Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Our trip to Morocco this April  (Read 528 times)

Offline restandplay

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XCx
Our trip to Morocco this April
« on: January 06, 2019, 07:35:41 PM »
Hi
This might be of interest to fellow forum members being our Itinerary for this year's Adventure tour to Morocco.

TOUR CRAZY ITINERARY Morocco and the Sahara Desert.(A combination of fun and Adventure)

Be prepared for possible cold weather crossing Spain both ways. Temp could be as low as 5C at times (Very unpredictable this time of year) . Thermals plus winter gloves essential. Weather towards the Spanish coast and in Morocco should be OK and in the mid twenties at least.

Day One Leave Templecombe Somerset at 12.00 (noon) to ride to Plymouth to catch the Brittany Ferry  to Santander which departs at 15.45 hours.  (Four berth Cabin Booked with 8.35 breakfast voucher per person)

Day Two Arrives in Santander at 12.15 pm Spanish time (One hour advanced).
Ride to Zafra Spain staying the night at  Hotel Plaza Grande. Evening meal and Breakfast included. We should debark and clear customs etc by 1.30pm. Ride 6.23 hours being 439 miles therefore I expect we will arrive by 8.00pm latest.

Day Three  Breakfast is served at 8.00am so we leave by 9.30 am prompt for our ride to the port of Algeciras 202 miles taking 3.11 hours to catch the 14.00 hours ferry to Tanger Morocco which arrives at 14.30 hours (Moroccan time is less one hour). I expect us to clear customs (Buy motorbike insurance etc 35.871N 5.520W ) by 16.00 hours.  From Tanger we ride through the Rif mountains to Chefchacuene to stock up on local produce  staying at the Dar Yakout Hotel. Breakfast and Evening included. The ride to the Hotel is 71 miles taking 2.23 hours therefore we should be there before 18.30 hours,

Day Four  Sees us ride a twisty road along the coast and then inland to Fez staying the night at Palais de Fes Dar Tazi  which is a former Palace steeped in history. 248 miles approx 7.48 hours riding. Breakfast and Evening Meal included. Restaurant on site

Day Five sees us ride across country to Marrakech staying at the Four Star Labranda Targa Aqua Parc. all meals included. 312 miles taking 8.27 hours

Day Six 320 miles taking 9.06 hours to Icht deep into the desert staying at the Borj Biramane.  Half Broad so all meals are included

Day Seven
We ride to Ouarzazate set in the Atlas Mountains and stay close to the worlds largest film studio 6.48 Hours 271 miles. Free entry if required.  Very unusual location with swimming pool, war planes etc. We stay the night at the Oscar Hotel. Breakfast  and Evening Meal included and Restaurant on site

Day Eight
We travel to the coast staying in Essaouira 240 Miles taking 6.16 hours. The Hotel overlooks the sea with breakfast included served on the roof terrace overlooking the sea, Restaurant on site. Breakfast and Evening meal included.

Day Nine We travel back to Fez 7.15 hours 420 miles for our last nights stay in Morocco staying at the Raid Dar Skall in the Presidential Suite. Restaurant on site. Evening meal and Breakfast included. 

Day Ten  We travel through the Rif Mountains to catch the Ferry from Tanger to Spain Departs 16.00 hours Arrives  18.30 hours  194 miles Riding 4.26 hours.  We will need to leave the hotel on time (latest 9.30am). We stay the night in Algeciras Spain. Hotel Aura Algeciras includes Evening Meal and Breakfast.

Day Eleven We journey across Spain staying in Salamanca at the Hall 88 Apartahotel Dinner and Breakfast included. 7.39 hours 493 miles We travel through the Sierra de Gredos (Mountain range)

Day Twelve We ride from Salamaca to catch the ferry from Bilbao at 15.30  Riding 4.14 hours 280 miles (Spanish time one hour advanced from Morocco) for our return to Portsmouth 4 Berth Cabin with 8.35 breakfast voucher each. Riding distance 260 miles taking 4.08 hours. Need to be at the ferry by 13.30 Leave to hotel by 9.30 hours

Day Thirteen  Arrive back in the UK at 14.15 hours (Portsmouth) therefore back home by about 17.00 hours.
Hope you enjoy the tour.

We intend to run the same tour (Fourth time) in April 2020 and anyone wishing to join us just message me for dates and cost etc. Mainly on tarmac and any age or riding experience  welcome.

Derek

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 08:20:38 PM by restandplay »

Offline Gebrauchtwagen83

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800xcx
Re: Our trip to Morocco this April
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 07:42:36 PM »
Sounds superb.
We are planning to go in October. We are planning to go from algerceiras to nador but we havent been before so any thoughts on this point of entry would be appreciated. Weve yet to plan our time there but we plan on doing quite a few trails before a ride up to Casablanca to stay with relatives.

Offline restandplay

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 07:55:24 PM »
Hi

The crossing we are doing is, I think, the quickest and the cheapest also it is easy to buy insurance at Tangier. We have got the ferry fare (booking direct with Trasmeditrranea) for about 48 each way (Bike and rider).

We have toured almost every country in Europe but Morocco certainly comes out as our favourite.  Such good value, very nice friendly people and the roads are so different. We do not go beyond a safe pace but I suppose North Africa is so different it adds to the adventure.

Derek
 PS Let me know before you book your ferry if going with Brittany Ferries as I can save you 10% off the ferry fare.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 08:02:35 PM by restandplay »

Online Rogue_Shadow

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XRT
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 08:15:09 PM »
This sounds amazing!
This year wont be feasible for me unfortunately as ive already got a non motorbike holiday planned at the same time. However I would be extremely interested for next year or for any other trips you may have planned.
None of my friends locally ride, but I have have toured into Europe a couple times with a large group from another forum. Unfortunately that group has gone quiet & ive not yet tested my Tiger with touring miles :(

Whats level of rider skill would this trip be suitable for?
Im not a weekend warrior, but I dont stray too far from tarmac.
Also whats the approximate cost and group size?

Thanks for sharing  :028:

Offline restandplay

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 08:51:38 PM »
Hi

Thanks for your comments and I will update the post later in the year after this years tour with a tour report including pictures etc which will give a good idea of the trip.

Derek

Offline Cumbria_Paul

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCX
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 11:58:48 AM »
Hi, I'm planning on riding to Gibraltar (grown up daughters live there) later this year (early July or September) just wondered about which is the best crossing to the continent. The ferries to Spain obviously cut out riding across France but are 4 or 5 times the cost of nipping across the channel. Is it worth it? I'm looking at taking around 15-17 days all told and also fancied going through or coming back through Portugal. I'm travelling solo also. Any thoughts/tips/ferry deals much appreciated. Cheers Paul
Mid life crisis? Nah just the usual lifelong one :)

Offline Gebrauchtwagen83

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800xcx
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 12:24:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Cumbria_Paul [+]
Hi, I'm planning on riding to Gibraltar (grown up daughters live there) later this year (early July or September) just wondered about which is the best crossing to the continent. The ferries to Spain obviously cut out riding across France but are 4 or 5 times the cost of nipping across the channel. Is it worth it? I'm looking at taking around 15-17 days all told and also fancied going through or coming back through Portugal. I'm travelling solo also. Any thoughts/tips/ferry deals much appreciated. Cheers Paul

If your going as far as Gibraltar if it was me Id ferry it to Spain. It would take you 3 days to get to northern Spain otherwise and 150 in petrol anyway. Ive ridden from Barcelona to calais on my own and it is a long way. Some might argue thats the point so each to their own. Youve got the beauty of a nice long ride down through Spain and back.

Offline Rocket

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: R1200GS, CRF250L
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 01:27:10 PM »
There's some serious day miles you are riding, day after day. You've done it before , so you obviously know your limits, and road conditions, but just curious about your average speed and personal fitness needed given you are covering up to 500 miles in a day.

Offline restandplay

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 02:37:17 PM »
Hi

I and a guy called Ben run these trips and yes this is our third trip to Morocco and countless others throughout Mainland Europe. He is a young 42 years of age and a very experienced rider having done a tour through the Cambodia Jungle and through Costa Rica. I am more for tarmac than off road although a few of the roads in Marocco can be classed as mid way between the two. I am (Wait for it) a young 75 years of age. We are both fit but not over the top. We normally plan for about 7 hours average ridding per day but sometimes this can run up to 10.

We ride mainly together but depending on skills we can separate. The length of days are fine and well tested. There is no point arriving at hotels mid afternoon as it is better to have fun exploring on the bikes.  As for the average speed it depends on the terrain and it could be lower than 30 MPH but we are not speed merchants and on motorways for example, if conditions allow, 70 to 75 MPH seldom much more.

Derek

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 02:47:37 PM by restandplay »

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 09:06:13 AM »
Looks great and would love to join you, unfortunately I'm all booked up this year, please send me details of dates and cost for 2020. Thanks.

Got to say looking at your itinerary Day 2 - 439 miles in 6.23 hour looks a little ambitious  :084:

Having been on a number of different tours (all tarmac) to the Alps, Pyrenees etc etc, to cover this sort of mileage with fuel food & coffee stops would usually take at least 8hrs  :260:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch