Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Managed to drop it.... Replacement brake lever?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline laughing_mole

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XCx
Managed to drop it.... Replacement brake lever?
« on: January 28, 2019, 03:12:49 PM »
At walking pace, paddling backwards to park the bike, rear wheel hit a a large bump and she was gone... :172: :172: :172: Fell onto the right side and luckily the engine bars took most of the damage with a light scrape. Only other damage was on the right bar - the handguard flexed and allowed the brake lever to snap at the end.... Some barkbusters soon I think.... Otherwise the Tiger falls well!

So need a new lever for a 2015 XCX - seem to be lots of chinese ones on ebay at low price - are they good enough? Recommendations?

Offline tripletour

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: zx6r rd250 T800
Re: Managed to drop it.... Replacement brake lever?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 04:03:13 PM »
I dont have any experiance with 3rd party levers but would you really trust a cheap untested lever with 80% of your braking?

Triumph will have a specific set of quality control requirements for such a critical safety part. I doubt others manufacturers do.

I would never compromise on braking to save a few quid. Each to their own though.

Offline laughing_mole

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XCx
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 04:10:40 PM »
Thanks tripletour - I know where you're coming from. At the end of the day it's a simple casting, so was interested if others had any experience of 3rd party levers. My default is of course to go to triumph.

Offline T-Rever

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 05:56:09 PM »
Got a 'third party'clutch lever on my 2012 Roadie, cheap as chips, been on several years, no probs., wouldn't know the difference.

Offline grunty-motor

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XCA

Offline Kevh

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800xc
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 08:47:31 PM »
I've got cheap Chinese ones on my xc800 think there just as strong if not stronger I've also got Chinese ones on my drz400 I've flipped it and crashed it more times then I've had hot dinners bent the bars smashed the hand guards to bits but never broke the levers.

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White 800 Roadie
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 10:27:00 PM »
https://www.motea.com/de/bremshebel-und-kupplungshebel?gclid=Cj0KCQiA7briBRD7ARIsABhX8aA-BSX77QLm1adFy-i7o4znrvp9wIH5ofVYm3qwzE6nB_v0Cbq3hLMaArVlEALw_wcB   

We are using those on the Tiger and my wife's Ducati perfect quality. After she dropped the Duc the lever was intact but the adapter bit broke. They sent a replacement for 15 Euros within 3 days, the oem bit would have needed complete replacement for 5 times the price. On the Tiger I am using the foldable version dropped the bike to the side while trying to put it on the centre stand brake lever just folded no damage at all.
Live is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 11:54:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Derchef1962 [+]
On the Tiger I am using the foldable version dropped the bike to the side while trying to put it on the centre stand brake lever just folded no damage at all.

I opted for the same ones, foldable (red) after similar static lay down damage.  :017:

https://www.motea.com/en/brake-lever-and-clutch-lever-set-safety-triumph-tiger-800-xc-15-19-foldable-116933-0

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,8042.msg246889.html#msg246889
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 07:24:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by tripletour [+]
I dont have any experiance with 3rd party levers but would you really trust a cheap untested lever with 80% of your braking?

Triumph will have a specific set of quality control requirements for such a critical safety part. I doubt others manufacturers do.

Triumphs specific control requirements will be for the parts buyers to buy in bulk as cheaply as possible from the same Chinese manufacturers that advertise on eBay.
Levers are formed alloy it is not rocket science to make a lever for a motorcycle people have been doing it for nearly 120 years and although I have not been around that long I have never heard of any brake lever snapping off in the riders hands during normal operation.
There is nothing wrong with the eBay levers or indeed most accessory parts on eBay provided the buyer does a little due diligence and looks at seller rating and comments from purchasers and also compares different sellers to make sure they are not paying grossly to much or too little for what appears to be the same product.

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 09:08:51 AM »
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch