Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: First Touring trip - High Peak to Lake Garda (and back :) )  (Read 2053 times)

Offline kempy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: MK1 800XC 2010
First Touring trip - High Peak to Lake Garda (and back :) )
« on: January 18, 2019, 10:41:16 AM »
Hiya peeps

I'm taking my first trip abroad on a bike in mid July this year and am really looking forward to it! (to say the least  :046: )

I've used Tomtom Rider to plot my route and booked the ferry & hotels already.

My intended route is in the picture below and has overnight stops in:

Lille (FR)
Vianden (LX)
Baden-Baden (GER)
Arosa (SWZ)
Sirmione (IT)
Valbella (SWZ)
Obernai (FR)
Anhee (Bel)
Ghent (Bel)

My typical day covers about 250 miles/6 hours according to tomtom set to scenic route and avoiding toll roads.

I'm hoping you chaps can offer general advice and help for a touring virgin like me  :007: :017:

For example, I am travelling through the alps/switzerland mid July, will I need to take my jacket & pants liners? ie. will it be OK to travel through and still keep my nuts as i'd rather leave them at home as I hope it's gonna be hot when I get to my destination od Lake Garda. 

I've been reading up online for tips etc and any help you can give would be great  :028:

Cheers  :031:

Paul 

Offline walt

• Tiger Pro
Re: First Touring trip - High Peak to Lake Garda (and back :) )
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 01:10:38 PM »
I do a similar route down to Basel a few times every year to visit friends there,
its hard to give advice without swamping you with details, but heres a few of my observations, its best to just go and do it... :028:

https://goo.gl/maps/xjiiRgc9uHt

ive done it in Dec/Jan and not been cold in a decent textile suit, crossing the Alps shouldn't be too cold if you are not aiming to do high passes, M/ways tend to follow lower valleys, in July an extra fleece should do if you get to any altitude, unless you are particularly wanting to visit Arosa, you could just stay on the E35 from Lucerne to Milan, (from Lucerne onward is spectacular road)

South of Strasbourg the French side of the Rhine is more interesting (even on M/ways) German side is very fast, set your cruise control at 120 mph and keep out of the way of faster traffic... :015: :018:, tolls on French M/ways about 4 euro's for 100km iirc,

your route is pretty straightforward, good for a 1st time ride, although Brussels is big....the ring road is busy and a bit of a buzz, but nothing to worry about....after an hour on the m/ways you'll be pretty much used to being on the other side of the road, just stay aware when on other roads, but its surprising how soon you get used to it, not many roundabouts in Germany, their m/way junctions are odd at 1st, but you soon get used to them

to stay legal in France/Germany you need
original Vehicle docs and driving licence
hi viz bib,
1st aid kit
spare bulbs

up to you whether you take them or not, for me its 20 well spent, they do for many more trips

i use these for medical ins, bikes over 350cc are covered, some ins companies don't do over 350cc  https://www.holidaysafe.co.uk/

heres a little ride report when I was in Basel Aug last year
, whet your appetite   :002: I have a Tiger now and did same route in Dec and it was fine...

https://www.versys.co.uk/index.php/topic,24165.0.html

i'm sure you'll love it,  :028: :028:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:18:49 PM by walt »

Offline kempy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: MK1 800XC 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 01:37:53 PM »
Cheers for taking the time Walt, much appreciated  :028:

The google maps screen grab is not my actual route but was easy to throw the destinations into to get a quick image. The actual route pic from Tomtom is here:-

Thanks for the advice & links, I'll leave the jacket & pants inner liners at home and layer up with a fleece etc if it gets interesting in the hills!

I took a look at some on-line stuff/advice already, been on a spending spree and think i've got the legally required stuff already such as high viz for me and the small footed one, GB sticker for reg plate, breathalyzers, helmet stickers (on my lovely new helmet FFS!)  first aid kit, spare bulbs etc.

Had Triumph adventure panniers a Givi 52L top box fitted, got a Givi Tankbag/rucksack - so hoping I'll get all my shizzle in there for the 2 weeks.

I'm looking forward to taking a look at your ride report.

