Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: xc or xr for taller rider  (Read 1241 times)

Offline agumdoo

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: bmw 1200gs lt
xc or xr for taller rider
« on: January 24, 2019, 08:18:48 PM »
I am looking at getting a Tiger 800 2018.
I do no real off road riding but like the xc because of the extra height. A few years ago I had bmw 800 gs and found the front wheel a bit vague and never felt happy with it. I wondered what the xc is like on road. I know I can test drive but if the weather is crap (I am In Scotland) it's hard to know what it is like if you are worrying about dropping a dealers brand new bike.
Thanks Eric

Offline grunty-motor

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XCA
Re: xc or xr for taller rider
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 08:55:46 PM »
i tested a 2018 XCA and a 2018 GS850 each for 24hours.

BM is sportier, faster and handles better. Triumph is smoother (i suffer from white finger, so this was important), more "together" and i felt i could ride it and waft along more. Tiger is a tad more vague on the front as you fear. But it will still easily drag the pegs.  I went Tiger in the end only cause i got a better deal.

But if you are worried about it, its probably the wrong bike. I never tested a XR because i liked the off road styling.

Offline RaglandT

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC / 1200XRT
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 10:36:55 PM »
XC and XR both have the same frame geometry so the riding  position and comfort will be the same - The extra height of XC will only come into play for ground clearance and  If you aren't planning extensive off-road riding  that won't matter to you , stick to the better road bike of the two - the XR with 19" front wheel and tubeless tires ...

Offline Monterey10

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRT
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 06:29:59 AM »
 I highly recommend test riding them.   Went XRT . 100% roady.  Wanted the tubeless rims and road tires. Got a better deal on the XRT mid winter in a driving rain storm.

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 800
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 08:57:45 AM »
As the last two replies have said, the choice of tyres and tubeless rims are the real issue for me. The Xc has longer travel suspension but the new Xr has pretty good suspension compared to previous models.
And yes, I have a new XrX model and love it..

Offline troop

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2016 800 XCxR
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 01:40:26 PM »
I'm 190cm tall with a 91cm inseam and went with a XCx. But, to make it a nicer street bike, I swapped out the wheels to roadie wheels.

Offline Phones

• Tiger Member
  • Old age don't stop you riding it just hurts
  • Bike: Black 800xc
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 05:33:07 PM »
You have long legs like me, I got some SW MOTECH Adjustable foot pegs you can lower them 15mm made all the difference in comfort for me.

Offline Monterey10

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRT
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 06:10:21 PM »
I'm the opposite,  all my length is in my torso.  Setting the seat for low has helped.  Will eventually need the ? Madstad tall shield ...

Offline Earl

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xc
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 01:32:33 PM »
Im 6ft 4 and have the mk1 xc fits me perfect and good sprouts comfort

Dont worry about the wheel size I find mine very compliant on all types of roads

The only issue is the tubes over tubeless

Online planetpeckham

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 Xrx
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 08:17:53 PM »
I'm 6' 4" too.
FWIW, I've fitted my 2018 Xrx with the taller handlebar 'turrets' (as they call them in Spain) off the Xc model and this has improved riding comfort for me.
Now just need to find a way to extend the screen a tiny bit and I'm golden!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch