar.

Offline frognuts

• Tiger Member
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2021, 09:34:02 PM »
Frog its, I have seen these in a bike thing, and have also had a reply to an email that I sent him. He stated that the lights would not function the same as they do on the BMW. I cant remember what the unit is called for the BMs canbus, but it doesnt work on the Triumph. He did mention that they could be wired to run 50%power whilst on dipped beam, then switch over to 100% for high beam.
I did not continue as I thought it was overpriced.
It is now back on my radar.
Jonkak - For BMW Canbus wired bikes Denali sell a unit called the Cansmart controller -  my understanding is that you can program it via a laptop to do all sorts of things  like switch off lights on one side when indicating, strobe the lights etc ..... nice but definitely not necessary.

I have successfully wired by S4's to come on at 50% with ignition and go to 100% at full beam, I done it this way because I like the new Triumph LED DTR during the day rather than dipped beam but would have liked the Triumph Fog / Aux lights to work in daytime which is not an option so this way during the day I have the Denalis and the T DTR and at night I still have the denalis but they go to 100% on full beam - they also flash 100% when flashing your lights during the day. Works for me. My only problem was that he accidentally sent me the wrong size brackets for fitting the lights to the upper crash bars so I'm patiently waiting for new brackets. I'll post pics / video when they come.

They are expensive, but I can see the build quality in them - just hope they last!

Recent Topics