Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger XRT/XCA verse BMW GS850 Sport  (Read 804 times)

Offline Tiggi

• Tiger Cub
Tiger XRT/XCA verse BMW GS850 Sport
« on: January 04, 2019, 04:33:42 PM »
Hello everyone, I've currently got a Trophy SE 2016 which I'm looking at trading in for a lighter bike and I'm looking at the Tiger, BMW GS850 possibly African Twin.

If I went for the Tiger it will be the XRT or XCA models. I've taken the XRT for a test ride and overall quite impressed with spec, certainly lighter than the Trophy. I will miss the weather protection and the seat comfort for me and the wife & luggage. Slightly shocked at the luggage cost around 1300 including fitting and major service every 12K which I'm lead to be between 6-800 a time from main dealer. For info BMW have stated the GS major service is at 24K.

Apart from the servicing and luggage have there been any issues with this bike in the last year which I need to be aware of.

Thanks

Offline Silverstripes

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xrt
Re: Tiger XRT/XCA verse BMW GS850 Sport
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 07:27:43 PM »
Tiggi

I came to a new 800 XRT from a 1215 Trophy in September.

I love how nimble it is. I love that it is 100 kg Lighter to move about. I can put it on my table lift single handed. For a lighter bike the handling is superb. The motor is as good as the Trophy. Mine is doing over 60 MPG and at times averaging 70 MPG.

The down side is the grips are not so hot (or less hand protection). Yes it's colder being out in the air but the Trophy was unbearable last summer and yes you may get wetter and a bit more wind noise. Oh and a chain to look after.

Still glad I made the change  :152:
It wasn't me !!

Offline cyclops69

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 08:48:39 PM »
Hi Tiggi.. knowing how expensive many of the BMW dealer servicing costs are you might find the interim service costs for the GS850 are more than the Tiger anyway. And my buddies have had big bills on main servicing in excess of 600-800  albeit on the K series bikes. Also, you're pretty restricted on where you take Beemers for servicing as there are few indies due to the tools/devices/knowledge etc. needed to service them - where as you have more flexibility with the Tiger.

I see BMW are now doing 3 year warranties on their bikes but guess this might possibly tie you into dealer servicing anyway.

For a good review of the Tiger XC, AT  and GS search for Drivemag's review of them on u tube  and a surprising end result...

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 09:01:46 PM »
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline johntee

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 xca red
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 10:26:07 PM »
I changed my RT1200 for a new 800 XCA in September. Certainly less wind protection but Ive  got heated grips , heated seats and cruise that the BM had and around 75 kg less weight to move around.
A chain I can live with and I certainly wouldnt be looking at Triumph luggage but look on eBay at Givi/ Kappa/etc alternatives which are half the price quoted earlier.
The bike is much more enjoyable to ride feeling so light and flickable and so far certainly no regrets.( also getting a lot better fuel consumption)

Offline restandplay

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XCx
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 09:47:49 AM »
Hi

Having owned both a BMW F800Gs and a Tiger XCX I certainly would go no where near a BMW F800GS as mine had reliability issues which I understand from the BMW F800GS forum were very common place. My main problem was that the bike would not work in high temperatures. It run perfect in the UK (well almost) but taken it abroad then another holiday was ruined. The BMW dealer failed to fix it correctly so I sold it on. The Tiger in 12,700 miles has been spot on.

Derek

Offline lanerider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 xcx
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 10:09:42 AM »
i had a bmw k1300r rocket ship with unbelievable performance in fact too much grunt i kept seeing tiger 800 s about and got to a point where i thought they must be good as no one had any issues with them so i swopped my bmw in for a new 800 xcx 10 month ago and i love the lightness and reliability of it no problems what so ever and the tyres are doing well i get about 65 mpg i would not swop back to a bmw in fact there malvern goretex suit is very good as well .. enjoy your new bike what ever you choose

Recent Topics