Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Let the farkling begin :)...  (Read 1032 times)

Offline buddy13

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger
Let the farkling begin :)...
« on: January 10, 2019, 11:15:23 AM »
Following delivery of my much beloved 2015 XCx just a few days ago, I am already finding myself browsing e-**y for farkles that will increase functionality (& make her look even better  :001:)

What have you? It would be really nice to see what other riders have! This is my baby as of today...

I have these in mind, no particular order, with some ideas in brackets:

- Mobile phone holder Mount Water resistant (no idea)
- Bar risers (no idea)
- Shorty levers (no idea)
- Tank/Upper Guard (Heed or Triumph)
- Tank protector (Motografix etc)
- Tank bag (Triumph or Givi)
- Big foot side stand (no idea)
- Rigid hand guards (Barkbusters? - quite pricey!)
- Side panniers - Soft bags (no idea)

This will not be a cheap journey  :138:

Offline Frubpato

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Re: Let the farkling begin :)...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 11:26:30 AM »
Hi  - exactly the same as mine  -  i put SW Motech 25mm riser blocks on but probably should have gone the Roxy 500mm route as it would be nice to have the bars a bit closer to me . I still cant believe how much easier cruise control makes motorway work  - CC on a bike eh! who would have thought

Offline tcbandituk

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 XRt
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 11:38:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by Frubpato [+]
should have gone the Roxy 500mm route as it would be nice to have the bars a bit closer to me .

500mm?  Did you put ape hangars on  :114: :001:
2015 Bonneville Speedchurch
2018 Speed Triple RS
2018 Tiger 800 XRt

TC Drag Bike

Offline buddy13

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 02:07:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Frubpato [+]
Hi  - exactly the same as mine  -  i put SW Motech 25mm riser blocks on but probably should have gone the Roxy 500mm route as it would be nice to have the bars a bit closer to me . I still cant believe how much easier cruise control makes motorway work  - CC on a bike eh! who would have thought

25mm? I have seen the 20mm SW Motech, but not the 25mm. I'd take them off you for a good price, if you want to try the 50mm  :002:

Offline JamesEaton

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCA
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 03:12:05 PM »
Phone Holder - I'd recommend UltimateAddons https://ultimateaddons.com/

I'll be getting Barkbusters for replacement handguards soon. The stock ones are just plastic so there's no crash protection for your levers. They'll be worth the investment.

For soft luggage. I've started collecting Krieger luggage. It's modular so you can chop and change and build up your luggage to suit your trip.

Offline Alunr

• Tiger Master
  • Alun
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 04:00:42 PM »
I had a foot on my side stand. But I didn't like the way it exacerbated the already over upright stance of the Tiger. So I mounted a puck on a home made bracket just under my left cheek.

If I stop on shaky ground, I can just reach down, unclip it, drop it down and shuffle it under the stand with my foot.

As it has a small coil of chord on it I can lift it after getting back on, recoil the chord and clip it back on to the bracket.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 04:02:16 PM by Alunr »
You're never too old to have a happy childhood :-)

Past Bikes: Panther 600, BSA Bantam, Lambretta TV 175, Lambretta GT200, AJS 125, Suzuki Gladius, Honda NT700. Present: Triumph Tiger 800 ABS

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 07:19:07 AM »
A word of warning before you go adding all sorts of bits and pieces :260:

I bought my Tiger partly because it wasn't that heavy when compared to a Tex GSA etc, much easier to move around and ride. I went down the route of adding all these "farkles" and decided one day the bike was beginning to feel heavy and ponderous.

So I decided to strip all the bits off from the big heavy panniers & frames, to engine bars & top box, to all the little things like bar risers, Big Foot pad and extra tools. Each item was weighed when removed and the total of all this added weight over 35kg  :005: :005: :005:

Having removed all the bits from my bike I couldn't believe how different it felt, much more nimble and much easier to move around, you don't really think about these things when bolting on the latest must have accessory, and you don't notice the extra weight as it all goes on bit by bit week by week, but believe me at the end of the day you can add a significant amount of weight without realising it.

Now some items you may decide are worth having, a centre stand for example is very useful but read reviews on huggers and you'll find their not that good.

The moral of all this - Every item you bolt on bits it adds weight, and if you're not careful you'll end up with an overweight elephant like I did  :138:

Offline buddy13

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 02:30:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by JamesEaton [+]
Phone Holder - I'd recommend UltimateAddons https://ultimateaddons.com/

I'll be getting Barkbusters for replacement handguards soon. The stock ones are just plastic so there's no crash protection for your levers. They'll be worth the investment.

For soft luggage. I've started collecting Krieger luggage. It's modular so you can chop and change and build up your luggage to suit your trip.

Great link thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. Products look well built and good to see they come reccomended :)

Unless I'm wrong...I should go for the M10 - 10mm bolt size option for the Tiger right? Sorry for being a copycat :)

I suppose you mean Kriega. I have seen their lugage and as you say, it's extremely versatile and certainly on my radar. Giant Loop are also very nice, but perhaps harder to get inside EU.

PS: Couldn't help but look at those Heated seat buttons and feel jealous for you  :001:...must feel so nice! Oh well...at least we have a short winter  :031:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 02:39:14 PM by buddy13 »

Offline buddy13

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 02:31:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Alunr [+]
I had a foot on my side stand. But I didn't like the way it exacerbated the already over upright stance of the Tiger. So I mounted a puck on a home made bracket just under my left cheek.

If I stop on shaky ground, I can just reach down, unclip it, drop it down and shuffle it under the stand with my foot.

As it has a small coil of chord on it I can lift it after getting back on, recoil the chord and clip it back on to the bracket.

Great idea and I love seeing DIY stuff! Great idea for not much money & effort.

Offline buddy13

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 02:36:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by sezian [+]
A word of warning before you go adding all sorts of bits and pieces :260:

I bought my Tiger partly because it wasn't that heavy when compared to a Tex GSA etc, much easier to move around and ride. I went down the route of adding all these "farkles" and decided one day the bike was beginning to feel heavy and ponderous.

So I decided to strip all the bits off from the big heavy panniers & frames, to engine bars & top box, to all the little things like bar risers, Big Foot pad and extra tools. Each item was weighed when removed and the total of all this added weight over 35kg  :005: :005: :005:

Having removed all the bits from my bike I couldn't believe how different it felt, much more nimble and much easier to move around, you don't really think about these things when bolting on the latest must have accessory, and you don't notice the extra weight as it all goes on bit by bit week by week, but believe me at the end of the day you can add a significant amount of weight without realising it.

Now some items you may decide are worth having, a centre stand for example is very useful but read reviews on huggers and you'll find their not that good.

The moral of all this - Every item you bolt on bits it adds weight, and if you're not careful you'll end up with an overweight elephant like I did  :138:

So very true, and the reason I will specifically look for Soft luggage.

I did not go for a 1000 or 1200cc bike, not for purchase and running cost reasons alone, but more so for weight and bulk considerations. I love how the Tiger feels as is and have no plans to turn it into an overweight monster with all sorts of things attached to it  :002:

Each and every piece of equipment fitted must have a function (which I need!) or else it wont be strapped on  :031:

Recent Topics