Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hello from Manchester  (Read 904 times)

Offline kempy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: MK1 800XC 2010
Re: Hello from Manchester
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2019, 11:26:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
Hi Jacko  :401:  :031:

A lot of the Peak District trails have been downgraded over the past 20 years, thanks to the ramblers who haven't got enough footpaths. There was plenty back in the 80's, could go out for 150 mile day. Mostly riding between trails, mind.

Dunno if I'd ride them on a 220kg T800 though. You could try some easy ones & see how it goes. eg Houndkirk moor, back of the Barrel Inn at Bretton, then onto Sir William Hill road. There are a few short nadgery trails around Eyam/Stoney Middleton.

Take a look at this link, like it says, "solid blue line: = byway open to all traffic". BOAT's. It's legal to use them as long as your bike is fully road legal.

http://www.rowmaps.com/showmap.php?place=Buxton&map=OS&lat=53.2552&lon=1.91515&lonew=W

:0461: With Paulhere on this 

Before getting my Tiger I regularly rode the lanes in the Peaks on an Enduro type bike (GasGAs EC300) , a typical days out/loop:-

Marple bridge - Donkey track
Mellor cross
New Mills golf club
Disley
Whaley
Ladder Hill (Coombs)
Wythen Lache
Whitehall
Buxton Roman road
3 Shires
Cumberland Cottage
Wildboarclough river
Hield End Farm
Burntcliffe top
Flash
Tenterhills
Hollinsclough
Earl Sterndale
Highstool lane (midshires)
Chelmorton
Sough Lane
Priestcliffe
Monsal
Gt Longstone (Chirpit Lane)
Rowland
Calver
Stoney Middleton
Eyam
Grindleford
Houndkirk
Ringinglow
Redmires
Stannage
Bamford Clough
Ladybower
Hope Cross
Hope
Pindale
Dirtlow Rake
Oxlow House
Roych clough
Chinley
Rowath
Mellor Cross
Marple bridge

Happy days  :169:

Sadly no longer possible (legally) and I like my Tiger too much to risk damaging it. As Paulhere says, there are still a few legal and big bike friendly lanes open but will be loads of road work in between them.

Cheers

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2019, 12:24:14 PM »
Don't know if any of you off-road heroes are familiar with the track from Gradbach to the River Dane/ Black Brook on the way to Lud's Church, head up past Gradbach scout camp (SK17 0SU), instead of the YHA and bear right so you don't end up at the farm, the last section looks a lot like Paul's pic of Hollins Clough, you have to go down, through the river, turn round and back up, I don't think there's another way back  :114:

Like Stevie P, I've only ever walked down it  :008:
Now available in "Batman"

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2019, 02:37:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by kempy [+]

:0461: With Paulhere on this 

Before getting my Tiger I regularly rode the lanes in the Peaks on an Enduro type bike (GasGAs EC300) , a typical days out/loop:-

By 'eck m8, them were the days eh. When we could ride the Roych & Chapelgate non stop. Only a part of the Roych still open & Chapelgate closed now. Remember when the council tarmacked Chapelgate, that lasted a few weeks. Excelsior still there, rode that lil nadgery track recently. The Donkey track has a nasty step on the bend near the top now. Bamford Clough been closed a long time due to some electricity cable is the story, that was the favourite spot for watching the Edinburgh trial.

Were you in the TRF when we used to meet at the Robin Hood in High Lane. One of the boys from back in the 80's did the lands end trial last year, got a Bronze on his old 500 Triumph, he must be in his 70's now. I believe the weather was horrendous, many packed it in before halfway.

Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline lanerider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 xcx
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2019, 03:05:00 PM »
just ride the lanes all of em if you can get access life's to short to be pc 

Offline kempy

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2019, 03:07:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
By 'eck m8, them were the days eh. When we could ride the Roych & Chapelgate non stop. Only a part of the Roych still open & Chapelgate closed now. Remember when the council tarmacked Chapelgate, that lasted a few weeks. Excelsior still there, rode that lil nadgery track recently. The Donkey track has a nasty step on the bend near the top now. Bamford Clough been closed a long time due to some electricity cable is the story, that was the favourite spot for watching the Edinburgh trial.

Were you in the TRF when we used to meet at the Robin Hood in High Lane. One of the boys from back in the 80's did the lands end trial last year, got a Bronze on his old 500 Triumph, he must be in his 70's now. I believe the weather was horrendous, many packed it in before halfway.

Oh yes! them were the days! Was a full day out and completely knackered (but happy) by the end of it.

Yes, I believe that a great number of the lanes on my route are either permanently TRO'd or vandalised by the council's resurfacing squad. :192:   

I was in the TRF for quite a few years, (virtual trf group a.k.a muddymonkeys) although we didn't meet up in the Robin Hood. Hat's off to the old boy doing the lands end trial - top banana!  :020:

Offline kempy

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2019, 03:10:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by lanerider [+]

Yep, I totally agree bud - although back in the day I did try to stick to legal lanes wherever possible, I ended up with riding the lot  :169:

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2019, 03:23:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
Don't know if any of you off-road heroes are familiar with the track from Gradbach to the River Dane/ Black Brook on the way to Lud's Church, head up past Gradbach scout camp (SK17 0SU), instead of the YHA and bear right so you don't end up at the farm, the last section looks a lot like Paul's pic of Hollins Clough, you have to go down, through the river, turn round and back up, I don't think there's another way back  :114:

Like Stevie P, I've only ever walked down it  :008:

If you look on that link I posted up, there are no BOAT's showing in that area. Lud church rings a bell (no pun intended) though, and there is a trail that goes thro' the river near there. I rode down past Gradbach camp one day last October, looked at the trail going down on the right but I turned back, maybe it is now closed, can't think of any other reason for me to turn back. I'll check it next time I'm over that way. That area is one of my favourites for a bimble on the back lanes from Higher Disley Mudhurst lane, Pyms chair, Lamaload ressie, right at the Stanley arms to Wildboarclough, Danebridge, Tittesworth ressie, Thorncliffe, Onecote, Warslow to the Tea Junction at Hulme end for lunch.

I only do the easy trails now, my trail-riding chum came down  with cancer 3 years ago, quite bad now. Not clever to do the more technical stuff on our own in case of a tumble ending up under the bike with nobody to lift it off.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2019, 03:41:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by lanerider [+]

Yes, I agree but the Peak District is too busy with the RA, we get enough grief of them when we're on the legal trails. Ok if we didn't have number plates.

Our group had plod waiting at top of the Roych once many years ago, most scarpered but they got 3 and took them to court, all were in the club so the TRF fought the case to prove it was a legal trail.

The 4x4 lads get blamed for causing damage to the trails, they likely blame the bikes & the horses, but a coachload of townies 40 abreast cause more erosion than the lot of us put together. We always lose in the battle for trails. GLASS are busily fighting some closures now.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch