Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 XCx - Routing for Sat Nav cable to battery?  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Cadence

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 XCx
2018 XCx - Routing for Sat Nav cable to battery?
« on: January 28, 2019, 08:24:25 PM »
Hello Folks,

Like other owners of 2018 bikes,  Ive had a fail on the use of the horn as a power source for my sat nav. So it looks like Im running an earth + power to the battery with an in-line fuse.

This is my first Triumph and and Im reluctant to start pulling body panels off in the hope that theres some routing access behind them (Its shiny new with 6 miles on the clock! So doing at the set-up work whilst theyre throwing salt at the roads)

Have any 2018 spec owners (TFT screen versions) found a smart routing for the cables?

Many thanks
2018 Tiger XCx, KTM690 Enduro R, KTM400EXC Factory, BMW R1200GS Adv, BMW G650GS, 1953 Norton ES2 500, 1953 Norton Model 50, KTM640 Duke 2, Harley Davidson FDFX, Honda XR400R, Kawasaki Z900, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki KE125, Suzuki AS50

Offline bucksfizz

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800 XRT
Re: 2018 XCx - Routing for Sat Nav cable to battery?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 11:09:24 PM »
Some of us have hooked into the "unused" white connector block under the seat - see https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,24111.0.html.
It is now assumed that this connector block is going to be used as the turn-by-turn Triumph/Google satellite navigation for all TFT display bikes.
However, as I won't be using that system, I am quite happy to use the block as a power supply for my TomTom.

Offline Flyfifer

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 11:16:34 PM »
: :110: I do not understand why folks do not research this forum for answers to their dilemas.
There is a thread that explicitly identifies how to use an ignition switched +12v on 2018 bikes.
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,24111.0.html
As regards a routing removing the small fairing panel in the same way as bikes since 2015 gives an easy cable route alongside the tank.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 12:18:39 AM »
I always just use an Eastern Beaver 3CS three circuit switched fuse block for accessories. They are dead easy to install then when you connect accessories to them it is a simple job and everything just turns off with the ignition. I have used the same 3CS fuse block on my last three bikes so value for money is right up there.
Connecting more and more things directly to the battery terminals is not a great idea.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 12:32:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by Cadence [+]
... Im reluctant to start pulling body panels off in the hope that theres some routing access behind them...

Not a shiny 2018, but a 2015 and I simply fed my Garmin feed cable from battery/supply box through next to the air filter housing and alongside the main wiring loom on the left side, loosely looped a few cable ties around both, pushed the cable back behind main loom as far as possible and gently nipped cable ties up. Parted away from loom, cable tie to left front indicator feed wire and then a few cable ties following existing handlebar wiring.

(left edge of pic)

(small cable tie to wiring)

Unless you went closely looking you wouldn't notice the wire on the main harness.  :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline bucksfizz

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 09:35:29 AM »
 :0461:

I never had to remove any body panels to feed the cable from the sat nav to a power source under the seat.

Offline Flyfifer

• Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 10:16:31 AM »
I have always found it useful to take the little panel ( that has Tiger sticker on it) off. One button head screw and slide this little panel back. Sliding it back takes it off a horizontal locating "leg".
It is obvious how it located when you take it off --- making replacement easy.
Taking the panel off lets you run the wiring and secure it.
Remove either off side or near side which ever you want.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 11:17:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
I always just use an Eastern Beaver 3CS three circuit switched fuse block for accessories. They are dead easy to install then when you connect accessories to them it is a simple job and everything just turns off with the ignition. I have used the same 3CS fuse block on my last three bikes so value for money is right up there.
Connecting more and more things directly to the battery terminals is not a great idea.

:0461: :460:
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline Flyfifer

• Tiger Master
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 11:31:03 AM »
The wee box from Mark's Motorcycle Parts does a similar job. Four five amp outlets and one Two amp. Fitted with "Self healing" fuses.
Effectively a smart relay.

Offline Cadence

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 XCx
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 05:49:02 PM »
Thank you for all the replies - picking up the main points in the above..........

I did consider the white plug near the alarm socket and read the excellent post about this, but then discounted that after I read about the pending Bluetooth dongle due this spring.

Yes, I did research the forums at length and didnt find the links I needed, but thanks for the pointers

Thank you - appreciated the pics and advice on routing - exactly what I was looking for.

Im fitting a Hawk plug n play alarm (lets see!) and Adventure Spec carrier plate tomorrow so Ill tackle the hardwire whilst Ive got the battery disconnected.

Cheers
2018 Tiger XCx, KTM690 Enduro R, KTM400EXC Factory, BMW R1200GS Adv, BMW G650GS, 1953 Norton ES2 500, 1953 Norton Model 50, KTM640 Duke 2, Harley Davidson FDFX, Honda XR400R, Kawasaki Z900, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki KE125, Suzuki AS50

Recent Topics