Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heated gripes  (Read 676 times)

Offline Dick

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800xR
Heated gripes
« on: January 05, 2019, 05:09:29 PM »
 Not been use to the lucherey  of heated grips, first winter on my 2013 tiger( Oxford) forgot to turn them off,flat battery ,tried 10 times ,then got 3 lads to bump start hear  3nd gear, no good ,1/2  hour later ,Ing on for 5 seconds,just got hear ! Lesson leant .will wire them to the Ing, to morrow .
just because you have your eyes open does not mean you are alive!

Online bucksfizz

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
Re: Heated gripes
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 08:26:33 PM »
If you wire them into the ignition, as I have done, then use a relay.
You don't want to overload whatever circuit you've tapped into.

Offline Dick

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 09:45:38 PM »
Thanks for that ,don't understand electricity! Get my son to do it.my last bike had a volt meter  on it.11.8v no good.

Online bucksfizz

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 11:06:59 PM »
You don't need to understand electricity - just follow instructions.
Find a switched live to tap into, using a multi-meter, and use something like a Posi-tap to get +12V.
Run this switched live to terminal 85 of the relay.
Connect terminal 86 of the relay to earth.
(This will trip the relay when you switch on, and make the grips "live".)
Now connect one side of an line fuse with the correct amperage (say 10 amps) to the positive side of the battery, and the other side to terminal 30 of the relay.
Connect terminal 87 of the relay to the positive side of your heated grips, and the negative side of your heated grips to earth.
That's all there is to it.
Switch on and the grips will be activated, and will feed directly off the battery.
When you switch off the ignition, the grips will switch off.
Even though some of the newer Oxford grips switch off automatically, I still prefer to use a relay.

Offline Dick

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 11:14:39 PM »
Thanks again for that 'still get my son to do it!

Offline sprint

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 10:33:06 AM »
If you get one of the later Oxford Handlebar Heaters they have an automatic cut out circuit built into the control unit such that if you do forget to switch it off when you turn the ignition off it automatically turns the heaters off when the battery voltage drops. Have used these on my Pan European for the last couple of years and it has saved me many times as I have forgotten to switch them off.

This assumes that you just connect the unit directly to the battery. If you are able to find an ignition switched power lead and fit a suitable 12v relay to power the heaters then that is clearly the best way but if that is too difficult then consider the Oxford units.

Offline Dick

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 05:00:59 PM »
Or I could just get heated gloves ,thanks any way,can't Wait till spring.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger XRt
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 05:01:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dick [+]
then got 3 lads to bump start hear  3nd gear, no good ,1/2  hour later ,...

Welcome to electronics. The days of bump starting are pretty much gone, even my 1979 Bonneville with only (now basic) electronic ignition, nothing else, won't bump or kickstart if the battery is flat (below 10.5v). There is no way bump starting you can turn the engine over fast enough for the alternator to produce the amount of output that will power the necessary start components, fuel pump, injector solenoids, relays, etc. When it was basic points ignition and a simple coil yes, but now ... possibly some modern bikes will still but I think the majority won't?  :012:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online tcbandituk

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 XRt
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 06:51:27 PM »
Last bike I had that would bump start with a flat battery was a 96 Bandit 1200....
2015 Bonneville Speedchurch
2018 Speed Triple RS
2018 Tiger 800 XRt

TC Drag Bike

Offline Alunr

• Tiger Master
  • Alun
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 07:12:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by sprint [+]
If you get one of the later Oxford Handlebar Heaters they have an automatic cut out circuit built into the control unit such that if you do forget to switch it off when you turn the ignition off it automatically turns the heaters off when the battery voltage drops. Have used these on my Pan European for the last couple of years and it has saved me many times as I have forgotten to switch them off.

This assumes that you just connect the unit directly to the battery. If you are able to find an ignition switched power lead and fit a suitable 12v relay to power the heaters then that is clearly the best way but if that is too difficult then consider the Oxford units.

Yes, my Oxfords have the auto cut-out. But I still have them wired to an ignition enabled circuit. Belt and braces  :001: :001: :001:
You're never too old to have a happy childhood :-)

Past Bikes: Panther 600, BSA Bantam, Lambretta TV 175, Lambretta GT200, AJS 125, Suzuki Gladius, Honda NT700. Present: Triumph Tiger 800 ABS

Recent Topics