Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fuel Cleaner  (Read 609 times)

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
Re: Fuel Cleaner
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 02:49:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kris [+]
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
It's a metal rod, spot welded each end. Unless you believe it will stretch, I would suspect one end or both to snap.

If the bar breaks off chances are it will go to the bottom or could catch up in the fuel floats arm or their pivot which are not above the fuel level.
https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5596960/tiger-800-xcx-from-vin-674842/fuel-tank-fuel-pump-fittings
They show a mod to ensure that the filter does not slow down fuel supply if the bike has gone on its side then in bold writing make the statement that the improvement mod mustn't be applied to the Triumph Tiger . not very confidence inspiring to me.

At the end of the day only you can decide if you think it a good product or not.

I am not really sure.  I am asking them. but the external fuel filer is for sure a good option.
[/quote

I am not really sure.  I am asking them. but the external fuel filer is for sure a good option.

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 03:01:22 PM »
I am not really sure.  I am asking them right now. but the external fuel filer is for sure a good option.

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 03:19:00 PM »
another response from the manufacture:

the customer delicately bent the rod wiht a simple big screwdriver, put a bit of rubber on the side of the neck and "leveraged" out of the way

you can mount the filter simply with the rod too, and where is it written about the << They show a mod to ensure that the filter does not slow down fuel supply if the bike has gone on its side>> so they are referring to a totally different mod, namely the M04006 with the GreenBoy mod ( https://blog.guglatech.it/en/articles/2018/11/05/green-boys-trick-for-all-guglatech-fuel-filters) where it is written NOT TO USE IT ON THE TIGER and yet they discuss my technical decisions and the very simple solution to keep the huge "sail" always straigh and fast at refueling.

my opinion? negativity never helped to overcome gravity, we design fuel neck filters, we try to mount them on as many bikes as possible, we create new solutions and thanks to our fantastic customers and friend we usually find a good working solution,  some makers do shitty tanks, Triumph has a very badly shaped tank neck filler to prevent fuel pump destruction while the nozzle is inserted violently inside the tank,  and poor quality steel, not different from Japanese bike though, miracles are next door :)

Sorry for being sarcastic, it's also quite hard to answer such "attaks" to our products via mail of a third party :)

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 03:44:51 PM »
if someone is interested, I highly recommend fuel cleaner.
on top of that, not using fuel with ethanol mixed.
ethanol is very bad for the engine.
What, in particular, does ethanol do that is very bad for the engine?
Old poem from 'back in the day':
You'll never wear out the Indian Scout -- or its brother the Indian Chief.
They're built like rocks to take hard knocks -- it's the Harleys that give all the grief.

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 04:38:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]

it attracts water, so it causes the petrol to deteriorate. it is has less power/energy. it burns cleaner, because it has less energy, but it creates more heat in the engine...etc. some companies make money from it, and native bikers think that it is ok for their bikes, because they have sticker on their tank saying that 10% ethanol is acceptable, etc...

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 05:29:33 PM »
it attracts water, so it causes the petrol to deteriorate.
Gasohol's hygroscopic properties are mainly a storage problem. As that may relate to motorcycles: mainly w/2-stroke pre-mix fuel.
Moisture has always been and will always be around.

it is has less power/energy. it burns cleaner, because it has less energy, but it creates more heat in the engine...etc.
Gasohol has less BTUs (energy) -- but, still plenty...
How does that create more heat?
(not that that would be bad -- if it could?)

some companies make money from it, and native bikers think that it is ok for their bikes, because they have sticker on their tank saying that 10% ethanol is acceptable, etc...
It is ok for your bike -- especially, if you have a Tiger800.
Now if you plan on riding an antique / classic / custom-modified / pre-mix 2-stroke / ? -- then you may need to think about your fuel choice.

Bottom line: ethanol is not very bad for your engine. It's merely an oxidation enhancer that helps clean the air we breathe with the added benefit of reducing the use of petroleum fuels.
If there were gas problems extant, you wouldn't be the only one affected -- there'd be stalled vehicles everywhere.
Old poem from 'back in the day':
You'll never wear out the Indian Scout -- or its brother the Indian Chief.
They're built like rocks to take hard knocks -- it's the Harleys that give all the grief.

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 06:27:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]

"The peak flame temperature of ethanol is 1,920 C (3,488 F), while the the peak temperature of gasoline is 1,026 C (1878.8 F). Ethanol burn hotter meaning car engines run hotter.

One of the bad things that happens when ethanol used as a fuel is that car mileage will actually decrease. The New York Times stated that E10 gasoline, which is the gas used in America, actually provides 2-3 miles per gallon less than gasoline. E85 is a flex-fuel with 85% ethanol loses 7-8 miles per gallon.

Compounding the problem, the use of ethanol causes gummed-up fuel systems, damaged tanks and phase separation caused by stray moisture infiltrating fuel systems. Automakers have filed a lawsuit against the EPA's decision to make E15 (gasoline with 15 percent alcohol) legal for all cars after 2007. They argue that, among other problems, the blend could damage the engine."

Offline Fuge

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 17 Tiger 800 XCx
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 06:49:32 PM »
Couple of hundred mls of Meths . . . top tip there, thanks K1W1.  :152:

Would of saved me the hassle of removing my tank when my 1050 conked out due to the couple of litres of water it had acquired under the petrol.

Offline JMc

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger800
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 01:45:49 PM »
Back to the OP,

I ride enduro bikes and have always used a "sock" filter in the filler of my tank on my efi bike as we often fill up from Jerry cans which can collect crap inside and also the bike is often covered in mud etc. when we stop for fuel when out playing on the lanes. The sock filters out the solids before they can get in the tank proper and cause blockages in the fuel pump filters and injectors. I just remove it every now and then and blast it clean with the airline.

My older Carb enduro didn't have a sock filter but did and the advantage of a float bowl on the bottom of the carb so solids would get trapped in there and could be flushed through using the drain tap on the float bowl.

Jmc.

Recent Topics