Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Mini compressor....or C02?  (Read 1144 times)

Offline planetpeckham

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 Xrx
Mini compressor....or C02?
« on: January 24, 2019, 10:43:27 AM »
Has anyone out there had any experience of a mini compressor that fits under the seat or the rear rack of their Tiger? I've seen a couple (Stop & Go and Airman) that look pretty compact but it would be nice to know if they actually fit before purchasing. I don't have any panniers or top box.
The other option of course is C02 cartridges but I kinda think a compressor is a better long term solution??
Thanks in advance for any info!

Online kempy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: MK1 800XC 2010
Re: Mini compressor....or C02?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 11:21:10 AM »

Offline samsgrandad

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 roadie
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 12:29:51 PM »
A mini compressor is going to be easier to use and you can try it at home to make sure it works before having to use it in anger.

CO2 cartridges take up less room but are not as easy to use.

Offline gordybrock

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XR 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 12:30:56 PM »
I had a spare 12v car one, the boxy looking ones you get when there is no spare tyre with the car. I stripped away all the casings and now it's tiny...works a treat and fits under the seat no problem.  :152:
I'm from Wigan Me

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 12:33:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by kempy [+]

I've got one of those also, agree, good quality. It does say keep in your hand or on the pouch in use, and only use for 2 mins at a time. it wazz's up 30 - 36psi in half a min.

Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Spider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 02:22:44 PM »
I'm not sure if you'll be able to read this article without a subscription: http://www.motorcycleconsumernews-digitalmagazine.com/mcnews/august_2017?pg=26#pg26

If not, MCN reviewed a bunch of portable bike compressors.  They like the Cycle Pump (bestrestproducts.com). I have one and it's good.
But my go-to is the MotoPumps Mini Pro (motopumps.com). Sturdy.  Good run time.  Surprisingly accurate built in pressure gauge.  And the absolute best valve connector...a screw on type that can connect cleanly on just about any valve regardless of what's in the way. I haven't tried any of the other ones, but there are some that are smaller and might fit under a seat...I don't think either of mine would.  And I'm not sure which of these might be available out your way.

I do have a little C02 kit that fits under the seat.  So which you choose probably depends on where you're going.

Good luck!

Offline Grumps

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 800 Xca
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 02:59:52 PM »
I have an Airman. Quite happy for you to try it. If you just send me a ferry ticket I'll gladly come over. I'll pay the fuel.

Seriously, I carry both. CO2 are not bulky and I carry them as back-up.
2018 Xca. BMW K1600GTL. Suzuki GT380

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 03:07:12 PM »
Airman compressor.  Have used CO2 in past and honestly you need quite a few to have the desired effect.  Much rather the compressor as you're not limited inflation wise.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline planetpeckham

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 Xrx
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 05:08:49 PM »
Thanks to all for your input, much appreciated!
I think a mini compressor is the way to go if possible.
I really want to have it stowed away on the bike at all times so the deal breaker now is which one will fit under the seat or rear rack. There's quite a bit of room under the rack if you remove the 4 bolts - a bit of a faff I know - but I'd only be using this in emergencies (I have a bigger, hobby compressor in the garage).
Looking at the ones mentioned above, the mini motopressor looks like it might be the most compact? Has anyone actually managed to store any of those mentioned in the way I have described?
Muchisimas gracias for any further info!

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 09:01:31 PM »
My airman lives under the pillion seat along with other stuff without issue.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Recent Topics

winded-staunch