Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Best cleaner/protector  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Willgiles

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCX 19
Best cleaner/protector
« on: January 17, 2019, 12:40:13 PM »
Hi all,

Just wondering what everyone recommends for cleaning and protecting the bike for winter riding and all the lovely road grime that goes with that.

Also what would you say is the best bet for chain lube/wax?

Thanks

Will
Other bikes, Z750, CRF250Rally, Honda Varadero, ER6F

Online Pizzarepairman

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRX
Re: Best cleaner/protector
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 12:48:03 PM »
XCP

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 12:50:42 PM »
Wash it with warm/hot soapy water, rinse, they spray with warmed up ACF50 - NOT THE BRAKES.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline Alunr

• Tiger Master
  • Alun
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 01:29:07 PM »
Best stuff I've found is Moto Protect from AMS Motorcycles Ltd. Brings a lovely sheen to plastic parts and works lovely on engine, wheels and frame etc. Doesn't need much to do the job so is quite economical at 12.50 a can. Obviously you need to avoid brake parts. For the seats I use Renapur rennovating wax. This removes minor marks and makes rain bead up and swipe off easily. I use my bike all year round. Its six years old and I get many comments about how new it looks.
Give a man a fish and he'll demand chips, a six pack of stella, 20 fags and a scratch card to go with it. Make him do some work for his fish. He'll aporeciate it more.

Offline grunty-motor

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XCA

Online walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 08:51:30 PM »
its not so much what you use to clean it, its being thorough that makes the difference imo, i do whole bike with Armour All before winter, then just use washnwax, then a spring clean and another coat of Armour all after winter, and thats it... then just soapy water or washnwax rest of year

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Armor-All-Shield-Wax-Even-Better-Than-Wax-Armorall-For-Cars-Boats-Etc-500ml/153341857908?epid=1428388118&hash=item23b3e31074:g:mZgAAOSwo1lcP0PJ:rk:22:pf:0

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 08:54:48 PM by walt »

Offline mym

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 11:26:09 AM »
is it better to use a bucket of hot soapy water and get into the nooks and crannies that you can, or is a power washer with a snowfoam gun going to be better, in order to blast the much and salt off?

never sure whats best to use.

thanks

Online walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 12:32:50 PM »
even after pressure wash and foam you still need to get in and clean thoroughly, I usually only use pressure wash to get the thick dirt and salt off in winter, then use a bucket and sponge, Fairy liquid is as good as anything ive ever used, detailers use it for a good clean

Offline mym

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 01:19:25 PM »
i'd be doubtfull most detailers would ever go near fairy liquid, a decent car shampoo yes.

As far as i am aware, Fairy liquid and stuff has salts and other things that dont play nice with cars/bikes

Online walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 01:30:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by mym [+]
i'd be doubtfull most detailers would ever go near fairy liquid, a decent car shampoo yes.

As far as i am aware, Fairy liquid and stuff has salts and other things that dont play nice with cars/bikes

I was waiting for that one. :015:...theres a million views on it , I know detailers who use it to bottom out the grime etc, shampoo won't do that, used a couple of times a year it gets to the bottom of everything, then you need to treat with wax or armour all or whatever you choose..... in my own experience ive been using it for 45 years and havn't had my bikes deteriorate in any way... :002:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 01:32:24 PM by walt »

Recent Topics