Thanks again,

all the best    :031:

Offline walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 01:53:46 PM »
thanks,

I got the helmet stickers too, although I have to say in 30,000 mls of riding in EU ive never been stopped by police, just once by customs/Douanne in France

yeah, I pick a main route then just meander off it when I feel like it, then get back on around teatime and head for hotel...

mostly in summer in Europe I just wear textile jacket with no liner and bike jeans and summer boots, with a cheap pvc waterproof to go over if it rains, extra fleece if it gets chilly, for 1 week on my own I use 35lt tail bag and top box

the road down to Konstanz from Ulm is a good one,  its part of the Romantic route  https://www.romanticroadgermany.com/

huge wide open spaces, Germany is huge...lol,
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:58:34 PM by walt »

Online steve@lincs

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 07:44:16 PM »
Good luck with your trip Kempsy.  As you'll know you have to pay tolls in France and Italy to use the motorways, but I havent seen anyone advising you that you need to get a Swiss vignette before using motorways these can be bought  at the border for about 35.  You only need it if youre on a motorway or other specific roads, but if you "stray" into Switzerland ( like I did last July) the stress of trying to keep off dual carriageways was not worth the cost...or fine if caught).
Btw, crossing some of the higher passes in July in late afternoon evening was pretty chilly, but waterproofs add an extra layer!

Too many good things to see to suggest them all, but if you are going down lake Como way I would definately recommend a visit to the Guzzi factory and museum    (http://www.motoguzzi.com/it_IT/tradizione/Museo/)

Offline walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 08:23:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by steve@lincs [+]
Good luck with your trip Kempsy.  As you'll know you have to pay tolls in France and Italy to use the motorways, but I havent seen anyone advising you that you need to get a Swiss vignette before using motorways these can be bought  at the border for about 35.  You only need it if youre on a motorway or other specific roads, but if you "stray" into Switzerland ( like I did last July) the stress of trying to keep off dual carriageways was not worth the cost...or fine if caught).
Btw, crossing some of the higher passes in July in late afternoon evening was pretty chilly, but waterproofs add an extra layer!

Too many good things to see to suggest them all, but if you are going down lake Como way I would definately recommend a visit to the Guzzi factory and museum    (http://www.motoguzzi.com/it_IT/tradizione/Museo/)

yeah, I forgot about the vingnette. :430:

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 09:22:03 PM »
It's much, much easier and straight forward than you think, no really, it is.
Just get on the road and play it by ear, you'll be fine and enjoy it a whole lot more than trying to over think or plan it.

The adventure happens when the unexpected happens

Have fun
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 10:36:07 PM »
I'm always envious of you guys in Europe being so easily able to travel such relatively small distances but see so much in the way of different scenery, cultures and roads. Enjoy the trip.

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 08:06:42 PM »
I leave liners at home. I take hiking clothes, all quick dry minimal bulk. If it's cold over the passes I wear the lightweight fleece & pants under my textiles.

Never seen the locals with helmet stickers, they don't carry breathalysers, they say it was talked about but not made compulsory. I don't bother with either. I do carry all the other stuff mentioned by Walt.

The M'way thro' Belgium/Lux isn't toll, good way to get thro' it & somewhere nice quickly
The rest of your route can be done without using toll roads, no need to buy a Vignette.

A good route from Baden-Baden is down the 500 past Titisee to Waldshut, it's a great fast road with lovely sweeping bends, the Germans favourite biker road. Plenty of caff stops.

Sirmione & the area around it is very busy, picturesque town ideal for ferries to other resorts around the lake.

Sounds a good trip, I'm sure you'll both enjoy it.

Edit: I carry some emergency kit eg Cable inners & puncture repair.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 08:08:41 PM by Paulhere »
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 02:14:26 AM »
I plotted an almost identical route recently with the intention of visiting as many countries as possible, for both me and Mrs Zero. I have no idea of when I'll do it though, or whether I'd be better off with an Irish passport than a UK one when I do.

Currently you can use the EHIC (IIRC) so you can get medical treatment if necessary. Your driving licence is also currently valid in the EU, and insurance will probably cover you (you may need to notify your insurance company). Depending on what happens at the end of March, you may need some other means of obtaining medical assistance, a driving permit of some description, and extra insurance, but at least you can have a blue passport.
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900

Recent Topics

winded-staunch