Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Triumph Tiger XCx 2015 - Upper Engine guard...  (Read 1081 times)

Offline buddy13

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger
Triumph Tiger XCx 2015 - Upper Engine guard...
« on: January 09, 2019, 02:21:37 PM »
First of all, thanks to all your enabling...here is my baby :) - https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,25509.0.html

What upper engine/fairing guards exist that would accompany the standard lower Engine guards on my bike?

I would like to protect my fairings and upper part of the front in case of a tip over. I have found a unit from Heed, but this is one unit, which also replaces the standard lower unit, which is a shame. Also, its quite costly.

I have seen a picture somwehere, of an XCx with standard lower guard and an additional top guard, but can't find a source/brand. Source able to ship to EU would be a great plus :). Thanks in advance!

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline StretchToo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XC 2013
Re: Triumph Tiger XCx 2015 - Upper Engine guard...
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 11:21:14 AM »
I've ordered the fehling uppers to go with triumph lowers, someone somewhere said they fit. If you hang on I'll update when they arrive. Courier currently fehling to deliver. It may be sometime yet.

Offline JamesEaton

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCA
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 03:20:00 PM »
Someone fitted them onto his 15MY model recently. It's back on the "What You Did to Your Tiger Today" thread from a few months back. So they definitely fit.

I'll be getting them for mine in the next month or two too.

Offline buddy13

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 03:43:20 PM »
I am looking at Heed. They have two models, the Bunker, which is one complete unit and the seperate upper only unit (dont know the name). Am not decided yet, but seeing that they are almost the same price tempts me to go for the complete unit and keep the lower originals in storage!

I am referring to these:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/173731791848?ViewItem=&item=173731791848

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/ENGINE-GUAR...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Offline troop

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2016 800 XCXR
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 01:45:12 PM »
I have the Triumph accessory upper guards installed on my 2016 XCx. The Triumph accessory catalog list these as 2018 but they fit the 2015-2017 XCx just fine.

Offline Freddy2331

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XCA
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 07:03:49 AM »
As above. Ive fitted on my 2018 but they are exactly the same bar and fixing points on the 2015. Look good. Reasonably priced ( even here in Thailand) and match perfectly with the engine bars.

I like the 2 piece set up as apposed to the single options covering both. I think the6 look nicer but also if damaged cheaper to replace just the affected part.
😀😀😀

Offline StretchToo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XC 2013
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 02:22:55 PM »
So I finally got around to fitting the fehling upper bars to my 2013 XC, and I'm not entirely happy with the experience and result. YMMV.

Pros:

These are A Really Good Idea - I like using the existing lowers with a separate upper. It seems like a neat shortcut to protecting the entire sides of the bike.
40 quid cheaper than buying a full set of anything else.
No need to get into selling other bits off to fund the full set.
Nice finish and feel really solid.
Look good on the bike.

Cons:
1. They packed the wrong year's instructions with the kit so I returned it thinking it was the wrong kit. This is a basic QA failing. The result was the package eventually arrived well after the xmas hols when I had time to fit it. So here we are nearly in May.
2. The instructions are absolute sh*t. They aren't only a bad English translation, they're the same in German. There aren't enough pictures of what you're trying to achieve, the orientation of parts in diagrams etc. etc. In particular you need to release the radiator to get on the nut at the back of the front engine mounting bolts and they don't mention this. They don't mention it's a nut.
3. One of the brackets was drilled wrong and I had to slot the hole to get it on. But because the instructions are so poor I had it on and off in different orientations twice before I knew what was going on. Fitting the right hand side took 5 hours by the end of it. The left had side had already taken about 2 - partly because I didn't realise just how much of the bike you have to dismantle to get them on. I accepted that as a cost of first big job on the bike, but even armed with this knowledge the RHS took far too long because the part was wrong.
4. The kit replaces the front engine bolts new nuts and bolts with a standard metric thread. These don't match the rear thread. If at any point in the future someone takes the engine bolts out and puts the wrong one in the rear it will knacker the cylinder head. Again, a basic QA failing - a part intended to protect the bike shouldn't introduce a whole new failure mode to the maintenance of that machine, especially one that is so likely to happen. The original bolts are matched for a reason, this is just terrible engineering, I work in reliability and 20% of failures on industrial plants are due to maintenance.

So overall, they're on now, at long last, and they look good and solid. I'll keep them, but I'm going to source the correct bolts for the front and replace them, which will put a dent in the 40 saving.

Would I recommend them? No. I sincerely wish I'd bought the Heed one piece set.
Would I recommend fehling parts? Not with the apparent lack of basic engineering knowledge I've found in these. These are like a pre-production prototype, about 80% of the way to a finished product. It would have taken very little effort to finish the job properly, but apparently they don't know this.

If anyone wants pics because they're stuck fitting their own I can post some.

Offline johny5

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: tiger 800 xcx
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 09:35:42 PM »
I have hepco and Becker tank bars on my 15 xcx

Recent Topics