Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tubeless Tire Preformance  (Read 767 times)

Offline Tenequip

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCx
Tubeless Tire Preformance
« on: January 06, 2019, 10:33:13 PM »
Planning a trip this summer to Newfoundland & Translabrador Highway. Im wondering if there is a problem with the tubeless tires on the Tiger. Anyone have any bad experiences with the spoked wheels & tubeless tires on the Tigers? :112:

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Tubeless Tire Preformance
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 09:39:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Tenequip [+]
Planning a trip this summer to Newfoundland & Translabrador Highway. Im wondering if there is a problem with the tubeless tires on the Tiger. Anyone have any bad experiences with the spoked wheels & tubeless tires on the Tigers? :112:

Unless you seal the rims you won't be leaving your drive way.  The rims must be sealed.  There are some threads here on the subject.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 01:50:10 PM »
Do you mean the fact that the tyres are marked as tubeless, though they have tubes in, or are you trying to use them without tubes?
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline Tenequip

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 03:50:22 PM »
The tires  on my 2015 tiger xcx are labeled as tubeless, so I am thinking no tubes. The translaborador highway is about a 1000 mile long and a good bit is dirt haul road and quite isolated. I normally only carry a plug kit for the tubeless tires, but this is the first trip on the tiger with the spoked wheels. Trying to find out if I need to take an extra tube along. :084:

Offline tcbezza

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 04:17:16 PM »
If the bike is an XC then it will be running spocked wheels with tubes in them. You can generally tell the difference looking at the tyre valve as a tube will have a valve held in place by a nut, either round or hex depending on the tube. If you have tubed tyres then as far as I know you cannot plug them you have to repair the tube. Unless somebody knows different.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 08:07:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tenequip [+]
Planning a trip...Translabrador Highway.
Im wondering if there is a problem with the tubeless tires on the Tiger.
Anyone have any bad experiences with the spoked wheels & tubeless tires on the Tigers?
Well, if you search through the forum, you'll find lots of discussion on that subject.
In summary, Triumph goofed-up royally on the Tiger800 XCs when it comes to tires & wheels.
First off: if they wanted spoked wheels?, they should've built them with the spokes attached to the rim so tubeless tires would work (not spokes thru the rim). B/C of that design error, XCs must be fitted with inner-tubes -- regardless of type of tire: tube, tubeless, bias-ply, or radial.
Secondly: the tire sizes chosen for the Tiger800 XCs are mainly found as radials for the rear and bias-ply for the front (so different species right off the bat...).
Tire folks recco radial tubes be fitted inside radial tires (good luck sourcing those...). And, you'll be hard-pressed to find a bias-ply rear tire b/c of its modern size (to be compatible with the bis-ply-type inner-tube). Altho, the XC does come fitted with a tubeless tire style rim fitted to the rear wheel (which compliments modern tires).
Triumph also built the XC's front wheel with a rim not designed for a tubeless tire (not that you're likely to find many 21" tubeless tires...).
So, bottom line: if you have a flat (for whatever reason)?, you'll need wrenches & tire tools and either an inner-tube patch kit or spare inner-tubes (or, both) and an air-pump/CO2/etc. You'll also need to be adept at wheel removal & install and tire-changing -- which includes breaking the bead of the rear tire (with it's special bead to secure a tubeless tire) -- which often requires a good bead-breaker.
And, practice at home before you leave.
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Tenequip

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 08:34:48 PM »
Brought the bike with only 800 miles on it, but the owner had replaced the original tires. I will contact the original owner and see if he took care of the problem and at least fill out if it has tubes.
Thanks!

Recent Topics