Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Best cleaner/protector  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Best cleaner/protector
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 01:45:58 PM »
I wouldn't use a pressure wash on my bikes or cars. Invalidates warranty on some makes. Car shampoo & hose pipe.

I also use Motorex Moto protect, have done for 25 years, it used to be called "Protect & shine 365" & was recommended by triumph in early 90's. Aldi were selling a muc-off labelled Protect & shine for 3.99, tried it, seems ok.

I tried Muc-off cleaner for first time recently on my filthy off roader, it does what it says, gets the crud out. That was also 3,99 in Aldi for the genuine stuff 0.75L. They have some good stuff on occasion, it's a case of get it while it's in.

If you use your bike through winter, best lightly smothered in ACF50 as Kildare said. Keep that salt out.

Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline grunty-motor

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XCA
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 09:32:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by walt [+]

I was waiting for that one. :015:...theres a million views on it , I know detailers who use it to bottom out the grime etc, shampoo won't do that, used a couple of times a year it gets to the bottom of everything, then you need to treat with wax or armour all or whatever you choose..... in my own experience ive been using it for 45 years and havn't had my bikes deteriorate in any way... :002:

agree - like you say it is fine for "cleaning", but will strip wax off and so that needs re-done and so not good for "washing" a car. 

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 10:03:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
I wouldn't use a pressure wash on my bikes or cars. Invalidates warranty on some makes.

Do you have a written warranty document that shows that or is it urban myth? EVERY car and motorcycle dealership I have ever worked in has used a pressure washer to clean and detail vehicles. Your brand new motorcycle may well have been washed with a pressure washer before you took delivery of it.
There is nothing at all wrong with a pressure washer as long as you do not do stupid things like put the nozzle directly against bearings or the chain links. Human stupidity is the only reason not to use one.
Here in Victoria during the millenium drought at the turn of this century it was actually illegal to wash a vehicle with anything except a pressure washer (or a single bucket of water only) as pressure washers use way less water than ordinary hoses.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 10:40:30 PM »
You can do as you please, I certainly won't be pointing a 1,500 - 3,000psi jet of water at my bike. I've seen the state of rad & oil cooler fins that have had this treatment at dealers. Never mind the damage it could cause to electrics.

BMW mechanic told me it invalidated the warranty if they suspected damage had been caused by a pressure washer. I'm sure that must have been BS though.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 11:33:57 PM »
I've seen the state of rad & oil cooler fins that have had this treatment at dealers.

That is what I said. Human stupidity.
Hold the nozzle 3 feet back from the surface that you are aiming at and the water pressure when it hits the surface is less intense than a hose with a jet nozzle. Get somebody to aim a pressure washer at your hand from three feet away and you hardly feel any pressure. The 1500psi only lasts for inches from the end of the nozzle. As far as electrics are concerned using less water from a pressure water is probably better than the massive concentrated soaking jet that comes from a hose - again when used with common sense.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 09:32:36 AM »
And, headstock, suspension linkage, wheel bearings, brake callipers. Each to their own, imo not recommended. Something I associate with dealer apprentices giving the bikes a blasting.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 11:42:23 AM »
And, headstock, suspension linkage, wheel bearings, brake callipers. Each to their own, imo not recommended. Something I associate with dealer apprentices giving the bikes a blasting.

For the third time. Human Stupidity.
Why is it that people assume that because you have a pressure washer you hold the nozzle 6" from everything? Only stupid people do that so I guess that means all those naysayers can't trust themselves.
You only use the pressure part in places like under the guards or the wheel rims or under the engine guard. The rest of the time you stand back a little and the vehicle receives a much more gentle spray than any hose will ever supply.

Online walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 01:06:22 PM »
my pressure washer only delivers 60 psi, but I still keep it on a fairly fine spray, and mostly only do the grotty lower down bits, I keep it away from the handlebar/headlight/seat area, I test it on my boot, if it feels gentle that's fine.....but a pressure washer is great for getting all the loose dirt/crap/salt off before you get stuck in with bucket and sponge

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 01:58:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by walt [+]
my pressure washer only delivers 60 psi, but I still keep it on a fairly fine spray, and mostly only do the grotty lower down bits, I keep it away from the handlebar/headlight/seat area, I test it on my boot, if it feels gentle that's fine.....but a pressure washer is great for getting all the loose dirt/crap/salt off before you get stuck in with bucket and sponge

I see no problem with 60 psi, I get 45 psi (3 Bar) out of the tap. Never had a bike get that filthy I can't hose it off, even my traillie that comes home caked in crud. I used to use the garage jetwash on that until I found water inside a cover. If our oil pressure was 1,500psi as some pressure washers, the oil would pee out everywhere, logic says that pressure could then get in.  :164: Good on here innit.  :008:

Online walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2019, 04:54:13 PM »
I see no problem with 60 psi, I get 45 psi (3 Bar) out of the tap. Never had a bike get that filthy I can't hose it off, even my traillie that comes home caked in crud. I used to use the garage jetwash on that until I found water inside a cover. If our oil pressure was 1,500psi as some pressure washers, the oil would pee out everywhere, logic says that pressure could then get in.  :164: Good on here innit.  :008:

:038:

Karcher do washers with adjustable pressure, but it would be nice to see a small bike specific one, only needs about 3-400 watts, 500 psi max and a nice small short lance to get underneath motor, I just like the way they get in all the nooks and crannies so well, I don't obsess or get ocd about a shiny bike but I like it basically clean.....and the easiest way possible to do it...

Recent Topics

winded-staunch