Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Mini compressor....or C02?  (Read 1002 times)

Offline planetpeckham

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 Xrx
Re: Mini compressor....or C02?
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 08:49:24 PM »
Thought I'd leave a note on what I did in the end.
Hopefully this might prove useful to anyone planning a similar way to have an 'always on board' tyre repair outfit on their Tiger without any additional luggage fitted.
I initially thought the mini motopressor looked the most compact and was going to go for one of those but unfortunately they're not readily available here in Spain, so in the end, I went for the Airman Tour - 20 =good value!
Despite removing the Triumph U bolt retaining lugs I found it very difficult to get it under the seat, When I did manage to ping the seat back down there was no room for anything else, including the toolkit and my documents. It might be because I have the 2018 model USB connector under there? This hangs down a fair bit.
Anyway, I took the compressor apart (as Gordybrock suggested) and realised that I could easily remove a large part of the lower casing.
Good news is the compressor with built in air gauge, tyre plugging tool and a small pair of mole grips now all live under the rear plastic rack ready to be broken out in case of emergencies.
Here's a few pics ...

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 10:13:22 PM »
I carry both a compressor and CO2 cartridges (10 x 16oz).
The small compressors take forever to pump a rear tyre up to pressure but the cartridges put around 6psi in per cartridge so when required I use 5 or 6 cartridges to get the tyre up to around 25-30psi and then use the compressor to top it up. The cartridges are so cheap here (about 35 pence each if brought in bulk) and they last forever so I figure they are a good time saver. With 10 cartridges on board I can confidently handle two punctures without an issue.

Offline Flyfifer

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 10:41:31 PM »
 :028: planetpeckam, thanks for posting your solution. Too often threads wither without the end result being posted.
I do like tidy !

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 05:35:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
I carry both a compressor and CO2 cartridges (10 x 16oz).
The small compressors take forever to pump a rear tyre up to pressure but the cartridges put around 6psi in per cartridge so when required I use 5 or 6 cartridges to get the tyre up to around 25-30psi and then use the compressor to top it up. The cartridges are so cheap here (about 35 pence each if brought in bulk) and they last forever so I figure they are a good time saver. With 10 cartridges on board I can confidently handle two punctures without an issue.

I carry one of the large Monster air chucks and a couple of 45g bottles
For whatever reason, I don't think they're available anymore

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline gordybrock

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XR 2012
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 09:36:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by planetpeckham [+]
Thought I'd leave a note on what I did in the end.
Hopefully this might prove useful to anyone planning a similar way to have an 'always on board' tyre repair outfit on their Tiger without any additional luggage fitted.
I initially thought the mini motopressor looked the most compact and was going to go for one of those but unfortunately they're not readily available here in Spain, so in the end, I went for the Airman Tour - 20 =good value!
Despite removing the Triumph U bolt retaining lugs I found it very difficult to get it under the seat, When I did manage to ping the seat back down there was no room for anything else, including the toolkit and my documents. It might be because I have the 2018 model USB connector under there? This hangs down a fair bit.
Anyway, I took the compressor apart (as Gordybrock suggested) and realised that I could easily remove a large part of the lower casing.
Good news is the compressor with built in air gauge, tyre plugging tool and a small pair of mole grips now all live under the rear plastic rack ready to be broken out in case of emergencies.
Here's a few pics ...

Thanks again for everyone's input!

:460:  Well done, very nifty. I split mine open and discarded both halves of the casing, then for safety I used an aerosol cap to cover the gear on the compressor. I used more than enough gaffer tape to fix the cap on, so now I have a powerful tiny compressor and an on board supply of gaffer tape...that stuff always comes in handy.  :169:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 09:40:46 AM by gordybrock »
I'm from Wigan Me

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 09:39:35 AM »
eek.  Poor airman compressor!!.  Mine lives quite happily under the pillion seat.  Remove U lock mouldings.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Recent Topics