Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fuel Cleaner  (Read 611 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Kris

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 377
Fuel Cleaner
« on: January 09, 2019, 11:04:34 AM »
if someone is interested, I highly recommend fuel cleaner. on top of that, not using fuel with ethanol mixed. ethanol is very bad for the engine.

I found two types of fuel cleaners. one is funnel and second you put inside the tank.

https://guglatech.it/en/products/M24006-ARM

the second one is quite amazing. you can watch the video:

https://www.bikenbiker.com/products/fuel-filter-and-cleaner-funnel-flo-tool
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:07:41 AM by Kris »

Online K1W1

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 3657
  • Bike: XRX
  • Location: SE Australia
Re: Fuel Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 11:56:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by Kris [+]
the second one is quite amazing. you can watch the video:

https://www.bikenbiker.com/products/fuel-filter-and-cleaner-funnel-flo-tool

Way too bulky to carry on any sort of trip so not practical on a motorcycle unless you want to fill up at home from a jerry can all the time.
A couple of layers of womans (or mens let's not be sexist) nylon stocking over any sort of funnel is usually sufficient to filter out impurities and if there is water in the fuel a couple of hundred mils of methylated spirits tipped into the tank is enough to break down the surface tension between the water and the fuel and allow the water to pass harmlessly through the engine and exist the exhaust as steam.

Offline Kris

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 377
Re: Fuel Cleaner
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 12:12:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
Way too bulky to carry on any sort of trip so not practical on a motorcycle unless you want to fill up at home from a jerry can all the time.
A couple of layers of womans (or mens let's not be sexist) nylon stocking over any sort of funnel is usually sufficient to filter out impurities and if there is water in the fuel a couple of hundred mils of methylated spirits tipped into the tank is enough to break down the surface tension between the water and the fuel and allow the water to pass harmlessly through the engine and exist the exhaust as steam.

Pardon me, but are you referring to the external funnel or the system that enters the inside of the tank?  the one which enters the tank is obviously not bulky. the other funnel system, you do need to carry with yourself.  regarding the water in the fuel, I had several incidents that my bikes would not run for that reason. And also these filters filter all kind of impurities besides the water.

Online KildareMan

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 7763
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
  • Location: Naas Ireland
Re: Fuel Cleaner
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 01:10:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kris [+]
Pardon me, but are you referring to the external funnel or the system that enters the inside of the tank?  the one which enters the tank is obviously not bulky. the other funnel system, you do need to carry with yourself.  regarding the water in the fuel, I had several incidents that my bikes would not run for that reason. And also these filters filter all kind of impurities besides the water.
The sock (enters into the tank) is not practical either if as most of us have some sort of a pump guard installed.  Some are removable, some not - mine is welding in place. AS K1W1 says stockings and meths are your friend.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline Kris

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 377
Re: Fuel Cleaner
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 01:21:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
The sock (enters into the tank) is not practical either if as most of us have some sort of a pump guard installed.  Some are removable, some not - mine is welding in place. AS K1W1 says stockings and meths are your friend.

I live in Asia, and i am scared of the fuel pumps. clogging my injectors is the last thing I want.  what is the problem with the external fuel filter?  it is not big, and I can carry it with me easily?  And what is exactly the problem with the internal filter?  you just stuck it into the fuel tank and move the protective rod aside to let the fuel filter enter fully inside.  I am not fully sure what you mean by pump guard???

Offline Stevie.P

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 2041
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger XRt
  • Location: Plymouth, UK
Re: Fuel Cleaner
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 01:55:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kris [+]
... move the protective rod aside to let the fuel filter enter fully inside.  I am not fully sure what you mean by pump guard???

That protective rod is the pump guard. It is there to help stop you banging the fuel pump filler nozzle into the bikes fuel pump directly below the filler hole. If you try moving it aside it will most likely snap off, falling into the tank and possibly jamming up the fuel gauge float mechanism at worse or rattling around in the bottom at best.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!


Offline Kris

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 377
Re: Fuel Cleaner
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 02:04:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
That protective rod is the pump guard. It is there to help stop you banging the fuel pump filler nozzle into the bikes fuel pump directly below the filler hole. If you try moving it aside it will most likely snap off, falling into the tank and possibly jamming up the fuel gauge float mechanism at worse or rattling around in the bottom at best.

are you sure? this the response i received:   

we have sold many units of the M24006, now it has the ARM technology, full encl,osing the filter in a fine protective mesh to prevent aggression from the fuel tank/pump sharp edges.

We had one such case while applying the GreenBoy trick to the filter (https://blog.guglatech.it/en/articles/2018/11/05/green-boys-trick-for-all-guglatech-fuel-filters) but in case of simple installation we never received such a feedback

we recommend to move aside the protective rod in order to let the filter fully deploy in the tank.

Offline Kris

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 377
Re: Fuel Cleaner
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 02:17:09 PM »
the response I received from the fuel filter company:

well tell them it has been done gently and nothing has happened ;)

the picture I sent you are from our customer ;)

it's a welded metal rod, it's not made of wood ;)

jamming what???

sorry, piece of metal goes to the bottom, fuel gauge is floating above fuel level ;) again, sorry, no technical knowledge here ;

Offline Stevie.P

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 2041
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger XRt
  • Location: Plymouth, UK
Re: Fuel Cleaner
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 02:38:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kris [+]
it's a welded metal rod, it's not made of wood ;)

jamming what???

sorry, piece of metal goes to the bottom, fuel gauge is floating above fuel level ;) again, sorry, no technical knowledge here ;


It's a metal rod, spot welded each end. Unless you believe it will stretch, I would suspect one end or both to snap.

If the bar breaks off chances are it will go to the bottom or could catch up in the fuel floats arm or their pivot which are not above the fuel level.
https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5596960/tiger-800-xcx-from-vin-674842/fuel-tank-fuel-pump-fittings

They show a mod to ensure that the filter does not slow down fuel supply if the bike has gone on its side then in bold writing make the statement that the improvement mod mustn't be applied to the Triumph Tiger . not very confidence inspiring to me.

At the end of the day only you can decide if you think it a good product or not.

Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!


Offline Kris

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 377
Re: Fuel Cleaner
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 02:46:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
It's a metal rod, spot welded each end. Unless you believe it will stretch, I would suspect one end or both to snap.

If the bar breaks off chances are it will go to the bottom or could catch up in the fuel floats arm or their pivot which are not above the fuel level.
https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5596960/tiger-800-xcx-from-vin-674842/fuel-tank-fuel-pump-fittings
They show a mod to ensure that the filter does not slow down fuel supply if the bike has gone on its side then in bold writing make the statement that the improvement mod mustn't be applied to the Triumph Tiger . not very confidence inspiring to me.

At the end of the day only you can decide if you think it a good product or not.
[/quote

I am not really sure.  I am asking them. but the external fuel filer is for sure a good option.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 02:48:25 PM by Kris »

 


Recent Topics


winded-staunch