Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: First Touring trip - High Peak to Lake Garda (and back :) )  (Read 1322 times)

Offline coddy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
Re: First Touring trip - High Peak to Lake Garda (and back :) )
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 09:16:28 AM »
Sounds like a fun trip. The only thing I will add is although you will no doubt make plenty of refreshment stops its important to stay hydrated especially in the summer months as dehydration will affect concentration, therefore I always keep a bottle of water or two in my top box and refill it every morning in the hotel.

Offline craggsy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XC800
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 05:37:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by coddy [+]
Sounds like a fun trip. The only thing I will add is although you will no doubt make plenty of refreshment stops its important to stay hydrated especially in the summer months as dehydration will affect concentration, therefore I always keep a bottle of water or two in my top box and refill it every morning in the hotel.
Absolutely seconded. Ive been on the receiving end of heat and not drinking enough. I wanted to get there, but once I did I was Ill for two days.

Offline craggsy

• Tiger Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 05:50:02 PM »
You will be pretty close to this place
http://www.motor-bike-hotels.com/motorcycle-hotels-europe/motorcycle-hotels-switzerland/switzerland-hotels-motorcycle-muensterhof.html

A typical Swiss quiet town with a few cow moos every now and then. I stayed for 1 night on route from Stevio Pass, which is also close to your route.

Personally, the Pass is stunning, but I did not rate it as a biker route. I prefer sweepies rather than ott hairpins.

Sorry the link did not work, but the site is for biker hotels over there. Search for biker HOTEL MNSTERHOF ***
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 05:53:48 PM by craggsy »

Offline tripletour

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: zx6r rd250 T800
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 07:25:04 PM »
I too have rode the Stelvio and would give it a miss, especially 2 up. The constant hairpins are a pain in the posterier. Also I tried to ride through Switzerland without going on the motorways but progress was that slow through the towns that we changed our route and paid the fee. I think you will be more concerned about keeping cool than warm when you are going to Italy but its great riding around the lakes. Enjoy

Offline craggsy

• Tiger Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 08:51:03 PM »
Agree with Switzerland that the route through is important. Zurich traffic was a nightmare and the direct route to Italy went through so many tunnels I didnt see much of the countryside.
But, Mustair was a great place once there.
Have a good trip.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 12:10:43 PM »
I've just plotted the OP's toll free route thro' Switzerland looks good imo, well planned, away from the Cities and the busy passes.

A few days around Lake Garda is great, if considering a circular, the east side is open, the west side has a lot of unlit tunnels, very busy all round, more relaxing to use the ferries.

Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline kempy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC 2010
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 02:14:00 PM »
Overwhelmed here! .... Thanks for your input everyone!   :031:  :028:

Really looking forward to the trip and have probably obsessed/overplanned it but really appreciate your tips and advice

Cheers

Paul  :031:

Offline grizzlybear

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2019, 03:51:29 PM »
I have stopped in two hotels next to Lake Garda,  both which offer secure garages for parking bikes.  Let me know if you want the info

Safe Riding
Dave
Safe Riding
Dave( Grizzlybear) honda 125T,  Z650C2, GPZ750, GTR1000, VX800, VN1500 ,tiger800 and loads of C90`s  :)

Online Derchef1962

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White 800 Roadie
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 01:08:15 PM »
just my two cents: Why don't you do the return trip via Brenner pass and then through Austria, hop into Germany from there? Once in Germany you could go on https://www.deutsche-alpenstrasse.de/en/home almost up to Lake Constance and then dash into the Black Forest.someone already mentioned the B500 through the Black Forest way more fun.

Try to avoid Motorways here in Germany most of them are totally packed throughout the day with road works, traffic jams etc.

I am doing at least three trips a year from 1,000 to 3,500 kms each, I almost never use Motorways in Germany, Austria, France or the UK. The big exception here is Belgium and the Netherlands as you do not gain very much on country roads: they are as straight as the motorway and every now and then you have to cross a village or a town wich does cost a lot of time. I almost never pre-book accomodation: I am using booking.com or some other websites to find accomodation on the very day I need it. That gives me the freedom to change the route.
Live is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 02:02:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Derchef1962 [+]
just my two cents:.

:084: .... two pfennig surely ....  :001:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch